Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Well, I finally had to bite the bullet and start the work on the head. I made and installed the hair and scroll brackets, the upper and lower cheeks and the bolsters. These were all made from boxwood using a sheet of drawings from Sam as templates. Given my lack of success in the past scribing molding lines on small scale pieces, I chose, as I've done on other models to create the moldings by using laminated parts with rounded edges. The bracket pieces were bent to shape before laminating. 

I also drilled the holes for the mainstay collar in the gammoning knee and for the bobstays in the stem.

Next up will be the rails and head  timbers. As a note for the future, I tried to fit the kit casting for the figurehead, but decided that it is unacceptably too large ( and not very good). I'm now unsure what I'm going to do about a figurehead. My choices would seem to be a wood carving or using Sculpey, neither of which I've ever done. Sam had once offered to do a resin casting, but I've been unable to reach him by PM or e-mail. Does anyone know if he is alright?

Bob

post-186-0-99915000-1410012317_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-65927500-1410012381_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-48871700-1410012428_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-26672600-1410012476_thumb.jpg

That head on shot takes courage.  In your case, it's perfect.

Haven't seen anything from Sam since July.  Hope he's ok.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very nice work Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautiful symmetry there Bob. I haven't tried it myself, but Sculpey might be a good option to try - at least you can put some more on if you take off too much! ;) I know that Brian C used it for his decorations on his Fubbs, and they seem to have turned out very well indeed.

You are off to a very goo start with your head! And where the figurehead is concerned I would give both methods a try. The advantage with sculpey is that you can repeat, add and change parts of the figure several times without bad consequences, which is more difficult with wood. However I ended up liking wood much better because it holds the shape (sculpey does not quite as well until you baked it) and you don't have to simulate wood color afterwards  ;)  Well, in any case, good luck with it! 

Thomas 

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks so much Thomas. At some point I've got to stop thinking and worrying about the figurehead and just try doing it, probably both ways, clay and wood.

Bob

I suggest researching Samuel McIntire, the real Essex's carver. His works were unique for their day. He was known for his eagles (wet chickens) and richly vined scroll work, not so much for figures. His style was more Grandma Moses and less William Rush. The Essex's carvings were much admired for their clean, uniquely American simplicity, and they were said to have inspired the later, post Federalist navy's style: eagles, stars and scrolls. There are several books in print on McIntire's works. He was primarily a furniture and mantlepiece maker. The Essex's Indian looks a lot like the Indian in the then Seal of the State of Massachusetts, IMHO.

Thanks for the info Frolick. I went on line to do some research on McIntire and I see what you mean about his figures (at least the few photos I found of figureheads). The simplicity of facial features should suit my lack of carving talent well.

Bob

Bob I've just gotten caught up on your build.  You've come a long way in a year, she's looking wonderful!  All your addtions and scratched items look great.

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Another couple of steps forward on the head ( not without a number of steps backward and sideways in the process). The main rail with its timber head and the head timbers and their cross pieces have been made and installed. The rails are laminated boxwood strip, bent and sanded to shape, following the templates provided by Sam Cassano. The head timbers are the laser cut kit pieces, modified to fit.

Next will be the lower rail, eking and cathead supports. These should provide even more redos than the work just completed.

Bob

post-186-0-83666200-1410609491_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-32300000-1410609530_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-76295300-1410609575_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-55937400-1410609626_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-20926600-1410609666_thumb.jpg

Super Bob,

your Essex is built so nice accurate and clean, it could be an demonstrator object for the next kits box-cover,

Very well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Your extra effort is paying off in spades!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very nice work on the head.   I take it you're filling the scrap box quickly which seems to be a common thread around here. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Superb work. Will be looking back at your head works when my turn to make them comes = very soon :o.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)