USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Looking good Augie. Since they're brass is there a reason you're going to paint them vs. blackening? Just curious.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

I blacken lots of small items but just prefer to paint cannons.  I'll be using MS Cannon Black acrylic to which I add a bit of dark blue to get what I like.  It's applied in multiple very thin coats to maintain the detail.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Are you thinking 20 coats rubbed out between each coat?  Or is that only for candy apple red Chevy's? ;)

Your forest looks very impressive, Augie.  I guess with the cooler weather moving in, you have more shop time?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I love the cannons they are going to look great when fitted

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

One thing I've noticed with all your painting applications is that you stress many layers of thin coat application. That is an echo of my fathers voice, a master of many traits ;).

In my heart, you are in good company.

Bill :)

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Sorry Mark, only Ben uses 20 coats.  About 8 normally works for me.  Yay--- cool weather!

Brian-  no, I don't use primer.  It just ruins the detail for me and I've never had a paint adherence problem.  I just degrease the surface (in this case with alcohol because I used CA for the trunions and rings) and then go.  Granted the first 2 coats look horrible but then it's clear sailing.  We'll see in a few days !!!!!!

SJORS-  those are the Admiral's party toothpicks.  We bought 100 in 1967 and haven't used any yet.  Only you would notice that!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice touch with that breach ring Augie, by far the neatest I've seen so far, I'm going to bookmark that for sure.

Looking forward to seeing the finished guns mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Great discussion on painting cannon barrels.  I will bookmark these pages to refer back to on my next model.

When you say you  degrease in alcohol, I assume you mean rubbing alcohol.  And what do you do to the barrels between coats of paint?  Sand?  Use steel wool?  Also, do you water down the MS paint?

Thanks.

Edited by KenW

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Just enjoyed a catch-up on your log Augie, love those deck shots a few pages back.

I see you're adding breeching rings to your guns, is there a historical basis for this in relation to Confederacy or is it a case of Captains fancy.

I ask because somewhere in the back of my mind I recall that the Breeching ring was a feature of the Blomefield  pattern gun introduced around 1790, which I think post-dates Confederacy.

Of course our American cousins, or rebels as we might have described them back then, ;) may have already introduced the Breeching ring to their ordnance without telling us :huh:

B.E.

KEN-  Yes, 91% isopropanol to be exact --- available at WalMart.  And I buff down with a piece of old cotton tee shirt between coats.  And yes, I thin the paint with distilled water.

BLUE ENSIGN ---  Thanks for stopping by!  I'm not the first rate researcher you are.  Chuck P. called for the rings, so rings there are.  We here in the colonies stick together.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

You are correct.  There would not have been breech rings at that time.  But it simplifies the process of rigging them.  Have you ever tried to splice plastic rigging line properly?   So it was an oversimplification to spare folks the headache when trying to rig the breech line around the button of the cannon as supplied by MS.  Especially after a fine paint job.  I talked about the decision quite a bit on the original build log for the prototype.   Nice catch again and hopefully this log will now serve as the place to get the scoop on that.

Its looking great Augie.  :)

Chuck

The breech rings look very good Augie, I'll keep that in mind next time I do cannons. Chuck's cannons would really be hard to beat, what a great upgrade, he does such awesome work.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Definately a right move upgrading those cannons, boy what a difference huh?   Those should look real good when you get them all painted up.  I like the idea of adding the touch of blue - will be looking forward to seeing how they come out (am sure they will be faaaantastic!)

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

cannon barrels look great Augie.......do you need to assemble the carriages as well?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yes, Popeye.  Lots of parts in those carraiges!  I'll be showing some details in a week or so.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie:

Just playing a little catch up on some of my favorite builds on this quiet Sunday morning. Can 't wait to see your next update on my favorite ship.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Just a quick update.  The cannons have been painted .... and I included the anchors for good measure.

post-56-0-87855200-1415554673_thumb.jpg

Wound up using 8 coats of my black/blue acrylic followed with a coat of Testor's Clear Flat acrylic.

Now, before anyone goes ballistic on the brass muzzle faces........

.....  About 1 1/2 years ago, I was very impressed with Mobbsie's treatment of the guns for his Agamemnon.  He leaves the entire muzzle section in natural brass as his trademark.  It was my thought that a scaled-back reveal of the brass on just the muzzle face might be attractive, if not true to actual practice.  As it turns out, I find this approach very appealing but the jury is still out until the guns are mounted in the gun ports.

Naturally, I requested Mobbsie's approval on this blatant pilfering of his idea.  He was kind enough to offer his tacit approval.  Yes, there was some discussion about renumeration for certain taxes on tea that apparently were overlooked a while back....but all has been resolved.

Work has already begun on assembly of the gun carraiges.  Hopefully, progress by Thanksgiving!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Beautiful!

You could also add muzzle covers like most ships had at sea during the period. I have a couple on my shelf in my office patterned after some from the American War for Independence, and the War of 1812. Some cover the entire muzzle, others just about a half inch larger than the bore on the cap.

Here is an example of a muzzle cover. Most of the period the Confederacy had an eyelet with a ring, with a rope that ran inboard to through the gun port for easy removal, and recovery if necessary. I have also seen them on some of the older naval board models painted red. 

post-5402-0-02420500-1415624373.jpg

- Tim

Thanks all for the comments and ideas.  

Lawrence- you can't go wrong having that clear flat acrylic around.  I know others use Testor's Dullcoat in either spray or brush-on but I've never found it. This Testor's product is in the Model Master line and I use only the brush on.  Dries very quickly and will take that wee bit of 'shine' off of anything.

By the way, I just noticed something on that photo.  I'm usually pretty lazy and take photos with a paper towel background.  For this shot I 'borrowed' a piece of material from the Admiral's stash.  That material is actually a light sky blue!  It appears my camera and/or shop lighting 'eats' blue.  I do have a window in the shop and always carry my parts 'over there' for color matching in natural light.  Just something to keep in mind for those of us who work in artificial light.  

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice color on the guns Augie.....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I'll send you my bank details Augie, though I'm still woefully short on remuneration for that tea party you guys had. I wouldn't have minded but us Brits weren't even invited.  :P  :P

I like your paintwork mate, a new trademark methinks. :)

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I like the black/blue hue of the paint. The dull coat seems to give a sense of "heaviness" to the guns and especially the anchor without masking the details. I think the brass face is a nice detail that will slow the eye down looking across the length of the ship.

Very nice work Augie, love the attention to detail!

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L