Winchelsea Nef 1274 A.D. by Louie da fly - FINISHED - 1:75

Superb job!!!!   Well done!!!!  :imNotWorthy:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

What a great project, fully realized. Wish I could see it in person. Thanks for teaching me so much while I followed your build.

16 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

But that's 50% of the fun! Speculation, research, trying to make sense from pictures and descriptions with far too little information, and ending up with something that looks beautiful and would have worked as a seagoing vessel.

Steven

I think that's the spirit that has shone through in this build log and made this such an interesting model to follow. Thanks for the journey Steven, it's been educational and enjoyable.

Thanks for the road trip, Steven.  It's been a joy to watch and see your research and reasoning for each decision along the way.   I'm looking forward to your finishing the Great Harry.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work Steven, a very interesting and well executed build.  I have enjoyed the journey.

cheers

Pat

p.s.  As much as I tried, I could not see Ron's telepromter!  ;) 

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

As much as I tried, I could not see Ron's telepromter!  ;) 

Oh, and he's shaved off his moustache - perhaps a sort of reverse-Movember?

In the meantime, here's some photos taken by my lovely wife Louisa, who (unlike me) actually knows how to work a camera! But first, for comparison, a picture of the original town seal upon which the model is based.

964817587_SealofthecityofWinchelsea(1274).thumb.jpg.fc05cdcd01efaa9bb2d8a13d5dc8f326.jpg

2021522326_smallphotosideview.jpg.1ec5733f6e000ed48d6d650bc5378cb5.jpg

1890968871_smallphotofromabove.jpg.7cf0d15ba515a9fcbac603b7357a9b80.jpg

One thing that seeing these photos does for me - because of the carved figures - is to give a better sense of scale for the ship - how big it is in the "real world"

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Congratulations!  Very well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

A very nice model 👍

Thanks for this educational and interesting buildlog. It was a pleasure to follow

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Congratulations to a very nice model. 

It has been a pleasure and very interesting to follow your progress. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice model, Steven, and I learned a few things along the way.

👍

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thank you everyone for all the flattering comments. I'm going to be on a two week break from modelling (got a lot of stuff to do around the house and garden), then get back into the Great Harry restoration.

Steven

Congrats for finishing this wonderful model.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Steven, 

Went through your complete built and got a good education about a ship from that time period. 

This ship has been beautifully executed. The plug you created worked out great and I love the lines of the planking, very sleek.
Your carved figures look great as well. Putting figures on a ship feels like that there is something going on, like there is a story behind it.  Ab Hoving did that as well on his pleasure yacht. 

On post #144 there are several pictures from Viking longships at that museum. I visited that museum (Copenhagen Viking museum) in 2017 and pretty much spent all day there and took lots of pictures. I especially liked the woodworking shop where they were building a Viking longboat with the tools from that time. They also had trees in pots

In 2017, my wife and I flew to Amsterdam, hung out for a couple of days and then rented a car and drove through Northern Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.  We visited every maritime museum on the way.  The Viking museum in Oslo has several complete Viking longboats and many artifacts that go into the burial mound one someone is buried (boat, artifacts and the Viking).

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thanks, people. Silverman, I hadn't really decided to have this bloke hidden from view to still fit with the town seal, it just turned out that way. Once I'd decided to show the cargo, I had to somehow come up with a scenario to fit it in with the ship being about to leave port. So I came up with someone just doing the final touches in closing up the hold, which fitted both requirements.

Marcus, I'd love to see the Viking ships, and particularly observe people in the process of building replicas with the original tools and methods. As an old mediaeval re-enactor that's right up my alley. Something I'd been hoping to do (before Covid hit) was to travel to France and visit the castle they're building in Guedelon using only traditional methods,

and volunteer my services for a week or two, even if only as a labourer.

In the meantime, I'm going to be working on the Great Harry, while researching my next build - I'm looking at something mediaeval (surprise, surprise!)

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Steven, I just realised that I have been remiss in not commenting on the wonderful nef you have reconstructed. The figures add a good impression of the scale and the realities of working a vessel with just wind and muscles. I hope that the trumpeters were expected to pull on a rope too! Splendid work and I love the barrels. What about putting it in a diorama?

Dick😃

Current build: 

Le Gros Ventre 1:48 POF   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/564-le-gros-ventre-by-woodrat-scale-1-48-pof-1767-french-exploration-vessel/

Past builds:

Mycenaean War Galley by Woodrat - 1:48 - Shell first Plank on Frame:https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33384-mycenaean-war-galley-by-woodrat-148-shell-first-plank-on-frame

Venetian round ship 14th century by Woodrat fully framed - 1:40 scalCompleted

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/17991-venetian-round-ship-14th-century-by-woodrat-fully-framed-140-scale

Venetian Carrack or Cocha 1/64 by woodrat   https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4915-venetian-carrack-or-cocha-164-by-woodrat        completed

United States Frigate Essex 1:64 POF   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4496-usf-essex-by-woodrat-scale-1-64-fully-framed-from-takakjian-plans/ - completed 

Yenikapi12 by Woodrat - 1/16 scale - a small Byzantine merchant vessel of the 9th century

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23815-yenikapi12-by-woodrat-116-scale-a-small-byzantine-merchant-vessel-of-the-9th-century-finished/

The Incredible Hulc by Woodrat - an experimental reconstruction of a mediaeval transport

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25641-the-elusive-hulc-by-woodrat-finished-a-speculative-reconstruction-of-a-mediaeval-merchantman-132-plank-on-frame/

Nice job, Steve!  You did a great job of researching the vessel, carving the figures, and finishing your model.  It is an inspiration to the rest of us to do our own 'due diligence' in research, persistence, and tackling new builds.  Seeing your carved figures encourages me to try myself.

Mark

Results, not Excuses,

AnchorClanker

“Behold, how good and pleasant it is

when brothers and sisters dwell in unity!"

Ps 133:1

• 1 year later...

Granted, Steve, this model is completed and is a great looking model!  Thank you for all the great photos and explanations of how you planked your ship.  It is helping answering questions in my mind on how to do the planking.  In particular, how to shape the planks, how to attach them to the stem and stern posts, and how to ‘fair’ them before glueing to the stem and stern posts.  Your method of using slivers of wood to fill in gaps is a good piece of advice.  

I am working at redoing my frame plans; double and triple checking measurements, reducing the thickness and breadth of frame, the stem post, keel, and stern post, and making templates for making sure the frames are true when attaching to the keel and posts.  

Keep up the great work!

Mark

Results, not Excuses,

AnchorClanker

“Behold, how good and pleasant it is

when brothers and sisters dwell in unity!"

Ps 133:1