HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Hi Guys,

My turn to add an update on progress made so far.

Well I ripped out all of the eyebolts from under the platforms and followed the advice from Grant on how they should be done, he kindly sent me some information from one of his practicums which illustrated it perfectly.

The big question was "How in _ells teeth am I going to do that", but it wasn't as bad as I first thought. So it was with some trepidation that I drilled my first hole in the Main Platform followed by another 11. The results you will see.

The railings and netting was fitted next.

I have since fitted the Mizzen Platform to the mast but the Main and Fore Mast Platforms are only dry fitted.

Next came the Burton Pendants, I made hard eyes for these out of 4mm dowel, I drilled out the centres with a 1.8mm bit and filed them down to the size required. I then had to serve rope for the Mizzen Pendants, Then it happened, my super duper server fell apart, the gearing got all jammed up and kept jamming, so I had to pull it apart and virtually start all over again. I now have a server that's got more holes in it than a colander, still it works which is the main thing.

With the rope served I attached the eyes and served the ends, it is now fitted to the mast.

So that's it, not a lot really, but unfortunately life has a habit of getting in the way of building, plus the fact that I have had a bit of builders block, at least that's behind me now.

Some pics.

Top of the Main Platform showing the retaining pegs.

post-493-0-34905200-1395585516_thumb.jpg

The completed Platforms

post-493-0-23928700-1386178009_thumb.jpg

The underside of the Platforms

post-493-0-31404900-1386178060_thumb.jpg

The Burton Pendants on the Mizzen Platform

post-493-0-48910900-1395585620_thumb.jpg

The served rope seized around the mast

post-493-0-50917400-1395585702_thumb.jpg

The 3 masts with platforms

post-493-0-88058900-1386178229_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-30018200-1386178384_thumb.jpg

So there we have it, next step is the Mizzen shrouds.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Very nice looking progress there, Mobbsie.  Sorry to hear of the difficulties with the serving machine.  I think Sjors has one he might rent to you.

Thanks for the photo of the mock gun setup.  Will come in handy in about a year.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

That looks great Mobbsie !

Especially your ropes under the platforms !

Sorry to hear about the serving machine ?

You want mine ??????? :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

P.S. Thank you for giving me more work !

Now I have to remove my eyebolts under the platform  :(

Those masts and tops look fantastic Mobbsie.  I was about to put in some eyebolts on the underside of the top as well (although I only have 4 to do!) but may rethink my approach and copy you.  I'm sure to be embarrassing myself here, but what are burton pendants for, and did all ships have them?  I don't see any reference to them in my plans.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Mobbsie,

Great job on the re-do of the mast platform blocks. They look great and I know you will be much happier with them. I still think this was the cause of your "block" (pun intended)! The burton pendants look very well done too. You'll race ahead from here my friend - looking forward to seeing completion photos next week. ;)

Hi Jason

Thanks for the good words mate, much appreciated.

According to my book The Art of Rigging by G. Biddlecomb they are called Burton Tackles, and they were used for setting up the Top Mast Shrouds and to support he Top Sail Yards.

As far as I'm aware and I've not done any research on this but I believe only British ship used them, most ships that were captured by the Btritish and were still serviceable had their rigging changed in the British fashion.

If you like I can send you some pictures of how I went about doing the platform blocks.

Hope that helps mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Thank you Grant,

They really weren't as hard to do as I first imagined, the Fore Mast platform was the first and the knots were slightly bigger but they soon got trimmed down. :)  :)

That nudge was what I really needed mate, and thanks very much for the info. :cheers:

Next weeks a bit early, maybe the week after. :D  :D :D  :D  

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Lovely work, God i miss you guys,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Mobbsie.

Looking fine.......and if you were to stop right now and start another project, your Aggy looks like a first rate Admiralty model! :cheers:

But I suspect there are sticks, strings and ratlines in your future....... :P

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

awesome work Mobbsie.........so your going to be doing shrouds now.......Great!   even with the scale that I'm working with,  I'm still tying on blocks...........I thought I tied on all I would need.........the great fallacy!   the tops look so good......she's going to look great.  I kinda wish I had done my masts like that......hope you get your serving machine back in order  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking good Mobbsie - I'm trying to picture my Blandford standing on her stern at your mid-ships....just to get a sense of the scale.....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Mobbsie, wow, looking really great.  I still have some furniture to build before I get where you are at, but you have given me a great education on how I'm going to do it.  Do you by chance have any plans or instructions for constructing you serving machine.  I am going to need one and thought I would copy yours if you have no objections....or just some dimensions and gear sizes...anything would help Mate, if Sjors can figure it out, I shouldn't have any problems with it.....lol.....sorry Sjors, culdn't resist......Take care Mate....thanks

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Mobbsie, great and tremendous progress as usual....

If you continue like that your Aggie will be sailing for March!

Some pictures (and plans?) of your serving machine should be very useful for a lot of friends!

(and probably for me too, but in a couple of years).

Pierre

Tony...... you are bloody good mate!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Mobbsie

This is an amazing build!

I follow this from a distance, there is one thing i want to ask you.

Can you give me the dimensions of the hull please.

Such as Lenght from bow to stern, and largest wide.

In centimeters please?

I'am concidering the HMS Agamemnon myself, after i finished my current project.

Current build: HMS Agamemnon 1781

Klaas, from Jotika's webpage here: http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Nelson_5.htm

Scale: 1:64

Length: 1300mm

Beam 490mm

Height 945mm

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi Klaas,

Thanks for looking in mate.

Length from Bow Peak to Stern Lanterns is 93 ctm's,  the width of the Beam at it's widest point is 23 ctm's and the depth from keel to highest point at the stern is 26ctm's.  The height from the bottom of the base to the highest point is 28ctm's.

That's an intriguing question Klaas, are you thinking of building the ship with mast and sprit stubs, never seen that on this build yet.

Hope that helps mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Guys,

Thanks every body for your very kind comments and remarks and all those who pressed the like button, it's very much appreciated.

I have a little update to show so will be posting some pics in a moment.

What have I done so far, Mizzen mast shrouds were served and fitted, Catherpins made up and fitted, Mizzen main stay served and fitted, I used Arthurs method of making the mouse and it works fine, Mizzen Futtock shrouds made up and fitted and finally Ratlines completed on the Port side. 

The Catherpins look a little thick and I guess they are, I used 0.25 brass wire, served with 0.25 thread, attached it to the Futtock staves then fitted them to the shrouds, this made the process of fitting the Catherpins so much easier, I tend to look for as much as possible to do off the ship, that way there is less chance of doing damage which I'm prone to do.

I'm a little disappointed with the shroud servings, they are not as level as I would have liked above the futtock staves, the only saving grace is that it is a bit crowded in that area and difficult to see clearly.

The mouse was made using Arthurs method, anybody wanting to know what that is please look at HMS Vanguard by AEW, page 19 post 280, it really is a good method and so simple to do. I experienced the problems with serving in that the thread kept sliding down the mouse, this was cured by a drop of PVA.

The result of all this was that the Mizzen mast is now in it's correct position, tight and vertical with the correct backward angle of 2 degrees. I was a bit worried that the mast would lean over to port as was happening before fitting the ropes.

Pictures, not that many and not the best quality but you will get the idea of where I am. ( must change my camera ).

Portside deadeyes

post-493-0-97135200-1395586131_thumb.jpg

Mizzen stay deadeyes

post-493-0-97149600-1395586170_thumb.jpg

Mizzen mouse

post-493-0-14964200-1395586203_thumb.jpg

Mizzen tops with the jungle of ropes

post-493-0-12122300-1395586226_thumb.jpg

Beneath the mizzen tops showing the futtock shrouds and ratlines

post-493-0-65043500-1395586247_thumb.jpg

Catherpins

post-493-0-28107600-1395586280_thumb.jpg

Starboard deadeyes from the stern

post-493-0-00546700-1395586303_thumb.jpg

Starboard deadeyes again

post-493-0-99307500-1395586331_thumb.jpg

So there we are guys, your right up to date with where I am. 

Your comments will be well received regarding the thickness of the Catherpins, I wont be changing what's done but will make alterations to the Main and Fore masts if you think they are too thick.

Stay Safe and Warm

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Mobbsie,

Great progress mate. Love your mouse. Since you asked, the catharpins do look a little thick to my eye. On mine, I just used brass wire painted with some acrylic burnt umber that gives the look of oiled leather wrapping (leave the paint a little thick). I think I picked up that trick from David Antscherl's TFFM if I recall correctly.

You might want to check your Mizzen stay deadeyes too. It looks to me from the photo that the lower one (attached to the main mast) is back to front / upside down.

Nice to see you're over the modeller's block anyway! :)

Hi Grant,

Great to hear from you mate. :)

Just checked the deadeye and you are absolutely right, it is back to front, that will be changed as soon as I have completed the starboard mizzen ratlines. :(

Thanks for the tip on the Catherpins, did you bend the wire around the futtock stave or use some other method, with the futtock stave lashings, Catherpin lashings and futtock shroud lashings it really get untidy and busy in there. :)  :) :mellow:  :mellow:  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie