HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Glad you've sorted out the photo problem.  Catharpins look great.  And I like the netting on the rails on the top.  Classy!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Grant / Augie,

Thanks for the good words and kind comments guys, very much appreciated.

Augie, the netting was kindly sent to me from Grant, I couldn't get the correct pattern here and he had it in bucketful's. That netting has since spread itself all over the country and the Netherlands to you know who. Grant also made up two full sets of blocks for myself and Sjors for our Aggies, that in itself provides a challenge because I have to do them justice.

Grant, the Catherpin pattern I copied from you apart from soldering the end loops and the painting so thank you for the idea.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

You embarrass me Wayne, please keep it up. :D :D

Thanks my friend.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Mobbsie,

What are you doing.....

You are doing such a great job that it is difficult for me to improve that !

Great rigging job you showing us !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Mobbsie, your rope work looks first class, very neat and tidy and lined up just the way it should be. I am very impressed!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Looking good Mate, keep it up.  Good to see your progress.  I'll be watching this as it seems to be in my near future ....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

GREAT SCOTT!    Grant is supplying blocks and netting worldwide !!!!  Have the authorities been notified......appropriate tariffs collected...... international embargoes adhered to ???  This is a great place :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'm trying to figure out how to get on the list......

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Mobbsie,

Great work. :cheers:

If you had a nautical poster behind it or took the pics with a natural background it would look like the real thing!  As it is, I wonder how you get a full size AGGY in your house?

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

some pictures................eye candy.....YUM!!!    looks really sweet Mobbsie.   you starting to make me feel bad...I don't even have my main shrouds done yet........I'm a baaaaaddddd boy!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful work, Mobbsie and you have the pictures to prove it.   :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Thank you all very much for your very kind comments and remarks and for everyone who pressed the like button, I really do appreciate it, THANKS.

B.E.  

I hadn't thought about, but I think I will, it will give me something to do whilst waiting for the stretch to come out on the portside main shrouds. As if I couldn't find something to do. ^_^  ^_^

Unfortunately it wont just be the dummy guns but all of them, I did toy with the idea of putting muzzle plugs on when I first started but for some reason forgot all about it, maybe next time. So for now it's out with the black paint and a very fine brush and try to steady a very shaky hand. ;)  ;)

A quick update while I'm on, as I posted earlier the main shrouds, futtock staves and futtock shrouds have been done so I started with the starboard side ratlines, on completion I noticed the main mast had been pulled out of alignment and was leaning to starboard, I don't know if the ratlines would have had anything to do with it so it was a case of tightening up the portside lanyards, not so easy when they have already been tied off.

Lanyards removed new ones fitted and of we go, not so fast, on tightening the lanyards the deadeyes ended up touching and so the deadeyes on the shrouds had to be removed and the shroud shortened, this has now been done and the lanyards refitted but not tied off.

It bugs me to think that I'm still making stupid mistakes when I should know better. :angry:  :angry: :angry:  :angry:  

I'll have an update with pictures when I have completed the port ratlines, that'll be in about a week I hope. I'm not as quick as "you know who". :D  :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Mobbsie, is it really bad that I take some comfort in the fact that even the best builders have 'snafu' moments too.. :) :) :P

You've got one beautiful build going on there mate.

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Eamonn

Thanks for the good words mate.

Go for it, you take as much satisfaction as you need, you can find that in bucket loads here, only to pleased to help a fellow builder. :D  :D:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Tony... she looks smashing!!.... your rigging is to be envied.... great work Tony!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Mobbsie,

Great work so far mate. A pity about having to re-do the shrouds/dead-eyes, but better to find out now rather than later on!

Looking forward to more pics. :)

My theory is this Mobssie, the result of becoming a better modeler is not that the better modeler doesn't make mistakes, but rather that the better modeler recognizes the mistakes sooner (when it easier to fix) :D

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hi Robbyn

I like your thinking, I would love to meet that better modeller that's lurking within me somewhere, at the moment it's mission impossible. :D  :D :D  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

My theory is this Mobssie, the result of becoming a better modeler is not that the better modeler doesn't make mistakes, but rather that the better modeler recognizes the mistakes sooner (when it easier to fix) :D

Now that should be hung on the wall somewhere!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Robbyn

I like your thinking, I would love to meet that better modeller that's lurking within me somewhere, at the moment it's mission impossible. :D  :D :D  

Be Good

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

I found your inner better modeller! He's been over on my log, sending me around the buoy several times! ;):) (for which, I might add, I am most grateful).

Mobbsie,

I found your inner better modeller! He's been over on my log, sending me around the buoy several times! ;):) (for which, I might add, I am most grateful).

Hi Grant,

Would you mind sending him back over here mate, I'm in need of him. I hope he did his bit and took one oar at least, cant have him slacking. :D  :D  

Just a quick verbal update, all the shrouds and deadeyes are now fixed, you could play a tune on the shrouds they are that tight and I've now started on the ratlines, 4 rows completed so far. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I will post some pics very soon, I do have some in the bank at the moment, it will be a good test to see if I've done things right, with Lawrence and Marks help I should have deleted IE11 and blocked further Microsoft updates, here's hoping. :)  :) :)  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Looking forward to the pictorial update.  I won't even make a comment about your immersion in ratline technology.

Yup, IE 11 just didn't cut it here either.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Mobbsie we all make mistakes I should know I have just spent two weeks sorting one out, the good thing is its done and we will not look back wish we had done it. Good luck with the ratlines the most tedious part of any build.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

I have a question for anyone who has done shrouds and ratlines. I understand the issue at times with the shroud lines pulling the mast out of alignment like Mobbsie spoke of, but I wonder if ratlines, too can cause issues. Would it be better to leave all the lanyards untied (by that I mean not permanently glued) until all ratlines are done on a shroud? Or would that just cause issues with pulling the deadeyes out of alignment, when giving them a final tweak and gluing in place? On mine I have always had the lanyards completely secured before running any ratlines, but it was just a thought that flew through my head that leaving the lanyards unglued until complete might be a better option.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

That's an issue you would face in a full sized ship as well. If you haul the ratlines taught between each shroud, you'll tend to pull the masts out of alignment. If you leave them slack (as they should be) you shouldn't run into any trouble like that. If the shrouds are properly tensioned, you'll find that loose ratlines should not pull it out of alignment.

I understand what you are saying Robbyn and there could be a problem after the ratlines have been completed.

If the shrouds are not fixed and the ratlines are tied you could when tightening the shrouds pull the ratlines out of alignment, so instead of getting nice neat rows of ratlines they could look like a mountain range, all up and down.

I think what Sailer1234567890 is saying is that if the ratlines are tied with the correct tension across the shroud ropes they should have a slight downward curve in them, so that they will not or at least should not pull the shrouds out of alignment.

Ratlines when tied should not pull the masts out of alignment but incorrect tension on the shroud lines will, there lies another problem because I think that temperature and humidity also have an effect on the shrouds plus of course any stretch in the ropes used.

Any stretch in the rope should be removed before tying the shrouds, this I think is where I went wrong, I got the tension wrong and did not remove the stretch on the portside, when I tied the starboard side I took the stretch out of the rope but failed to do the same on the portside and so at some stage the mast was pulled over to the starboard side and I hadn't noticed until much later.

In brief, secure the shroud ropes before you do the ratlines.

Hope that helps to answer your question and I apologize for the long winded explanation, if I have it wrong I'm sure somebody else can put me right.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie