HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the very kind words gents, with these little beggers plenty of encouragement is always a good thing, they can be fun but very very fragile. :)  :) :)  :)  

After working on the main hull which is a real beast they can become susceptible to heavy handidness and so the bulkheads or frames do get busted quite easily. :(  :(

Augie,  If I were Texxn and had 7 boats, I think I would look at them as if it were after the hunt, ( all sunk ), 4 is enough for me. :D  :D :D  

Pierre, John,  Thanks gents for the information regarding the length of oars, I will have to make adjustments because I've made a few amendments to the boats, you have given me a very good guide to work by, thanks.    :cheers:

Grant,  They may be quicker to build but they are not a patch on yours, sincerely.   :) :)

Sjors, Adriaan Patrick, Wayne, Aldo, Hamilton and Jeff, Thank you guys very much for your very kind words. :)  :)

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi George,

Don't rush it mate, enjoy every part of this build if you can. Unfortunately everything completed is a step nearer to finishing and I don't want to do that. :(  :(

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Hi Mobbsie,

With you there mate, don't want it to end either. As soon as I get in from work I'm strait on

the Agamemnon. Love one day to build another 2/3 decker but where to put it is the problem.

Anyway keep up the good work, loosing ground on you now.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mobbsie

After a few busy weeks I’m trying to catch up on all the posts.

Now I find it rather difficult to still find some standing space among the chorus of your admirers to add my tiny voice to theirs. I’ll try anyhow: Great work. I like those boats. Up to now I thought they would be difficult to build that way; but if you can do it in a few days even we mortals should be able to finish one in a month or so. Keep the good work up! :)

Cheers

Peter

Hi Guys,

George, Space always seems a problem, we in the UK suffer the smallest houses in Europe unless you want to pay countless thousands for a larger property, my place is a 3 bedroom end terrace and is one of the larger builds in our street, built in 1950 it is solid but still not enough room for all that I would like to build, so deciding on what to build becomes quite important, I was thinking of Dianna but will probably have second thoughts on that due to her size, I will most likely go small until Caldercrafts Surprise is ready, I still want her.

Peter,  Thank you for your very kind words. The small boats aren't that difficult but there is a lot of work involved with them, they do suffer some damage to the bulkheads mainly because your used to working on the main hull which is a brute of a lump. I'm pleased that mine are all done.

At last the little boats are completed, there was a lot more work in them than I expected but I think they came out OK.

The oar shafts are a little thick but the length is right, I got the formular from Milton Roth's "Ship Modeling from Stem to Stern".

I do have a few pics which I will post.

The 26ft Launch

post-493-0-96654300-1382730540_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-05708800-1382730601_thumb.jpg

The 24ft Cutter

post-493-0-59838000-1382730664_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-88892300-1382730686_thumb.jpg

The 18ft Cutter

post-493-0-97451600-1382730860_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-62088800-1382730887_thumb.jpg

Finally all four boats together as they will be positioned on the ship

post-493-0-41401400-1382730958_thumb.jpg

So there we are, right up to date with where I am, next step is making the masts, the size of walking sticks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

Those little ones are just amazing !

Great job you have done to them.

You take them with you when you are coming ???????

And be sure, you go back without them !!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Say Tony, since Sjors is going to let Anja take a trip across the channel on his SI, how 's about you being a good sport mate, and lend him one of your ship's boats so he can follow her :D :D .... all kidding aside, GREAT!! job on the boats Mobbsie.... they look smashing!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Fine, fine looking craft Mobbsie.... :10_1_10:

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Very well done.  Like I always say....... the smaller it is, the longer it takes.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

very nice job on the ship's boats Mobbsie.......I think the oars look fine.   I never made oars before either......took me about thirty of them,  to come up with four that looked good enough for the finishing touches.......for the Susan A..   I kept all the other ones,  just in case I have another build that needs them.

their going to look good stowed on the deck.......I notice that you have one already lashed down......is that one mounted on top of another one?

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Um......thanks Popeye.  But I'll defer to Mobbsie on the ship's boats  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

see.....I need help........even when I write  :D :D :D :D

I have to remember Augie........your not at this stage yet  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Both Mobbsie and yourself will have another 2 ships built by the time I get to my ship's boats!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

heck........I'll probably be caught up with my back log before then........I'm trying my best not to start another one :)  it's hard though..........oh,  so hard :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I just love these great ships with the multiple kits in one. Aggy and her 4 boats. I've really come to love the small vessels, including the fleet ships boats. I hate where some kits give you a plastic or metal long boats. That said...

Excellent work on the 4 boats mobbsie.

and since I always have questions - Just curious was the pinnace's green trim for a reason? I know the pinnace was decorated sometimes as the Captain saw fit, I was just curious if there was a historic reason behind the green as it doesn't seem common on the HMS vessels I've seen, which isn't alot.

I know what you mean on the display case also. Thats why I've decided to give my builds away and let them pay that part. :)

Keep up the good speedy work my friend, its excellent as always.

I am at a loss for further superlatives, Tony, so will, in the interest of brevity and, quite frankly, in a condition akin to that which one experiences upon the completion of the opening movement of a symphony, can but say "Bravo"!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

The ship's boats look great, Mobbsie! Great detail - can't wait to see them stowed on deck!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Guys,

Wow, I never expected a response like this, makes me feel so very humble, thank you all for the kind words. :)  :) :)  

Popeye,    All the boats have been lashed to their cradles and will be positioned on the beams, none of the boats are stowed on top of another, I don't have a photo at the moment but I will take one with them in position. With regard to the oars I found the specifications which fits all sizes,

Outboard Length is 1.25 x the Beam of the Boat

Length inboard is      .35 x the Beam of the Boat

Length of Blade is     .30 x the Length of the Oar   This also includes the blade housing on the shaft

Width of Blade at Tip         Six Inches ( 6" )

Diameter of Shaft       1/48 Length of the Oar

As the beam is different on all the boats they are all slightly different in length. I did cheat when making the blades, I cut them from card and trimmed when the oar was complete. Hope that makes sense mate. :mellow:  :mellow:

Keith,     There is no historical colour scheme for any of the boats, I just thought the Pinnace would be used by the Captain or senior officer and so should be different from the rest, I quite like the colour though. I have thought about giving mine to some poor unsuspecting person but I don't know if I could inflict that much pain on anybody, if I tried they would probably ask for the monitory value instead. :D  :D

John ( Jim Lad )    The boats will be placed as recommended in the manual, I haven't put them on yet as there are Cavel Cleats below on the gun deck and I will need to get to them when rigging, with the boats on that would be virtually impossible.

Wayne,   I think I understood what you were saying, thank you. ^_^  :D  :D :D  :D  :D  

Frank,   Sjors is over his ailment now and has put a bit of weight on, I don't think the little boats would do the job. :D  :D  :D

Augie,   Your not wrong about the time it takes to knock  these little ones out, I suppose I've been working on them for the last  2 - 3 weeks, not continuously because life gets in the way plus I've had side projects as well, of the construction type for he who cannot be named.

Sjors,   Sorry mate their stopping here, no more room in the case. :P  :P

Hamilton, Pierre & Jim,   Thanks guys for your very kind words.

Also for those who have hit the like button, thank you very much, it's appreciated.

OK gents it's coming up for 02:30 here so it's time for me to hit the sack.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

They are beautiful.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hi Mobbsie,

Well done, your ships boats look fantastic and the oars look very realistic. I look forward to seeing them lashed to the Aggie's deck :) 

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Hi Guys,

Mort, Grant & Jeff, Thank you so much for your very kind words, coming from you guys it's a real compliment.

As requested some pics of the boats sitting in position on the boat beams, they are not fixed yet because I need to get to some cavel cleats on the gun deck.

The boats are in their correct position and order so all that's needed to fix them is a spot of glue on the cradles.

post-493-0-58321400-1382783115_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-80840900-1382783145_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-35068200-1382783177_thumb.jpg

I have now moved the Aggy out of the workroom because I am going to be making sawdust, I don't want to have to be cleaning her up because she's covered in the stuff. I could just cover her but when wielding long sticks about some damage may occur.

The length of the Lower Main Mast is 465mm, the overall height of the Main Mast is going to be 974mm off the ship.

That's it for now gents, thank you again for your kind comments.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

She certainly is a 'busy' ship with those boats in position.  But then, men of war were not meant to be luxury yachts.  I can't even imagine what she'll look like when she's fully rigged.

Beautiful work, my friend.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nelson's favorite ship is really coming alive with your careful attention. The ship's boats look great in their places and I'm very anxious to see some masts and rigging with your skills.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

She looks just "AWESOME"...... really nice work Tony

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

The ship's boats really bring her to life! Well done Mobbsie!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy