Rattlesnake by Dave_E - Model Shipways - 1:64

11 hours ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

Just give it time Dave. We all wind up getting sidetracked every now and again.

Jim

100% and I think we come back better for it!  I got stuck and frankly a bit fed up with my Bounty build, had a year long break from it and built a few other projects, learnt some more and now can't wait to get stuck back into the Bounty.  A change is good, looking forward to seeing you back on this Dave when you get your Mojo back! 👍

Hi All,

Thanks Andrew. I’m actually pretty busy being retired. Volunteer facilities worker at my church, in the worship band, president of my home owners association with a wife and house to take care of… and I’m a chess fanatic.

However, I am involved with the build on a slower scale. I found a chamfer scraper on Amazon for $12. Also building the cannons. Built a jig for the rigging when the time comes.

20389A1E-1C3B-4972-9D9F-740581011094.thumb.jpeg.11673e5892f67616674bc242ed2b0f35.jpeg

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Dave, you might want to do a review on that chamfer scrapper. I hear you on the busy retirement, seems there are a lot of things to do and get done once you no longer have to go to work. 😆

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

6 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Thanks Andrew. I’m actually pretty busy being retired. Volunteer facilities worker at my church, in the worship band, president of my home owners association with a wife and house to take care of… and I’m a chess fanatic.

I know the feeling, I have too many hobbies (chess, model making, miniature painting, etc…) and time for less than one due to all the other commitments. Keep at it, the jig is a good idea.

9 hours ago, Dave_E said:

president of my home owners association

Okay, now that is one retirement activity I do not envy you for!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Why do we subject ourselves to this? Two hours of listening to some righteous 70’s rock and getting red ocre all over my fingertips. 😆

B60D6E5B-70D8-4808-9024-0895BA3FB1D4.thumb.jpeg.cc4fb70635adfaa86eec6a9496018984.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

28 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

Why do we subject ourselves to this?

Dave, that's the sixty four thousand dollar question. It's kinda like, why do we always push king's pawn two on opening. 

10 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Dave, that's the sixty four thousand dollar question. It's kinda like, why do we always push king's pawn two on opening. 

“I don’t know”? 🤣

Dave

15 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Why do we subject ourselves to this?

Because it's fun, interesting, and a pleasant way to while away a few hours.

PS: I too was president of our HOA, worst job ever. Work your *** off for nothing but complaints from the same 10-15% of noisy neighbors. They asked me back to fill a departed director, NOPE.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Gunners mate… I think we’ll take these ten 6 pound cannons for our new ship Rattlesnake!

4E683329-2CFC-4FA6-9319-2A3465A0B288.thumb.jpeg.cd89c6e0a651f12e9cba4ca03afbf25a.jpeg
Back to the ship. 😄

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Hi All,

I’m going to try a bamboo board for my bending station. Last year the plywood bending station didn’t take kindly to water or heat. So, got out the tools and am trying it out. I bent the waterways for the ship. Is that progress I see? 😁  We’ve got a good month or so yet of wet weather here and me thinks the flame has been reignited.

8C1843BA-6602-479D-9BCB-E8886629107C.thumb.jpeg.984832ca7b640fe614979a9928540f8b.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Right on Dave, looking good.    :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Dave, I always like looking over a man's workbench noting his tools and seeing if I can incorporate any ides into my workbench. I see a flyswatter hanging above your workbench top left. Do you have a fly problem or is that used on swatting builds in those naughty moments when they misbehave?  :D

26 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Dave, I always like looking over a man's workbench noting his tools and seeing if I can incorporate any ides into my workbench. I see a flyswatter hanging above your workbench top left. Do you have a fly problem or is that used on swatting builds in those naughty moments when they misbehave?  :D

And the horseshoe is upside down.  All the luck is leaking out.

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

The fly swatter is from 20 years ago in a different house when my guitar building studio was a room in the garage and during summer months… yes there were flys. 😆 And I don’t know when the horse shoe showed up. 🤔😆

Dave

Disassemble time. I decided to make all the framework on assembly (that’s what we called it in the airplane manufacturing bidness). I’m putting along fairly well per the drawings and I thought “I better check the cannons”. Sure enough, they are too tall (notice the rear trucks are off the deck). So I must rip out the framing that’s done and raise it. 😑😳😄

4ADE8A1A-FA94-4965-B66E-6DAAD9896B2B.thumb.jpeg.585cbfa5935ecf9080d192dbb6a6d300.jpeg
Had to go up 2mm.

C4B89AB2-ED06-4959-B84E-CC142BC6304F.thumb.jpeg.9f0dfced9a7f3b9ea658b6118ca07cd9.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

That sounds very familiar Dave. I'm seriously thinking of starting over with a brand-new kit and just use some of the assemblies I know fit. 

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

I had a terrifying thought tonight. Even though I used the Britannia cannons that came with the MS kit, I am using Syren’s  cannon cradles which I’m pretty sure are 1:48. How bad have I goofed?

42A1EA0E-1D97-4526-B8B5-329A26187BCB.thumb.jpeg.5cd4d3a80f7bf045cf4999229b1366bd.jpeg

B78D42F4-EF3B-4A85-8791-BA6999780561.thumb.jpeg.034c22b51820984fb5ed688f88cf1156.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

I believe the MS cradles are a bit small, but I think the Syren 1:48's might look a bit big.   I will  PM  you later about a solution I have in mind..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 2/27/2023 at 7:46 PM, Dave_E said:

Two hours of listening to some righteous 70’s rock

I have apologized to my children on multiple occasions for our generation using up all the good music.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Hi Dave,

That is one heck of a dilemma.

I bought the same carriages, so I thought I'd double check. They are indeed slightly larger than the kit carriages. The size difference is very small, not a difference between 1:64 and 1:48. The trucks are quite a bit larger, adding maybe 1mm to the height. In total, I think it could add 2mm.

I honestly don't think raising the gun ports 2mm will look right. On my build, the gun ports would butt up against the cap rail.

I'm going to build a cannon as my next project and see if I have the same issue. Hopefully, we can figure out how to solve this. I'd hate to have to build the cannons that came with the kit.

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

Dave, can you lower the cannon by deepening the trunnion groove? 

Good Morning Boys,

After I slept on my dilemma, I got up this morning and looked at every build log I could find for the Rattlesnake (I think I have them all bookmarked 😳😄) and found a wide verity of builds regarding the gun port installations. Some go clear to the top of the bulkheads, others slightly lower and some lower yet. All the finished ships look so alike and unless you were eyeballing this particular thing, you wouldn’t know the difference. The drawings… as I think they all are… are wooden ship building hobby drawings… not CAD and such with tolerances like .09 - .1 inch that I’ve been using all my life in the aviation industry. John, you hit it on the nail. By my very best attempt to get the actual model to match the drawing I was 2mm lower than what I am now. I will still be able to get (1) 1/32 X 3/32 plank between the top of the gun port and the cap rail. Half of the completed ships I look at… that’s what they ended up with. 

So, all that math aside, it just looks like the carriages might be a tad large. When the model is complete (rigging included) if someone says, “Dave your cannon carriages are out of scale” they get a prize. 😆 John, your completed gun port installation is about a mm below mine. Your cannons will be very high in the gun port. But as Keith mentioned, modify the cannon carriage so the cannon sits lower in it. My cannons are all built, yours are not, go for it. There’s just no getting around the realism and end product of the Syren carriage! Unfortunately the cannon carriages that came with the kit are… atrociously not realistic and look like toys.

B22D1491-4963-4DDD-B9A9-A0D8F467FB49.thumb.jpeg.b69ac3efbbe0801f9e4f4a1239846a23.jpeg33E2AE1D-0027-44A7-808D-ED84165249A0.thumb.jpeg.ea2802aa4a199f40e96d7340ade38986.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm glad you were able to reframe the gunports to solve this issue!

When I framed the gunports, I used the drawing of the 6-pounder cannon on the kit plans to set the height. It measures 10mm to the center of the barrel. I have not built the Syren carriage yet, but I printed Chuck's plans out and measured the height to the center of the barrel. It comes to 11mm. A difference of 1mm is not too bad. Deepening the grooves like @Keith Black suggested might make it work.

On a side note, I wish we Americans would move to the metric system!

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

Sounds like a plan John! I concur on the metrics. The Lady Nelson was all metric, Model Shipways is not. For any layout work or measurements off the drawings, I use the mm scale! 👍👏😀

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Just got back from a couple of weeks vacation and am catching up on your build log.  I also purchased the 6 pounder cannons and the recommended carriages from Syren.  They are bit taller then the Model Shipways, but not off by an large scale.  I was able to adjust the height of the frames to compensate for the difference.  I agree, the difference in the quality of the cannons is worth the extra effort to make them work.  I only built one cannon for test fitting the frames, so far.  I intend to deepen the grove the extensions on the sides of the cannons sit into on the carriages to help make them fit better too.  I don't know if it's too late for you to try that.

Good to see you are back in the shipyard!

Ed

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

Current build: Model Shipways "Rattlesnake"

Completed build: Model Shipways "Bluenose I"

Hi Ed,

I sort of went the other way. I built the cannons and then decided to raise the gun ports 1 - 1.5 mm. Looking forward to some photos on you log brother! 👍😀

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, 

Couple of serious rainy days here in the PNW, so I visited the shipyard. Completed the gun ports (all except the one way up at the bow 🫤) with a cannon fit. Now on to the Timber and Knightheads.IMG_0247.thumb.jpeg.66412b6a8aa71f7e4d7e21682bef3721.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Sounds like a good solution. Just won’t make that big a difference in the grand scheme. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose