HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Mobbsie,

You need to clear out you PM mailbox mate - it won't let me send you anymore! ;)

Hi Grant,

All sorted mate, send away.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mobbsie great work on the ships boats they look fab wise move not to fix them until after rigging but nice to see them in place. Diana is not much smaller that Aggie and storage is a problem I cannot have mine in cases and Diana will take the last space. I may build Aggie next alongside a (dog boat) a motor gun boat it will delay the storage/display problem but will compromise my building space time will tell.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

that's quite an arrangement you have there!   Aggie is sure looking spiffy now!   you do some beautiful work.....very nice 'n clean ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Guys,

Thanks guys for the good word, I really do appreciate your comments. :)  :)

Ray,  I will not be putting the Aggie in a case either, she is big and adding a case would put the cost of the ship + case at over a £1,000, I couldn't justify that. I will find a spot for her but only with the Admirals permission, I do have a spot in mind so here's hoping. :(

George,  Believe me mate she's going to get a whole lot busier, I'm now coming up to the part of the build that I love the most, building the masts, spars and doing the rigging and it's my intension to do it right this time, rope serving, proper seizing and the correct knots. A lot of that work will be done off the ship and added as we go, wish me luck. ^_^  ^_^

Randy,   Coming from you mate is a real compliment thank you so much. :dancetl6:

Popeye,  It's because of builders like you that we ordinary guys have to try harder each time, just to keep up with your very high standard.

Your innovation and scratch skills are immense and are a constant source of inspiration. ( Is your back wet yet ) :D  :D :D  :D  :D  

Hamilton,  Thanks my friend, I'm following your HMS Blandford from a distance and the detail your getting on a ship so small is truly amazing. She is 25mm longer than my Lower Main Mast. :huh:  :huh: :huh:  :huh:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

Lawrence,  Its no trouble at all mate, here are the oar lengths :- You have to break the oar into 3 sections, ( inboard, outboard, blade )

32ft Pinnace,  Length 155mm ( without rudder )   Oar Length  72mm,   Inboard 20mm,  Outboard 35mm,  Blade 17mm

26ft Launch,   Length  128mm ( without rudder )  Oar Length 72mm,   Inboard 21mm,  Outboard 38mm,  Blade 13mm

24ft Cutter,     Length  117mm ( without rudder )  Oar Length 64mm,   Inboard 21mm,  Outboard 30mm,  Blade  13mm

18ft Cutter,     Length    89mm ( without rudder )   Oar Length 55mm,   Inboard  16mm,  Outboard 30mm,  Blade  9mm

Hope that helps mate, If I can help in any other way please don't hesitate to ask, and thanks for looking in and for the good word. :)  :) :)  

A quick update but no pics at this moment but it wont be long, Lower three masts are well on the way to completion and the lower main top is done apart from ringbolts and blocks. :)  :)

I will post the pics when all lower masts and the tops are completed.

Until then, Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

she looks lovely, im still watching everyone, even though i have gone all plastic for a while

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

It's going to be a pleasure to watch you rig her.  She is going to be spectacular!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Best of luck mate. Riggings not my favourite but masts and yard I enjoy doing those.

Let me know what sort of percentage of knots you can do off ship. Would like to do

proper knots etc. but get very frustrated doing them on ship. 

Just about to start hammock netting on my Aggie. Think its the ship decorations

next. So many different little projects on this beast. 

George

Hamilton,  Thanks my friend, I'm following your HMS Blandford from a distance and the detail your getting on a ship so small is truly amazing. She is 25mm longer than my Lower Main Mast. :huh:  :huh: :huh:  :huh:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

mobbsie

What!! That puts your built in quite a bit of perspective for me!! Essentially this means the Aggy is well out of my price range - not because of the kit itself, but because I'd have to buy a larger house for it! And at Vancouver prices....forget it!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Popeye, I would have missed the pants off you guys, true friends cannot be replaced.

I will be posting some progress soon but I have experienced a form of builders block so progress has been slow.

The lower masts are dry fitted and I'm currently working on the blocking the fighting tops or mast platforms.

I want to thank Grant so very much for sending me a full set of blocks for my Agamemnon, they are even better than the pictures show and deserve my best attention.

Grant I promise to do my duty, to you and the blocks and to do my best at all times.( I knew the scout oath would come in handy.) :D

I would also like to thank everybody who showed their support and sent their good wishes during what has been a difficult few days.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Guys,

Here are a few pics of the progress so far, not that much to see but at least you will know where I am.

Thanks Grant for the positive remarks on the alignment of the masts, I was a bit worried.

Masts dry fitted

post-493-0-53943400-1385123391_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-03763400-1385123433_thumb.jpg

Underside of the main fighting top, I extended the length to reduce clutter, I hope. Also the mast cap with sister or long blocks

post-493-0-97200400-1385123549_thumb.jpg

Topside of main fighting top

post-493-0-20106100-1385123817_thumb.jpg

Underside of partly blocked fore mast also mast cap with sister or long blocks

post-493-0-43571000-1385123891_thumb.jpg

Topside of fore mast fighting tops

post-493-0-02987100-1385123991_thumb.jpg

So that's it guys, now you know exactly where I am.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

The masts and tops are very nice indeed.  Now she'll go from large to gigantic.

Curious about your comment on the main fighting top.  I assume you meant wider, not longer?  Nice idea.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the good words and Augie, ya she's gonna get a whole lot bigger.

The blocks on the tops are shown in the instructions as being tight under the tops attached to eyebolts, I also checked with Peterssons and they still show tight to the tops but are pegged through the tops.

My thoughts at the time was to attach to eyebolts but make the strops longer, two reasons, 1, When fixed tight to eyebolts the blocks become fairly rigid and inflexible and the lines don't seem to flow right ( at least they do on mine ) 2, By making the strops longer I'm hoping to ease up on the clutter from shrouds, stays & pennants ect. that's the theory anyway.

Hope that explains it mate. :)  :)

mobbsie

mobbsie

I learn from the master Sjors

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Lawrence / Pierre

Thanks for your support guys and the very kind words.

To answer your question Pierre the masts were just painted, I used Admiralty Dull Black and Admiralty Yellow Ochre, as you can see I am a fan of that particular paint, I do also use from time to time Revell Aqua Color and Humbrol but I'm not so fond of them.

Hope that helps mate.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Thanks for the clarification Mobbsie.  Yes, I learned a little late that fixing the blocks too fast can cause some problems later on.  I got by but your forethought will save some headaches!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

masting looks great Mobbsie.......so,  your going to do them one step at a time?  it's going to make it easier to do the shrouds...of course,  if I was doing a ship of that size,  I might have done my build the same way.   very nice!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mobbsie  Nice masts, good idear to extend the lengths it will made threading the rigging much less hassle, it all gets a bit busy under the tops a bit later.

Glad the build is back.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Nice work on your masts ans tops!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for very kind comments, much appreciated.

Lawrence,  To answer your question mate, there are two types bindings, there are the Wooldings which are 0.5mm black thread wrapped around the mast 7 times, Then there are the iron bands which are made of cartridge paper, wrapped once around the mast.

We didn't but the Clogs Lawrence, the Admiral had already bought some porcelain clogs on a previous visit, that was when we met Anja & Sjors for the very first time.

George, Sorry for the delay in answering your question mate but unfortunately I've had other things on my mind, I haven't worked it out accurately but I would say 75-80% of blocks could be tied off the ship, certainly all the gun tackle blocks and any block which is fixed to an eyebolt, half of the shroud deadeyes.

You may have to knock up a jig for the gun tackles, but the rest are fairly easy.

Hope that helps mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind comments, very much appreciated.

Lawrence to answer your questions, there are two types of banding on the masts, the first is the Wooldings, these are made up from 0.5mm black thread and wrapped around the mast 7 times, the other are the iron bands which are made from black cartridge paper wrapped just once.

No we didn't buy the clogs on this trip, the Admiral bought some porcelain clogs on a previous trip when we first met with Anja and Sjors, she has since planted them up.

George, Sorry for the delay in answering your question mate but I've had a few other things on my mind these last few days, I haven't worked it out but you should be able to tie 75-80% of the blocks off the ship, certainly all the gun tackles, half the shroud deadeyes and most of the blocks which are fixed to eyebolts. I knocked up a mock gun port to give me the distances for the gun carriage's, all the block are fitted to the carriage's and bulwarks by hooks so no need for tying, I did have to buy an extra 120 hooks to do it.

I have included a picture of the mock gun port I knocked up.

post-493-0-49207600-1385376534_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps guys, if you have any more questions I'd be pleased to answer them if I can.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie