HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Mobbsie, I think what you said is exactly what I was concerned about, (the rat lines no longer being straight). I think you are correct, if you have even tension on both sides when the lanyards are secured, then IF one used proper tension on the ratlines there shouldn't be any issues. Like I said, it was just a thought that flew through my head, and I needed another brain or two to talk it through for me. Thanks to both for your replies.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hi Guys,

Thanks everybody for the nice comments and remarks, and also the guys who pressed the "like" button.

I am going to try for an update using IE10, hopefully I've not been scuppered again.

The Lower Main Mast is now done as far as the shrouds and ratlines are concerned and the next step is the Lower Foremast, I have just put the ropes into the black dye in readiness for that, so as far as the pictures go it's mainly the Main Mast.

I have soaked the Burton Pendants with diluted white glue and they are weighted down so that they hang right.

post-493-0-58471300-1395587772_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-30068100-1395587821_thumb.jpg

Next up is the completed Starboard side ratlines

post-493-0-40950200-1395587913_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-06883400-1395587986_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-99242100-1395588048_thumb.jpg

Now for the Port side, all the deadeyes had to be retied due to the mast leaning to Starboard, the shrouds on retying could almost play a tune they are so tight, but the mast is now straight and all is well.

This is my method of holding the deadeye and rope so that I can seize the shroud.

post-493-0-34039000-1395588119_thumb.jpg

You can see by the tails just how much I have had to adjust the shrouds

post-493-0-73009900-1395588164_thumb.jpg

All the shrouds have been adjusted and the ropes have been tied off and trimmed.

post-493-0-66665500-1395588224_thumb.jpg

This is my method when tying ratlines, the shrouds are clamped together with two boards , the boards are the correct size for the ratlines and keep them straight, they also help to keep the shrouds from moving out of alignment but care still needs to be taken

post-493-0-59004900-1395588291_thumb.jpg

Portside shrouds completed prior to trimming up

post-493-0-13868300-1395588393_thumb.jpg

All trimmed and finished

post-493-0-04982000-1395588414_thumb.jpg

So there we are, right up to date, a bit long winded I know but it's been a while and I wanted to give IE10 a good workout.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

lovely work, roll on me getting back into the Victory build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

she looks great Mobbsie........the ratlines really look superb!   ....an update of epic proportions!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Interesting idea using that board to both hold the shrouds in place and keep the distance between the ratlines even, i like that better than the cardboard pattern stuck behind the shrouds

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

A workout indeed...for both IE 10 and yourself.

Good work on the re-tensioning of the shrouds and your method for ratlines will be worth a try down the road.  You have just the right amount of tension in those.  Do you glue all the knots or just the ones on the outermost shrouds?  Or perhaps none of them??

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very impressive Mobbsie, particularly love the Tweezers in the channels photo, really shows just how robust this build actually is, they aren't as delicate as they look :)

Nice work on the ratlines, I imagine a few medicinal pints were ordered after that lot ;)  just to steady the nerves of course!

Take Care Mate

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Great work Mobbsie! :dancetl6:

The rats will be proud!

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Thanks guys for the good comments, their very much appreciated.

Augie,  I glue every knot, Sjors very kindly got me some Pattex Special, It's very good and when dry doesn't show up unlike CA which does. It takes about 5 minutes to set so there is time to make adjustments if needed.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Hi great work on the ratlines they look very nicely tensioned and even .

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Great looking ratlines and great idea for jig to keep the shrouds spaced properly.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lovely ratlines.  A big job done really nicely.

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

CONGRATULATIONS on a great log of a superb build.   Im just about to start rigging my Cruiser and have been doing some research through the forem and books and so far your log has been very helpful especially as a lot of the terminology is new to me . Your pictures explain so much.   I think i have all blocks and eyes on the masts and believe my next move is to clue masts to hull followed by fitting shrouds and ratlines    My question to all you more experienced riggers is if i fit the lower shrouds now will they not be in the way when i get to fit the running rigging . I APOLAGISE  for asking questions on your log but you seem to have a lot of expert followers .Once again FANTASTIC build and keep the good work and pictures coming

Wow, thank you all so very much for your very kind comments and remarks and the like button, I didn't think for one moment I would get a response like that. :)  :) :)  :)  

Lawrence, I use 2 made up lengths of timber made up to the size of the spacing, they go either side of the ratlines and are clamped into position using small bulldog clips, there is a picture of them fitted to the shrouds in my last post, hope that answers your question mate. :P  :P

Shihawk, Thanks for looking in and I'll try to answer your question. To make it short the answer is YES, but whatever lines you do first they all get in the way of each other, there is an order that must be followed which will save a lot of aggro later. It is thought to be better to work from stern to bow, but this is a matter of preference. ;)

I have found out by reading other logs from builders who are a lot better and experienced than me that it is better to start on the Mizzen then Main followed by the Fore mast and then the Bowsprit. After the Masts have been stepped ( do not glue ) it is best to complete the lower shrouds and ratlines. When you have completed them move back aft and start on the Topmasts and then the Topgallants, it is recommended that the Standing rigging be completed before you start on the Running rigging. :)  :)

Unfortunately it's in this type of vessels nature to make life a bit difficult and so you generally find that most of the ropes and lines will get in each others way, this will test your patience to the limit but life can be made a little easier by getting rigging tools. All I can suggest to you is that you study the rigging plan and follow that as best you can, if you have Caldercrafts Cruiser then the rigging plan will most likely have the best method of rigging.  :mellow:  :mellow:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie, I'm just catching back up on your build, your ratlines are superb.  Love your method with the alignment sticks!  That's one beautiful build you've got going there. keep it up!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

I'll take that as real compliment coming from you Wes, compared to you I am a mere Loblolly Boy.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Now Mobbsie, I haven't tied the first knot....  Don't know a clove hitch from a what-knot.  (well I do now....)  Gluing pieces of wood together is one thing, but rigging?  When I get to rigging you folks are gonna watch me shed some tears for sure....  And use sailor's language.  I just hope I can come close to the many ship builders here, you included!

Edited by cookster

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

And use sailor's language.  I just hope I can come close to the many ship builders here, you included!

Surely you don't mean to imply that Mobbsie would use such language as to peel paint from a barnacle????

:D :D :D :D

Looks good there, Mobbsie.  Very impressive!

:ph34r::piratetongueor4:

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

I have to admit gents that I have made milk curdle quite often so we have no shortage of yogurt at home, with a little practice I reckon I could strip paint which would be most beneficial right now. :D  :D

Just as a quick verbal update I am currently putting the shroud cleats on the Mizzen and Main masts, no information in either the manual or sheet plans so that called for a quick email to Jotika, the answer came the same day and was really comprehensive. :)  :)

For anybody waiting for Caldercrafts HMS Surprise to come out, it should be out later this year, Jotika have stepped up their production with new machinery and workshops, I know we've heard it all before but this time I think I believe them. ;)  ;)

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

• 3 weeks later...

For anybody waiting for Caldercrafts HMS Surprise to come out, it should be out later this year, Jotika have stepped up their production with new machinery and workshops, I know we've heard it all before but this time I think I believe them. ;)  ;)

Be Good

mobbsie

Hi Mobbsie - that is very interesting news...I'm now in a bit of a bind because that might coincide well with when I'm likely to get my Snake finished.  I had my heart set on the Aggie but the Surprise could be the new front runner!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Great news. Have you heard anything about their 74?

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society