Rebuilding the fleet by mikegr - 1/700 - restoring old plastic models

Wow, good luck!  Did you build those?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Looking forward to this  - I know how difficult it can be to re-work models.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

18 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow, good luck!  Did you build those?

yes i built these at the age of 15-25.

A couple of years ago i was browsing on ebay then bought a couple of kits. Now i have more than 100. But before start making these i decided to rebuild the old ones so i can practice with new materials and techniques (PE parts, rigging etc). I also doing scratchbuilt project which enchanced my skills a bit further.

Before presenting my future project i will make a short review of some completed last year

USS San Diego by Matchbox. Rebuilt with some PE parts (AA guns ,rails and sme radar). Actually the whole model except hull sides need PE replacements but anyway

Alongside is DD 537 USS The Sullivans,  named by the 5 brothers killed  when their ship, USS Juneau, was sunk by a Japanese submarine

1.jpg

2.jpg

Its that age old problem, where to display everything we make :(  looking forward to following this task.

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

4 hours ago, CDW said:

That's a fleet of built models! Do you have any plan on how much time you will spend doing restoration on each model? You could potentially sink a lot of time into restoration but it should be rewarding and fun. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Time...

Obviously depends in what are you want to achieve. Here's is an answer from a time expert along with his work

"Painting is essential for the 3D look. I highlight and shade them like I would with any figure at any scale, according to the light coming from above. This emphasises the 3D-look very much, and makes the figures appear more detailed and refined.

Only drawback to these techniques: it is time-consuming. When working in series, I spend 1,5 to 2 minutes on the tickening of each figure, while painting takes about 5 minutes per figure. Together with preparation and installing, this makes about 10 minutes per figure. Not too bad, but it adds up quickly. Morris has 59 on her now, and I estimate the diorama will take about 1000 more...
But hey, good results do take some effort, don't they?"

naymaxia-geronta.jpg

Next project was USS Independence CVL by Revell. The flyhawk kit of its time. Althouth there were some fitting issues, especially at the front, the overall details were  exeptional plus it had several sprues of spare parts which i still use today sometimes.

1.jpg

2.jpg

22.jpeg

Edited by mikegr

4 hours ago, amateur said:

Your display has also been upgraded (and will be certainly more space consuming than the old "display on a dusty shelf"

Did you only clean the model, or did you completely rework the paint?

Jan

Yes I make plexiglass cases for my models from now on. But the chloroform dilute is a top secret among professionals so I glue it with CA thus case looks whitish at joints.

The enamel paint lasted great all these years but new PE pieces added and since I didnt remember the code I had to respray everything

15818683473268560278787660626698.jpg

Most recent rebulit was Yamashiro by Aoshima.

Really bad and inaccurate model. Note the turret after the funnel. It points this way because there is not enough space between funnel and aft tower.

Also the upper deck unlike forecastle and rear deck is smooth, without panel lines. Ordering a wooden deck sticker would set me back several weeks so i just painted it gray.

Al least i was satisfied with the sea bed even if i didnt use any special materials.

IMG_20200503_195857.jpg

11.jpg

22.jpg

Edited by mikegr

• 2 weeks later...

I made the funnel caps. The ring where the cap will sit on, was not included in PE parts so I made them using 0.5 mm brass wire

IMG_20210920_184405.thumb.jpg.60b7aa1470f0850181896c0756e34b5a.jpg

Next are the 8 pom pom AA guns. They are comprised from various parts, the base, the barrels, the barrel case and two ammunition boxes. Shaping the latter into rectangle was out of question at least for my level. I just cut the boxes from the plastic parts and glued them

IMG_20210920_185645.thumb.jpg.6a45e8543b24b41dc19fbbd3e4991f13.jpgIMG_20210920_192523.thumb.jpg.ba8764800cb20f4f8b23f7ef5bdf3b91.jpg

For the Walrus aircraft there is not PE parts. So I had to based on my skills. There is a set Walrus aircraft from flyhawk offering amazing details but waiting some weeks to get them is not an option.  Besides this is an obsolete built, 100% perfection is impossible. I mostly use these models as a test field for materials and techniques that is haven't used in the past like PE, rigging and ofcourse making realistic sea bed.

IMG_20211002_160934.thumb.jpg.ea6aa32068e41c9c265f9a547fce7c55.jpgIMG_20211002_160947.thumb.jpg.e61deac51a5a80d831fea3d2657bac88.jpgIMG_20210929_163944.thumb.jpg.a746f71ce51a5d6cbdc989cebd2331a2.jpg

+1 vote for needles, i'm using them for drilling. They're extremely sharp.

I started following the thread, as i have a couple of childhood ships to be restore and improve (a lot).

(and sorry for remark, but i laughed when read Prince of Whales - if it was intended pun, then brilliant!)