New Recruit

oakheart

Hi a new recruit from chilly Herefordshire UK saying hello.

Quick run down, I am a long time model maker, up to this point mainly in metal / plastic, I did have a go at making plywood speed boat when I was about 11 yrs old which was 60 years ago so I have a lot of catching up to do with working with wood at a small scale.

I recently finished a brass Copernican Orrey which took some 5 years from start to finish.

While looking for a new project, the guys at my local model club suggested making an RC ship so I purchased a Deans Marine Destroyer kit, with GRP hull, laser cut styrene superstructure and photo etched detail parts.

Which I have almost finished, it floats and can be steered around the club’s pond, I now need to add the detail.
So I am now looking again for a project to keep me busy, one of the club members makes the most amazing  3 masted sailing vessels, he suggested something like that as a next project.
I know I don’t have the skills in woodwork to take a project like that yet.

Then I found this amazing website and  group. Having a good look around, I have been very taken with the small boat projects shown on here, one of those small boats could be good start for me to learn and hone my skills, something like the ‘Bounty Launch’ or Chuck Passaro’s Medway longboat. Not to big, not too small, a ‘Goldilocks’ project.

There are a couple of problems with that, cash to get the kit, I am retired and living on the UK state pension, then there is the availability of kits here in the UK. 

Not to be put off I decided there was enough information around to scratch build a small boat. I hope to be mixing ideas from kits and build logs.

Having used CAD / CAM for many years, I downloaded the original bounty launch drawings from the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, imported it into Fusion 360, hand traced the parts to produce a full 3D model first which may help me to get a feel for the model I hope to make in wood. 

Then I found the discussion started by allanyed with imustbecrazy on ‘Bounty ships boats details’ which has got me all fired up. 

I am now plank counting….. is there no hope, am I lost to this crazy world.

Should I start a build log, I really don’t know what I am doing. 

I will be playing with ideas that may not work, there will be more questions than solutions.

Are photos of roughly chopped up bits of wood as prototypes really of any interest?

Which section would the log go in?

anyway, I think I could have a great time being part of this community.

Tim Coupland

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome aboard Tim. By all means start a log, in your case it would be in the scratch-built section. There are plenty of people that will be more than willing to lend some armchair advise.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Thanks to Patrick and Jim for the welcome.

Looking forward to some armchair advice, this weather I may well be in a cosy armchair myself.
The workshop is freezing.

Tim

Current Builds :

85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

:piratebo5:Tim, welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks for the welcome Edward and Keith

I already have a couple of questions

Is there anyway to get notifications of replies to posts?
How do I find out how to post photos?

Tim

Current Builds :

36 minutes ago, oakheart said:

Thanks for the welcome Edward and Keith

I already have a couple of questions

Is there anyway to get notifications of replies to posts?
How do I find out how to post photos?

Tim

There are a couple of ways to get notifications… if you start a topic, you should get notified of responses automatically. In other posts there is a button at the top right side of the post that states “follow”. The button gives options of the type of notification you can receive.

Adding photos is easy too.

Whfn adding a post there is an area at the bottom to drag and drop your photos!

Good luck and welcome!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Hi Lyle

Thanks for the welcome and the information, still finding my way around.

I have managed to change my profile image, woo hoo 

Tim

Current Builds :

Hi Mark 

Thanks for the welcome, if you come to Hereford look up our model club HSME ( open am. Tues and Sat ) near the Waterworks Museum.

Most of the members seem to be fixated with making little steam trains but there are a few sensible chaps here that are building boats and ships

I am gathering my ideas and photos to start the log.

Tim

Current Builds :

Hi John thanks for the warm welcome.

I was just down under in October, visiting "Rellies" in Sydney and Melbourne.

It's a shame we missed each other.

Tim

Current Builds :

Hi Tim. Welcome aboard!  Please do start a build log. I believe the build log is the best way to engage, get encouragement, and find the way forward when you are uncertain how to proceed.

Ken

Current Build

HM Alert - 1777 - Vanguard

Next Build

Fair American - Model Shipways

Completed Builds

18TH Century Merchantman Half Hull Planking Kit - NRG

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

Welcome to MSW, Tim.  Looking forward to your build log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Thanks to Ken, Dave and both Marks for the welcomes.

Looks like I need to start a build log and pretty soon.

Are phone photos good for logs?

Tim

Current Builds :

Very happy to see you join this motley crew at MSW Tim

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Allan

See you over in your Bounty Launch topic.

Current Builds :

Thanks for the welcome Andrew

Tim

Current Builds :

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah

The Mayflower  Amati 1:60 Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   To be decided!!

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

13 hours ago, oakheart said:

TAre phone photos good for logs?

Tim

Yes.  But do try to use a large an image as possible.  Some phones are limited to size and we end up tiny photos.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

12 hours ago, mtaylor said:

But do try to use a large an image as possible. 

Thanks Mark,

When you say large, Is there a size restriction?

Tim

Current Builds :

Hi Glen

Thanks for the welcome.

I have just started my build log, in scratch builds 17 to 1800

I know there is not much there yet but let me know what you think so far.

Really I am making it up as I go along. 

Tim

Current Builds :

13 hours ago, oakheart said:

Thanks Mark,

When you say large, Is there a size restriction?

Tim

There is but I'm not sure what it is currently.   I just size all mine a 1500 pixels wide and seems to give a good image.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

20 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I just size all mine a 1500 pixels wide and seems to give a good image.

Thanks Mark, I will stick to that size.

Tim

Current Builds :