Oseberg and Kraken by Glen McGuire - FINISHED - Bottle - 1/250

On 3/16/2023 at 3:38 AM, O.B.one said:

Nowhere on earth is there another one like this. Well done mate 

Maybe I missed it, are you going to pour resin over the white bit to make it look like water?

Thanks, O.B.one!  And yes, I am going to add water to the base.  However, I've never done water outside a bottle before, so I have not figured out exactly what my approach will be.  I've found some videos that use paint over aluminum foil that turned out nice, so I may go that route.     

Edited by Glen McGuire

32 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

Thanks, O.B.one!  And yes, I am going do add water to the base.  However, I've never done water outside a bottle before, so I have not figured out exactly what my approach will be.  I've found some videos that use paint over aluminum foil that turned out nice, so my go that route.     

Hey, buddy, I do hope you're going to try/test your water techniques on scrape pieces first. I don't know how folks do it but I've seen "water" clinging to the sides of a submarine as it sounds. Water clinging to the Kraken's tentacles would be a hot look but I'd think you want to make sure your technique is fool proof because the very last thing in the world would be to ruin the Kraken.

You're making me want get back into clay........"Honey, mind if if I use you stove's oven this afternoon?" Talk about bringing out the Kraken! 

Still in a sate of WAH!! Way cool. Check out @hollowneck,  his Camilla log is fantastic,  best water I have seen, my opinion,  there are doing a work shop in June  here at MSW on water making, but we can't wait that long  can we lol.

OR, use Australian  ginger beer, it like      water  I hear. Lol 😆 

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

18 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Hey, buddy, I do hope you're going to try/test your water techniques on scrape pieces first. I don't know how folks do it but I've seen "water" clinging to the sides of a submarine as it sounds. Water clinging to the Kraken's tentacles would be a hot look but I'd think you want to make sure your technique is fool proof because the very last thing in the world would be to ruin the Kraken.

Yes, yes, and yes!

18 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

You're making me want get back into clay

Wait, what???  "Back into clay"???  Does that mean that you could have been giving me tips all along on how to deal with that messy junk???  I did choose the air-dry stuff though.  I kept imagining myself sticking that thing in the oven, not hearing the timer going off, and returning to find a black, smoldering mess. 

14 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

use Australian  ginger beer, it like      water  I hear. Lol 😆 

Careful now.  We don't want @mtaylor adding more comments about making love in a canoe.  😳

I dabbled back in the day, I know just enough to make me dangerous. I've got air dry clay creations I made over thirty years ago that are still with us. I was always a bit ill at ease with that type of clay because even when dry you can add water and it'll soften up but I guess thirty years is proof it stands the test of time.  

15 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

I've got air dry clay creations I made over thirty years ago that are still with us.

As the millennials say, pictures or it didn't happen!!  😃

Wow well done Glen!!!  Kraken came out cracking!  Good stuff!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Diving head first into the water.  I decided to go down the wrinkled aluminum foil path.  I want the scene under and around the bottle to look like an angry swarm of tentacles whipping around.  So there is going to be a lot of churn and froth in the water where the tentacles are.   I think the aluminum foil will work best for that effect.

I started with a thin layer of epoxy resin to provide a smooth base and to also fill in the little grooves and gaps where the edges of the kraken meet the base.  I know, it looks like he's in a kiddie wading pool!

20230317_081157.thumb.jpg.1bebbbd01340bd807c22ab3aeae2603a.jpg

Next, I used some of the modeling clay to build up the waves.

20230317_111234.thumb.jpg.69b7432b02075bd414496ac0f9ab6108.jpg

Step 3 was adding the wrinkled aluminum foil.  

20230319_080003.thumb.jpg.81c90a9c29a51654fb973cdee60b910e.jpg

As you can see in the above pic, my layer of foil is a patchwork quilt of many pieces.  It would have been much easier (and a much better look) to cover the base with a single sheet of foil so I would not have all those straight-edge lines going everywhere.  But since I'm doing the water last, after everything is already in place, I've got to do it this way.

So to erase all the egregious straight lines, which obviously you would never see in real water, I added a layer of thick, white, acrylic paint.

20230320_110007.thumb.jpg.49f794f4a0065370956cd64252b21ec5.jpg

Next step is the real painting effort.

Edited by Glen McGuire

This is going to be a very cool ,  like there was any doubt  😉.  Looking forward to seeing the water    :cheers:

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

Glen, that last photo is awesome! I can't get over how real the Kraken looks, just amazing. The Kraken being surrounded by its current all white state one would expect to see a........wait for it.......Polar Bear. :D

9 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Glen, that last photo is awesome! I can't get over how real the Kraken looks, just amazing. The Kraken being surrounded by its current all white state one would expect to see a........wait for it.......Polar Bear. :D

What NO Penguins lol

24 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

The Kraken being surrounded by its current all white state one would expect to see a........wait for it.......Polar Bear. 

OMG, I better paint that water blue quickly!  But then again, thanks for giving me an idea for my next project!!!

Picture3.png

Edited by Glen McGuire

I've retired the mention of that flightless bird, I speak its name no more. I've given it leave to go it's way, it's place another shore. 

Looks great Glen!  I used the same crinkled foil technique for my water dioramas.  One thing to note is that even though I added a sheet on top of the crinkled pieces, sometimes the more sharper folds ended up having trouble keeping paint and required extra attention and touchups down the stretch - problems which people try to avoid by adding the full sheet on top of the crinkled pieces.  It was a real pain for me as I was building up the sea color-wise using different shades, so just trying to touch up with a brush was tricky.

So it might be worth trying to at least push down the sharper folds before you get too much further since you aren't taking that precautionary step.  You could also brush on some gesso, where the thickness of that medium will cover the folds and smooth things out.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Glen,

Absolutely amazing work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

3 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

I know, it looks like he's in a kiddie wading pool!

Your next project then? 🤣

4 hours ago, Keith Black said:

So the Kraken already ate the flightless bird, the boat is next and the bear is dessert?  I need a scorecard to keep track of all this.

That is going to be some great looking water when done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

I need a scorecard to keep track of all this.

That makes two of us, Mark!  I'm gonna need a Foster's lager and a canoe when this is done.

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

You could also brush on some gesso

Had not heard of that before, but checked it out and Just ordered some.  Thanks for the recommendation, Mike!

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

So the Kraken already ate the flightless bird, the boat is next and the bear is dessert?  I need a scorecard to keep track of all this.

This sounds like the Hungry, Hungry Kraken!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

You're welcome to the Fosters Glen but I will try to warn you off that exported 'dishwater' :).  That diorama is starting to look really good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

22 hours ago, Keith Black said:

The best beer in the world is made relatively close to where Glen lives, Shiner Bock,

Big call Keith - I'll stay away from that debate :)  - Luckily I stick to good ol' rum (Bundaberg preferably)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

On 3/21/2023 at 7:06 PM, BANYAN said:

I'll stay away from that debate :)

There oughta be a whole nuther thread for that debate, maybe in the Crew's Lounge!

Small update here.  I added a base layer of color to the water.  I used Tamiya Sea Blue mixed with a tinge of Tamiya Clear Blue and brushed it on.   

20230322_211724.thumb.jpg.ea58d77089f2b5adedd5674570b2d007.jpg

I was trying to get a match for this color of ocean water below, erring on the blueish side if any.  I think I got it pretty close.

1691232.jpg.9c2b6e90800eee2a0ce43f16a792914d.jpg

The I decided my water under the bottle was too calm.  So I grabbed some globs of my modeling clay, built several more waves, and added more patchwork foil.  

20230323_204605.thumb.jpg.c00a31a1c40a4d6d7c43b51ec3dfba5d.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

And the Kraken says "bottoms up..... cheers".  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The First Mate says that is so cool 😎.  I say your fixing to make an awesome  display eh.  :cheers:

4 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

I was trying to get a match for this color of ocean water below

I’d say you nailed it Glen!

10 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

I say your fixing to make an awesome  display eh.

Nice!  You gotta be the first Canadian to ever say "fixing to..."  😃

You do know what's missing, right? No, ain't talking about penguins...

water that runs off the edge of the bottle opening! either running straight down or into a slight bend in the direction of Kraken's mouth... I'm thinking mixing clear acrylic gel with the same pigment as the epoxy? Or building it up externally from epoxy and then gluing it in place at the opening? 

Just saying though... Fantastic job so far! :10_1_10:

15 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

There oughta be a whole nuther thread for that debate, maybe in the Crew's Lounge!

Small update here.  I added a base layer of color to the water.  I used Tamiya Sea Blue mixed with a tinge of Tamiya Clear Blue and brushed it on.   

20230322_211724.thumb.jpg.ea58d77089f2b5adedd5674570b2d007.jpg

I was trying to get a match for this color of ocean water below, erring on the blueish side if any.  I think I got it pretty close.

1691232.jpg.9c2b6e90800eee2a0ce43f16a792914d.jpg

The I decided my water under the bottle was too calm.  So I grabbed some globs of my modeling clay, built several more waves, and added more patchwork foil.  

20230323_204605.thumb.jpg.c00a31a1c40a4d6d7c43b51ec3dfba5d.jpg

Impressive work!! Congrats

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

2 hours ago, Javelin said:

You do know what's missing, right? No, ain't talking about penguins...

water that runs off the edge of the bottle opening!

Yes, totally agree with you.  That's on my list of remaining items but have not figured out how to pull it off.  I will do some experimenting with your suggestions!

And of course when you said what's missing, my first thought went to penguins too!  😆

21 minutes ago, Gus M said:

Impressive work!! Congrats

Thank you, Gus!