Lackawanna by Jeff Preisler - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1/8=1 inch - Steam Coastal Tug

1. DSC00263.thumb.JPG.67b40f3063da0d34b1287375d3627644.JPG                                 Initial shaping of the hull complete, after final sanding I airbrushed the inside of the bulwarks Buff.  Ater completion of hull I made a template of deck out of matte board then transfered to 1/16" glued decking sheet, lastly after gluing in the deck I added the waterway stanchions that were previosly primed and airbrushed with buff.

DSC00249.JPG

DSC00250.JPG

DSC00251.JPG

DSC00262.JPG

DSC00263.JPG

•  

1. After final sanding, and drilling out for port holes I gave it a coat of automotive primer.
  2. Cut to fit cap rails, sheer and rub strakes, then sanded and airbrushed flat black.
  3. When primer was dry I had to establish the waterline using this homemade tool from Frank Mastini's plans illustrated in his book "Ship modeling simplified"
  4. Airbrushed lower hull with anti'fouling red then masked waterline with scoth magic tape then air brushed white above waterline.
  5. Finally installed cap rails, sheer and rub strakes, brass port holes and lastly bow and stern name boards.

DSC00265.JPG

DSC00266.JPG

DSC00267.JPG

DSC00273.JPG

DSC00275.JPG

Edited by Jeff preisler
spelling

•  

• 2 weeks later...

Completed smokestacks, main cabin sky lights, main cabin deck and pilot house decks.  Smoke stacks wer primed with automotive primer then airbrushed flat black, because I was in a bit of a hurry I used tamiya acrlic red paint for the smokestack badges then scraped off raised detail with x'acto knife. painted fire buckets red as well.  Per instructions, it says to paint cabin doors white but I wanted them to stand out, so I painted them with a woodish color,(I did see some models done this way).  When constructing the sky lights, I found some old photo negatives that I used for the glass panes, this turned out pretty good so I will try this when I construct the pilot house instead of using black paint, see how it goes.

DSC00276.JPG

DSC00278.JPG

DSC00281.JPG

•  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  For the Pilot house construction, I used old photo negatives for the windows.  After drilling holes and installing pilot house stanchions I decided to use thread to simulate the railings which I then painted with a brass enamel color.  Masts were tapered, holes drilled and stained per kit instructions and set in place temporarily.  After attaching pilot house to main cabin, I then mounted ship using brass pedestals on its permanent base.  Overall, this kit is excellent and a pleasure to build, I am hoping to have this completed within the next week or so.  

DSC00302.JPG

DSC00300.JPG

•  

2 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Very nice!!

I particularly like the color of the bottom painting.  It nicely reproduces red lead bottom painting used on many vessels.  What is it?

Roger

The paint I used is (USN Norfolk 65-A anti-foul Red) from True North Precision Enamels

•  

Getting a little closer to completion.  Had some trouble making the pilot house door and landing railing.  After a couple of tries with CA glue I did not like the results, so I decided to re-fabricate the rails using solder at the joints, not perfect but I think they came out OK.  Installed the search light, mast lights, smokestacks, ventilators, and deck sky lights.  After placing all the eyebolts, I am now ready for the rigging.  

DSC00306.JPG

DSC00307.JPG

DSC00310.JPG

DSC00312.JPG

Edited by Jeff preisler

•  

• 2 weeks later...

The main deck railing and all the rigging went smoothly, just those darn tiny blocks are annoying, but it all worked out.  I decided to follow the optional kit instructions for lifeboat covers.  To do this, I just used copier paper and cut the pattern with my x-acto knife; I then used fine thread for the cover ropes which were cut to size and glued under the cover flaps.  After covers were dry, I carefully brushed the covers with Tamiya buff.  I thought it would be interesting to add a tow rope at the stern using just some household string that I dipped in a brown wash.  Attached Flags, bow and side fenders, life rings, and lastly did some final touch up and I'm calling this complete.

DSC00329.JPG

DSC00330.JPG

DSC00331.JPG

DSC00332.JPG

DSC00333.JPG

DSC00334.JPG

DSC00323.JPG

DSC00324.JPG

•  

Beautiful model.  Congratulations on finishing your Lackawanna tug.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Nice job! She’s beautiful. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket)