HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Thanks Joe, I'll try mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mobbsie,

Excellent work on your lower mizzen shrouds, futtock shrouds and catharpins, I don't think the latter look to thick in your photos they seem to be about the same size as the shrouds which I think is about right, according to John Mckay's anatomy of the victory the mizzen lower shrouds were 5" in circumferance and so were the cartharpins.

Thanks for the link to Anew's log about making the mouse I will defineately use his method when I get to that stage of my build

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for looking in mate and your very kind comments. :)  :)

The Catherpins are slightly larger than the shrouds so perhaps a little thinning should be made.

With regard to the mouse your more than welcome, Arthur came up with the idea and I copied him, that's what were here for, build and learn. :)  :) :)  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Hi Mobbsie,

To answer your question, I formed eyes in either end of the catharpins and soldered them. The paint then makes this look something like an eye splice. I then lashed the eyes to the futtock staves. And yes, it does get very crowded and messy in there! ;)

That rigging looks great Mobbsie,  appreciate the really clear photos that show off your great work.  Love the mouse as well, I'll send you a PM because I'd like to shamelessly copy as well!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

All around great stuff Mobbsie.  True, you may want to spin that stay deadeye around.  But thanks for the mouse tip.  I recall the catharpins gave me fits the last time round.  Yours look good to me.......but if you want to make them thinner ---- best of luck!

Congrats on getting the mizzen angle dead on.  Always looks great when properly done.

Really coming together, mate.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for the pictures Mobbsie.....looking good and good to see you back at work.....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Great! job Tony.... the catharpins look good ,I think I'd leave well enough alone there, but change the deadeye on the mizzen, that is , if you feel like it. :P  :P 

Frank     

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

fantastic pictures :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

nice bit of progress there  ;).........and you did some of the ratlines too!   I try to keep my dead eyes dome side out......I might even have a few that snuck in there......for all I know  :)   still........it looks great........another giant step forward.   is the front catharpin,  in front of the mast or just behind it?  I want to do them on my build too....be great to know where they go  ;)   very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looks great to my eye Mobbsie, I know I have only rigged 1 1/2 ships so far, but it gave me a real appreciation of just how busy and detailed this all gets on this type of ship, and you seem to be handling it all very well!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hi Mobbsie

Very nice progress.  I feel a bit dizzy again from watching you moving with that speed. :wacko:

Just a question about the ratlines: Wouldn’t you find it easier to dye them before installing? (I usually dye a meter or yard or so of the line at a time and make then the ratlines. That way I never have a drop of the stain staining my deck.)

Cheers

Peter

Hi Guys,

Thank you one and all for the good words and comments, they really are appreciated. :)  :)

Peter,  Normally I would stain first or use black thread but on this occasion I am going to keep the Ratlines white, but thanks for the question. :)  :)

Popeye,  All the Catherpins so far are behind the masts, there are 2 on the Mizzen, 4 on the Main and Fore masts, The position of the Shrouds will dictate if any are placed in front. With regard to the deadeyes they are all domed so that bits easy, Grant was referring to the position the holes, the single hole's should be furthest from each other with the double closest, I got it wrong, but not anymore. :(  :)  :) :)  

Grant, I made the Catherpins as you suggested with wire and served the span between the eyes with 0.25 black thread, I painted the eyes, it's going to get a lot tidier, The futtock shrouds will have one turn on the stave and will then be seized to the main shrouds, so again it will clean the staves up, hopefully. :)

Not a lot of progress to date, Santa's got some rope for me so I'm waiting on his imminent arrival, in the meantime I've made the Main mast Burton Pendants and also the Catherpins and Futtock Staves, once I get the rope I can do the shrouds and fit the completed parts. ^_^

There not very exciting and I don't have any yet but if you want I will post some pics of the completed parts, just let me know. ;)

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Great stuff Mobbsie - glad to hear the a catharpins are working out for you. Your intentions re the futtock shrouds are the correct way to do it. I have a picture of this in Longridge if that's helpful at all, but I suspect that you don't need it now. Let me know if you want it anyway and I'll scan it for you.

Here's hoping Santa arrives on time!

thanks for explaining the cartherpins to me.........I'll figure it out on my end  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mobbsie, when do you get back in the shipyard Mate......

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hi John,

To answer your question mate, I am currently working the shipyard at the moment. I had to wait for some 1.3 rope so that I can continue with the shrouds on the Main Mast, that rope has dually arrived so work goes on.

I have now made all the main shrouds and placed them on the mast but I haven't fitted the lanyards yet, that will be done today, depending on how I get on I will also fit the Catherpins and futtock shrouds.

It has been slow going mate what with the holidays and Grandparent duties but I should be able to speed up a little now were almost back to normal.

I will post some pics later today.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Please bear with me guys, I'm having a few problems downloading the pictures, any one else having problems. ???????????? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

If Microsoft updated your browser to IE11, uninstall it.  Reboot and IE 10 will be back.  IE11 is causing problems.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes, that tripped me up a while back as well.  Nothing like 'progress'.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Guys,

OK I think I've got the problem sorted so this is a sort of trial test.

1st pictures are of the served ropes around the Main Mast Head

2nd are of the shrouds with loose lanyards

3rd Lanyards are tied tight

4th the Catherpins are fixed in position

This is where the fun begins. They are all coming in as thumbnails but at least they are on the screen.

Any comments, suggestions or remarks are more than welcome, I can take it.

Be Good

mobbsie

post-493-0-95769700-1388999794_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-82635500-1388999812_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-76078400-1388999836_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-05480800-1388999867_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-23700000-1388999940_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-31681700-1388999966_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-12266800-1389000003_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-84714400-1389000026_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-04709200-1389000058_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-42513900-1389000097_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-61259400-1389000123_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-85400300-1389000144_thumb.jpg

mobbsie

Just a quick comment on my previous post.

Getting the pictures on is still work in progress so please bear with me until I can get it sorted out.

Mark thanks for the info mate, not being computer literate this a voyage of discovery.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie