The Shipyard at Foss' Landing (Diorama) by gjdale (Grant) - FINISHED - SierraWest - Scale 1:87 (HO)

So takes me back  to  building my MDF   farmhouse  and  Barns/Stables   in my  Waterloo  dio,   loverly work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Grant, I plan to try these out. And Jack thanks, I've used some Hunterline stains and like them. They're about as good as the old Floquil stains. I miss their Driftwood stain, but there are suitable substitutes available.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hello Grant.  Just found your log and it looks like a terrific project.  SierraWest has a great reputation for high-end kits though I have never built one or even seen one in person, so I'm very interested in following your progress.  You are certainly off to a great start and I'm certain this will be fabulous build.

21 hours ago, gjdale said:

Ken - give this method a try before you go down the commercial supplies route. You’ll be surprised at just how easy this method is (and quick).

I agree with you on the chalk/alcohol method for coloring and weathering wood.  The process is easy to control and variations of all sorts (be it subtle or aggressive) are simple to add and blend.  There are a number of commercial products out there that are very good at staining wood, but I haven't seen any that work better.  I know many modelers who swear by a product called Silverwood that was manufactured by Builders in Scale.  They sold the business years ago to a company called CC Crow and I understand availability can now be spotty.  Never tried the stuff.  Pigments and alcohol are also a great porous surface colorant albeit a bit heavy-handed - great when you want deeper richer tones.

Loved your steam pumper project and I'm looking forward to this one.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments and likes folks. It seems to be a while since I updated this log - the usual excuse of "life" getting in the way. Anyway, I've been progressing slowly and finally have something worth posting.

Wall Construction – Adding the Siding

With the board detailing complete, it was time to add the siding to the walls. This commences with laying one complete board on the Right wall. This is butted against the slight overhang created by the upper floor, ensuring that the board is straight and even.

426758107_045WallSiding1.jpeg.5014fa9f94f4ebfa8d5808e214256434.jpeg

Boards were then selected randomly and glued in place using the horizontal scribed lines as an aid to ensure they were straight. All boards were left long and slightly covering the window openings, to be trimmed up later.

299269560_046WallSiding2.jpeg.26bfc6a98e38392cfaa3b4385e08cacc.jpeg

The same process was followed with the remaining walls, this time also using the vertical scribed lines as a guide to placement of butt joints.

944282491_047WallSiding3.jpeg.ef53ed9e7ac66edf0c8f535bfe2abbe2.jpeg

1825809062_048WallSiding4.jpeg.d0bb3c5016f533f7b5c849d60d5a6b23.jpeg

Here are the three walls with horizontal siding attached. Once I’d finished these, I noticed that on the Left wall (top left in the picture below), I could see the untreated card around the gaps in the butt joints. I decided to go back in and add some alcohol and chalk to darken these up, but this then left a noticeable dark patch around the joints.

608075646_049WallSiding5.jpeg.bc7bd8e7f0191553b8bd4b5cfa6159de.jpeg

To remedy this, I went over that section of the wall very lightly with a wire brush again, applied a very light wash of alcohol/ink mixture and dabbed a variety of chalk powder randomly over that section.

The vertical boards were then added to the second floor in a similar fashion, being careful to align the bottom edges just slightly overhanging the first-floor horizontal boards. I worked in from each side, covering over window openings as I went and then trimming them out once the glue had cured overnight. Here is that same wall after the “repair” treatment and addition of the second-floor siding. The unplanked area is where the dormers will go later on.

683724864_050WallSiding6.jpeg.ca9ff56d0e643c60fed3fe59351e37cb.jpeg

And the remaining walls.

495195153_051WallSiding7.jpeg.3c6b8920a754ea4c85d5661c310d6844.jpeg

1054178120_052WallSiding8.jpeg.7493628e04953e4ce3e5b50d4228d1e7.jpeg

611201167_053WallSiding9.jpeg.ec2df78739d1cac3b671c3911ecbd2ed.jpeg

And a “group” shot of the completed walls.

616817186_054WallSiding10.jpeg.c9e0e792da2dac3a85481c53cfa8be84.jpeg

Next up will be to complete the Dormers in a similar fashion and then assemble the laser cut doors and windows.

1 minute ago, Glen McGuire said:

This is really fascinating work, Grant!

It really is isn't it, Glen. But I'm thinking, Grant is gonna have a hell of a time finding a bottle big enough. 

Great work Grant, how will you be going about  strenthing the joins when you but the walls  together?   I used  wood strips  in mine  on the inside edge where Two  walls  meet.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks Glen, Keith and OC. 

OC - the answer is, I'll tell you when I get there..... Joining the walls together starts on pg 30 of the manual - I'm currently at pg 13. There is a lot of work yet to do before then. Reading ahead, there are braces added, but I may end up adding additional bracing. Will have to wait and see how sturdy it looks/feels at the time.

Keith - it will be a very large bottle of single malt Scotch. Not for placing the model inside of - purely to help the builder along the way!

2 minutes ago, gjdale said:

Thanks Glen, Keith and OC. 

OC - the answer is, I'll tell you when I get there..... Joining the walls together starts on pg 30 of the manual - I'm currently at pg 13. There is a lot of work yet to do before then. Reading ahead, there are braces added, but I may end up adding additional bracing. Will have to wait and see how sturdy it looks/feels at the time.

Keith - it will be a very large bottle of single malt Scotch. Not for placing the model inside of - purely to help the builder along the way!

Sounds like a plan  (The whisky anyway)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

That plan works for me, too. 😉

And the butt joints aren't bad. I've seen well weathered barns looking like that. 😄

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

OK, I have to stop browsing this particular forum. I want this.

This is exactly how I ended up with a 1 year Agora partworks Cobra Model.

Drat.

3 hours ago, Brucealanevans said:

OK, I have to stop browsing this particular forum. I want this.

This is exactly how I ended up with a 1 year Agora partworks Cobra Model.

Drat.

I think we've all been there, Bruce.  Everyone seems to have a stash.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wall Construction – A Minor Repair

So I had some feedback overnight from the sharp eyes on the Sierra West forum that a mark on one of my walls could be “repaired” by removing and replacing that plank. I’ve circled the offending area in the photo below. 

162275272_054aWallSiding.jpeg.829d031bcbe4fc98bafbdc7b6551ed58.jpeg

The mark is a natural variation in the timber but wouldn’t disappear with any amount of chalk/alcohol/ink mixture. It was bugging me, so I’m glad someone else saw fit to make a constructive comment.

I was a little concerned about potentially doing more harm than good in a repair by replacement approach, so I sought some extra guidance from the experts over there. They very helpfully came back with a detailed explanation of the recommended procedure, along with pictures to illustrate. The method is essentially the same as removing a plank from the hull/deck of a ship model – apply isopropyl alcohol to de-bond and gradually lift and separate. I had been concerned that applying extra IPA might damage the existing board finish on the rest of the wall, and/or the underlying card substrate. I needn’t have worried!

I started at one end by applying IPA with an old paintbrush and slipping the point of a #11 blade under the plank. 

241947355_055Repairs1.jpeg.42703d442ddbc07f05b870416deec645.jpeg

Once I had the tip inserted, it was easier to get more IPA into the joint. I also scored the plank where it met the side of the doorway. Here we are about half way through:

849406966_056Repairs2.jpeg.49fd8b56f472d63941b8e67db50007e7.jpeg

And with the offending plank finally removed:

1515548686_057Repairs3.jpeg.d81983f75c12734d79781a02eff22897.jpeg

And after a little extra clean-up with a riffler file and the trusty #11 blade:

1590737073_058Repairs4.jpeg.449159e9e28cedcb78e3848c2f5a6a76.jpeg

And with the new plank installed and trimmed to fit.

719753598_059Repairs5.jpeg.2a4ca0f1f8982c798c7709a5350b4b63.jpeg

Much better! I’m glad that this has happened at this point as it now gives me confidence for any other (perhaps inevitable?) re-work further down the track.

Wall Construction – Dormers

Construction of the Dormers follows essentially the same process as the walls, with the exception that there is a small amount of flashing to be added. The kit design is rather clever in how this is achieved. The flashing pieces are laser cut along with the dormer side walls and left in place connected by two very small tabs. The process is to remove the flashing pieces, plank and trim the remainder of the side wall, paint the flashing, and then reinstall it into the side wall and voila!

Here is a picture of the side walls having been planked and trimmed, and the flashing pieces ready for re-insertion. Since flashing was usually lead strips back in the day, as the exposed lead aged it dulled and darkened. To achieve this effect, painting the flashing pieces comprises three steps. Firstly, a base coat of Floquil Grimy Black is called for. My substitute of choice here is AK Basalt Grey. Once this is dry, the piece is dry brushed with Polly Oily Black. My substitute of choice here was Vallejo Glossy Black. I’ve never dry brushed anything before but have watched several videos of it being done, so I just jumped in and had a go. The final step was to give the piece a light dusting with grey chalk powder. It’s very hard to see in the photo, but I believe I’ve managed a reasonable facsimile.

695215607_060DormerFlashing1.jpeg.0e2b7929884d228eafee49322fb3ca53.jpeg

The pieces are then glued back in place, flush with the back side of their respective walls.

613765866_061DormerFlashing2.jpeg.627f32e47eacb9182c29d36ea01e93e0.jpeg

And finally, here is a shot of all the Dormer pieces ready for the next step, which will be the laser cut doors and windows.

1938823973_062DormerGroup.jpeg.1463c476c6bbb6c3f1077bc05257a2f8.jpeg

Nicely done, both the board replacement and the flashing. 👍

Ken

Thanks Keith and Ken. Moving on...

Wall Construction – Doors

There are some really clever design features in this kit, which makes both construction and visual effects relatively easy. The material used for the door and window frames is a special resin impregnated paperboard that will not warp, is very flexible and accepts paint and chalk nicely. It also has an adhesive backing that is pressure sensitive so that it may be moved slightly after placement, before pressing down to make a permanent bond.

Here is the laser cut sheet containing all of the door and window frames.

385940270_063Doors1.jpeg.4afd28c3060802f9be0368b48d8f83ee.jpeg

Each of the four freight doors is comprised of seven component pieces (not including the six hinges and two handles that will be added to each door later).

1996651611_064Doors2.jpeg.29e184c14c4cfaa4ee71dcf1879d713c.jpeg

To go with the dull and naturally weathered siding, we want to achieve a peeling paint effect on the door and window frames. To achieve this, a base colour is first applied to all of the pieces, in the same way as was done for the walls.

Here is that process in progress:

307415116_065Doors3.jpeg.3aa42aaf5eb76c3688547aecf4ca14f1.jpeg

The base pieces (the lower, solid pieces in the bottom of the photo above) are then given a second coat of chalk/alcohol, this time adding some colour variations to bring them close to the final colours in the walls.

1393435865_066Doors4.jpeg.703bc5448925dfd773fd7f60c2f22c99.jpeg

White paint (I’m using AK 11001 White as my substitute for Poly Reefer White) is then applied to the frame and trim pieces using a very stiff bristled brush to very lightly blot the paint onto them. I found the best approach was very similar to a dry brushing technique – dip the end of the brush into the paint and then dab most of it off on a piece of paper towel before very lightly blotting onto the pieces. This ensures that not too much paint is applied, which would spoil the mottled effect replicating the peeling paint.

1481581873_067Doors5.jpeg.7298fad9616fe294b4a196c92ef83e35.jpeg

Here is a close-up of one set of frame and trim pieces:

1072727944_068Doors6.jpeg.341cc4e82e815c22d685ef5126e84bc4.jpeg

To gauge the overall effect, all of one of the door pieces were placed temporarily (ie loose) into a wall opening.

1170948363_069Doors7.jpeg.ff6d9cd0cf5342508e2d26c95d56ef73.jpeg

I’m happy with that as an overall effect, so will now proceed with permanently attaching the frame and trim pieces to the doors.

Interesting effects on the trim pieces. I'll try it on a mill building I've been contemplating.

Ken

There’s another technique some model railroaders use you can try to replicate pealing paint. After applying your base staining, brush on some rubber cement to selected areas. After the cement has set, apply your top colour, and when that dries, simply rub off the rubber cement. 

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks for that additional tip Andy. I'm sure there are many ways to skin this particular cat. One of the reasons I like the method I've been following, is that so far, everything has been both relatively easy and relatively quick.

So, I had just posted the pics from my last post on the Sierra West forum and one of the “gurus” there gave me a great tip to tone down the white paint a little – it does look a little stark as is, despite the peeling effect.

His tip was to use a soft brush and very lightly dust some DRY chalk powder onto the white to dull it down and age it a little. Nothing ventured, nothing gained right?

Here is a “before” (on the right) and “after” (on the left) following that advice.

737624355_070Doors8.jpeg.55d33637950b2230d0726af4e67c749d.jpeg

I think I like that even more! Here are all four doors, with trim permanently attached and blended down.

2022742018_071Doors9.jpeg.db4cd54aae3b71b05b77dd8db6d41339.jpeg

And finally, following the earlier advice, here is one of the doors placed temporarily in situ.

410520339_072Doors10.jpeg.e8f29beece61ae30eb7e6f9d3def87c2.jpeg

Okay, now I’m ready to tackle the windows….

Looking good.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Good tip with the chalk dust on the white. 👍

I made up a plastic jig to assemble wood windows. It's just two strips glued at 90 degrees and thick enough the layer all the parts. Works well with PVA glue. CA isn't a player, but I normally don't use it with wood kits.

Ken

Thanks OC and Ken, and also to all of the "likes".

Wall Construction – Main windows

The main windows are constructed in a very similar way to the freight doors – they are just a whole lot smaller….

The windows are comprised of a base, trim, and frame plus two separate lower sashes per window and one very small “pop out” window that goes in the top of the window. Here are the pieces for the three main windows, after receiving the same treatment as applied to the door pieces earlier. The blue object in the top of the photo is the handle of my scalpel, which might serve to show just how tiny some of these pieces are!

920498557_073Windows1.jpeg.217577bbeceac822195752f79af288e1.jpeg

We are next instructed to “locate the sheet of laser cut mylar”. A brief moment of panic while I rummaged through the box without finding said sheet. Then I remembered that I had in fact seen it before, and sure enough there it was, hiding in plain sight within Bag #5 among other “miscellaneous” items. Heart attack over, we are instructed to spray a light, even coating of Testors Dull Coat over the window pieces. I didn't have Testors Dull Coat to hand, but I did have some permanent matt spray finish for artists. As it claims to be suitable for all papers and boards, artwork, transfer lettering etc, I figured it must be pretty much the same stuff. And indeed it seems to have done the job just nicely. After allowing it to dry for a few minutes, it was again given a light dusting of chalk powder to give the windows a "dull and muddy look, but not so much that it looks painted". To quote again from the manual, "you are looking to represent years of dirt and grime build-up". So here is the sheet after that treatment. (Three of the lower sashes had already been removed before I remembered to take a photo).

1938077083_074Windows2.jpeg.89d632444a6aa233d70a61d2044b71fb.jpeg

The lower sashes then have their mylar "glass" installed by peeling off the backing on the sash and carefully applying the mylar. Here is a close-up of one sash after receiving it's glass.

1932369932_075Windows3.jpeg.932e6f22ce48043ef0bac3cd1755a4f1.jpeg

The remainder of the mylar "glass" was then installed and the sashes and "pop-out" windows installed. Following the instructions, I've placed the lower sashes in a varying degree of open positions. At this stage I haven't added any cracks or holes in the windows - as the instructions note, this is a working structure, so I'm inclined not to add these.

668179351_076Windows4.jpeg.9be9d5e34c9c27281a216704b3efba50.jpeg

Next, we return to the Dormers to add some more detail….

Your work is excellent, Grant. 👍

Those sashes are the hardest part of any build with windows. I'd work about 20 min on them, then go do anything else to rest my aching eyeballs.

Ken

grant,

This is such a cool project. You have a talent for finding interesting and unusual projects. The knots are a nice subtle addition as is the wire brush graining. I have done this look on full size projects with a torch and brush or even sand blasting. Its cool to see how to do it at a smaller scale.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Thanks very much Ken and Sam, and also to all of the "likes".

Wall Construction – Dormer Details

The next step in the instructions invites us to add some nail holes to the Left Dormer wall. Now, nail holes in the model railroad world are a bit like treenails in the model ship world – a big can of worms with arguments about what is realistic and visible at certain scales. Just as we would argue that treenails on a ship’s hull would be largely invisible at 1:87 scale, so too in the model railroad world are the varying schools of thought about adding nail holes in walls. Some advocate for the maximum detail, others say “not at 1:87 (HO) scale”. To further confuse the issue, the instructions say to add them with the point of a compass, while the kit designer himself says he doesn’t generally add them in HO scale, but provided the option in this kit for a bit of variety.

So after prevaricating for several days, I built a “test wall” from some scraps and tried out two different methods. In the picture below, I have used a sharpened mechanical pencil to make the nail holes/heads on the left, and a needle point instrument to make the nail holes on the right.

1129237834_077NailTesting.jpeg.e83b0360593756e4f40daee5a90cb52f.jpeg

I was initially drawn to the more obvious variation on the left, but after putting it out for some opinions on the Sierra West Forum, one of the “gurus” suggested that if done on the entire wall, that version would become overpowering. I decided to heed that advice and went with the “less is more” solution.

My “nail gun” for inserting these was a home-made scribing tool -  a piece of turned brass with a large sewing needle epoxied into the end. The weight of the brass gives this quite a bit of heft and makes the job a lot easier. Shown here next to a mechanical pencil for scale.

1849283507_078NailGun.jpeg.4f178c46060187c36eff95ed8bd83a59.jpeg

I went ahead and added nail holes to all of the walls. Here is few shots showing the completed nail holes. 

832659676_079Nails1.jpeg.9a0752a033972722045a97f0e516f93f.jpeg

769923088_080Nails2.jpeg.927a0546d5ed2b8bf5e0a0ac57c1bca8.jpeg

1503641354_081Nails3.jpeg.dea7e2c9bc7673c2c71e54b85d1a69fa.jpeg

The nail holes are there if you look for them, but they aren’t immediately obvious. I believe this is as it should be and is what the “gurus” were trying to get across to me – the art of subtlety.

Moving on now with a little more confidence, albeit still at a glacial pace! Corner trim was added to either end of the Left Dormer Wall. The windows for this wall were then prepared in the same fashion as the main windows, including the final stage of dusting with dry chalk powder to tone down the white paint.

1612690546_082LeftDormerWindows1.jpeg.19280f98fc669e8e675700165d5a6331.jpeg

We are then instructed to make some window blinds by painting some plain paper with Floquil Depot Buff and then dirtying it up with some chalk powder. My substitute paint choice was AK 11033 (Dark Sand) and again I used Rembrandt 408.3 chalk powder for the “dirtying”, applied in the same way as the final stage of the window frames (ie a dry dusting).

745028873_083LeftDormerWindows2.jpeg.6a0d6aefc585b7b9aad770e9877625f0.jpeg

The strip was then cut to length for individual window shades of varying length and glued in place on the inside at the tops of the windows.

1404015922_084LeftDormerWindows3.jpeg.fb61acd3dc6bcecf08fc4e764b689b46.jpeg

The outer window frame was then added, with separate headers and ledges added as the final touch to give a greater 3-D effect. 

407439035_085LeftDormerWindows4.jpeg.e2b44bea0484f75f076a0108fb398e6e.jpeg

That completes the windows for this wall. The door for this Dormer will be next – quite a challenge with some tiny hinges and a door knob to add as well….

Good choice on the nail heads/holes, less is definitely more here, standoff distance just a slight hint of them, closeup, you see the pattern... Excellent work....

I think you nailed the aged coloration of the old paper window shades, that's a touch many do not add...

An artist at his craft is always a great pleasure to watch...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks Glen, Sam and Egilman, and again to all of the likes.

Moving right along...

Wall Construction – Dormer Details (cont’d)

This Dormer has a door that will open onto a landing atop a set of stairs. We begin by giving the door pieces all the same “peeling paint” treatment as the windows.

804502018_086DormerDoor1.jpeg.6b71d7e5cc16897ca46a0e566a238f8d.jpeg

The hinges, door knob plate and door knob all get a coat of paint (AK11110, Leather Brown in lieu of Floquil Roof Brown). We are then instructed to “dust a little rust chalk powder on them”. The instructions don’t mention the exact colour for the rust, but earlier in my Sierra West log, a couple of the “gurus” had mentioned that Rembrandt 411.3 was their “go to” rust colour, so I went with that.

Here they are with the points of my tweezers for scale reference. These things are tiny!

133304450_087DormerDoor2.jpeg.a32e9d4d4f4cbe7799a3287cb2071cf8.jpeg

And here they are attached to the door, with the mylar window glass also in place.

1296106012_088DormerDoor3.jpeg.264c61fd9da0388ee4c76f4c8232f1b8.jpeg

The door is then glued to the wall and the outer frame attached. I followed a suggestion in the instructions and left the door slightly ajar.

672508729_089DormerDoor4.jpeg.ee3ae6af46b4fa6ebec2834a726e89a1.jpeg

The three walls are then glued together, taking care to keep them level and square to each other.

192358743_090DormerDoor5.jpeg.863a8be3663eeeee86e3ba82ae77b520.jpeg

The next step is to fit both a floor and roof piece inside the wall structure, which will give the whole thing much greater stability. However, I have encountered an issue that I have sought some extra guidance on before committing to this step. I’ll update here once I’ve resolved that one.

Edited by gjdale

Nice works with those doors. Adding hinges and latches is icing on the cake. Made you cross-eyed for a while. Been there too. 👍

Can you brace the corners with some stripwood or will it be visible.?

Ken