Rattlesnake by Dave_E - Model Shipways - 1:64

59 minutes ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

Be sure and lay the frame on the plans . You will need to make a small shim for the center connection. After that reenforce it

image.png.d664b5ab634a136c5f2df05537974f76.png

Here is the best shot I could find of that problem.  From a log by Brian Parsons last updated in 2014.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Another caveat to remember.. Yes, Model Expo will replace parts, but it will not be an improved part.  It will be the same part you are having an issue with.

If it's a bad casting, it may be a better part

If it's something like strip or sheet wood , they will send you extra stuff..

― Jimmy Buffett

Ok Lad, let’s get this thing going, I want my ship built!

196618D8-D348-4795-AEED-92AE3303177A.thumb.jpeg.edf71371815751e7c1745b9bb896f1d8.jpeg

Man these things are tiny. I seriously doubt my painting abilities. 😳

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

I don't know how I missed the start of your build Dave, but I'm following now. Your anchors look great! I'll be doing the same thing. I doubt I will be using any of the cast parts except the anchors. The biggest issues at this stage are what Gregory and Oldsalt1950 mentioned about getting the framing correct and installing that shim.

Take to heart what @Gregory said about Model Expo - they will replace parts (my kit was missing a few critical pieces) but when I see photos of the castings in other build logs, they all look pretty much the same, with the same mold errors.

Are those figures the new NRG figurines? I've been thinking about getting a few and practice painting skills.

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

Hi John,

Glad your on board! Yes the figures are NRG. They are perfect…except the 3D machine that made them forgot to do the paint process. 😆 I concur with everyone, the cast parts in this kit are absolute doo-doo. The blocks are all identical to the Amati LN I just finished and are adequate, but after seeing what you can get… There’s also that bag full of cast cleats. I tried some wooded cleats on the Lady and you have to shape them a bit or they look boxy (in my opinion). I think we will get good scratch building experience to replace all the cast parts! The only one I see as iffy is that big cast part for the stern… I’ll never be able to do the carving thing. 😑

Dave

19 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

I’ll never be able to do the carving thing.

Never say never, Dave. You're young enough to learn to carve and I'm betting you'd be pretty good at it. 

I ordered cleats and blocks from Syren. The stern decoration can be made passable, but it takes some work. Sand it thinner, spread it a bit to match the curvature of the transom and it will suffice. Those brittania pieces are for the most part useless.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

10 minutes ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

I ordered cleats and blocks from Syren.

It's hard to beat Syren, but the selection can be limited.

I really like the hooks, eyebolts, cleats and blocks from another of our sponsors, CraftySailor.  Their service has been fast and shipping rates very reasonable.

They have a nice 1:64 binnacle and a capstan as well.  They also have the Vanguard 1:64 ship's boats..

― Jimmy Buffett

I cannot believe how poorly these laser cut parts go together! None of the slots in the aft center keel are wide enough to accommodate any of the bulkheads. The forward half of the center keel only 3 fit. Did you guys have to open up the slots? Gees, the Amati kit fit better than this does. 😑 The forward center keel doesn’t come close to matching the drawing for all the cutouts. I can hear a small voice saying the “the drawings are more like guidelines”. Say that with a pirate voice. 🤣

Dave

Good morning everyone. After my dismay about the laser cut parts and the way they did not fit well settled down, I went to work. I’m learning that there are “kits” and then there are “kits”. One has parts that fit together pretty good and you just put it together with relative ease. The other, you must “work” the parts so they will fit together. I got everything cut out, sanded and then did the shim thing that my fellow Rattlesnake builders found before me. Looking good. I feel kind of silly that I bashed the Amati Lady Nelson kit. Compared to this one so far, the Lady was a breeze at this stage. 😊

image.thumb.jpg.e9e0da10f1d4ce6131e4fbd01000fc4a.jpg

I used some scrap wood from the lady. This is what I had left over from the build.

4B5D9ED9-5467-45FE-B0AF-B880A5173AAF.thumb.jpeg.fc4390f886532d291b6c611e73f225e4.jpeg

Dave

Take your time with the bulkheads and start in the center and work out. The key alignment spot is the top of the frame . Be sure and mark the deck line and waterline. Also make sure the rabbet is deep enough. You can get real close if you can find a piece of scrap that when laid against the frame leaves 1/32 exposed. Use a pencil to mark along the frame, then flip the frame over and do it again. You now have the sanding line established.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Just stumbled across this, happy to follow along. Great job on those anchors, bodes well for future upgrades and your expressed interest in doing more scratch-building. 

Hi All,

After all the bulkheads were cut out and laid against the drawing, bulkhead “I” was really off and I’m going to have to whittle on that one. The keel is done and now it’s time to get the rabbet laid out.

image.thumb.jpg.719d8102b5f6e78e5906c3616bdc5dc2.jpg

Dave

On 7/15/2022 at 4:12 PM, Dave_E said:

I used some scrap wood from the lady. This is what I had left over from the build.

4B5D9ED9-5467-45FE-B0AF-B880A5173AAF.thumb.jpeg.fc4390f886532d291b6c611e73f225e4.jpeg

Hey, I have one of those!  I think many of us have a “scrap box” it is amazing the number of times you end up rummaging around in it for something to do a little job.

I really struggle to throw things out, my Dad who I inherited the trait from always says “you never know when it might come in!”  But he restores old motorbikes not model boats. 
Good progress so far Dave. 👍

Edited by AJohnson

I'd recommend putting in the recommended pins to help stiffen the keel if you haven't done so already. The rabbet gets pretty thin and it is easy to break the keel off. I used some stiff wire and CA glue. Even with the pins, you have to be careful.

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

1 hour ago, javajohn said:

I'd recommend putting in the recommended pins to help stiffen the keel if you haven't done so already. The rabbet gets pretty thin and it is easy to break the keel off. I used some stiff wire and CA glue. Even with the pins, you have to be careful.

Hi John,

I did put the pins in. There is one technique I’m not shy doing. Pin drill, 24g wire “nails” and some glue. 👍😀 Really worked nice on the anchor stocks. Thanks for keeping an eye on me! 😁

Dave

Just catching up and following along, Dave.  What you did for the anchors says you'll be fine bashing this kit into shape.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi All,

Moving along nicely. I had 2 bulkheads glued on when I noticed I did not have the rabbet cut, so I experienced my first lesson on releasing wood glue. Took them off, cut the rabbets and then got the bulkheads on. 😑

image.thumb.jpg.601ddff41f3d00c326d5f4b28d8760fc.jpg

Dave

I really like the cradle!😁

( Seriously, it's a good idea that didn't occur to me before...}

― Jimmy Buffett

Hi Nearshore,

That’s the way it works here. Most of what you see me do, I learned from someone here on the MSW forum (my cradle is an example). 😀 Ask questions! Glad to have you aboard. What’s your name?

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

A squared up frame is a great start, ready set plank😊

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi Glenn,

I’m surprised on this build to see how much building there is to do before actual planking begins. I’m fortunate to have 3 members building the same ship, and all are relatively close in their building stages, sort of like the MSW group builds. 👍😀

Dave

Dave, your attitude starting work on Rattlesnake is totally different than when you started Lady Nelson. It's been neat to watch as you've gained skills and confidence. 

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

I really like the cradle!😁

( Seriously, it's a good idea that didn't occur to me before...}

Same here. I installed one immediately on my Mediator.

Thanks Dave. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I think I can call the skeleton complete. I have to agree with the other comments about the bulkheads being flimsy (bass wood), so I did what others have done and stiffened them up making sure the keel was straight. I’m also glad I did not precut or shape any of the bulkheads for planking. You can really tell the difference just handling it. 

B5A9861C-7BB6-417B-B6B4-ECEF00D1F105.thumb.jpeg.98dd72bee33b5fa6c0069d880b8d5eb0.jpeg

Dave