Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Thanks Grant, Mark, Alistair and the"likes". 

Mark, I think that I may need a new scrap box by the time that I finish the cathead supports and eking -- if I don't run out of wood first. :(  :P

Bob

Impressive as always.  Can't wait for the finished result.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Good news and bad news: First the bad news -- after beating my head against the wall trying to do the cathead supports and eking, I decided to take a time-out. The good news is that I did do the lower rail and then decided to do other work on the head ( the gratings, ledges, knees, boomkin chocks).

Apart from the grating, which is a laser cut kit part finished with golden oak stain, all of the other parts were made from boxwood strip.The lower rail is a two part lamination to create the molding.

I will now return to the cathead supports and eking. :(  :angry:

Bob

post-186-0-53793500-1411043919_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-87770700-1411043971_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-54930600-1411044017_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-86130100-1411044061_thumb.jpg

Bob

Did you procure a full set of matching planks in boxwood before starting this build, or do you have the capability of cutting your own strips?

She is looking great, but you must have a ton of basswood strips lying around. I cant get over how clean all your connections and joints are.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Come on Bob,

With your skills it wil work !

Look at it with a fresh look and ......yippie, you've done it !!!!!!!

Your build is still museum quality !!!!!!

Sjors

Thanks so much Dirk, Ken, John, Sjors and Frolick for the very kind comments and also the"likes".

Ken, I got boxwood and holly strip and sheet from Hobbymill to do this build. I have neither the capability nor the desire to cut my own. You are quite right that I have a big pile of unused basswood from this and previous builds -- seems like almost enough to go into business  ;)  :D  :D.

Bob,

The problem I have with your build is finding new superlatives to use. Those I have not used yet are in short supply!  ^_^ 

On a serious note, I have cancelled my Essex kit order. After it being on back order from late November last year (2013), I decided to allocate the funds to my Constitution build for some upgrading fittings and lumber.

Although I am considering exploring the idea of scratch building the Essex in 1:64 scale (in a plank on bulkhead format) once I am done with the Constitution. There is a gentleman locally here that does laser cutting, so I may have him cut a keel and bullheads for me. Or I may break down and buy this kit once it is finally available. The direction is still yet to be determined.

Until then, I will continue living vicariously through your superb build!

- Tim

Edited by Tim I.

Thanks so much Thomas. For whatever reason, I've just had a lot of trouble with them.

Thanks so much Tim. I think you made the right decision on the kit. I'd love to see you do the scratch build at 1:64. Since I've scratch built almost everything, there are days when I wish that I had done that.

Bob

Well, for better or worse, I installed the cathead supports and eking. I still wasn't entirely happy, but I had had enough of it. :angry:  After finishing that, I had a burst of activity and did the seats of ease, the anchor billboards and the waist gang board rails.

The supports and eking are boxwood, as are the seats and billboards. The waist railing uses the same brass stanchions that I used for the quarterdeck ladderway, with a rope railing. 

The remaining work on the head is the figurehead, the iron railings and supports and the boomkins. The railings and boomkins won't be done until I've made and installed the bowsprit and done the gammoning. My Sculpey and a set of clay modeling tools just arrived from Amazon, so I'll start experimenting with the figurehead. I'll probably also start working on the bowsprit at the same time.

Remaining work on the hull consists of the deadeyes, the hammock stanchions and netting, the anchors, the lantern and the boat(s). It is my current intention not to do any of this until I have at least made and installed the lower masts.

Bob

post-186-0-82359500-1411413418_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-15434800-1411413438_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-83460500-1411413457_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-81802700-1411413475_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-33273300-1411413494_thumb.jpg

It looks superb to my eye Bob. Not sure you need that grumpy face if I'd made those head works I'd :).

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Bob,

I just had a wonderful time reading the 8 pages of posts I'd missed and truely enjoyed every minute of it!

As many have said your workmanship is outstanding and an inspiration to us all. Thanks for taking the

time and sharing it with us.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Superb as always Bob. Not sure why you're not happy with the head works - I'd be delighted to have done the same!

Thanks so much Tim, Alistair, John, Rusty and Grant and the "likes".

Alistair and Grant, You guys know as well as anyone  that we are our own worst critics. I think that I just spent too much time on the cathead supports. After a while, nothing you do looks good.

Bob

Bob, I know I am repeating myself, but whenever I look at your work I have the same thought: this is absolutely beautiful! It is just a pleasure to follow your build log!

Thomas 

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Wow, Bob - very nice job on those bits.  The details look spot-on, and the cathead supports look amazing.

So - have you done carving before?  If your sculpey work is anything like your wood work, that figure head will be a piece of art!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks so much Wayne. I'm looking forward to progress on your Essex.

I've never tried to carve a figure of any kind, either in wood or clay. It should be interesting to see how it turns out. :huh:

Bob

I've been working on two areas --one successfully and one not so much. The bowsprit is done, but not yet permanently installed. The work included tapering and shaping the piece, making and adding the bees and bee blocks, making and adding the cap, making and adding the dolphin striker, making and adding the gammoning cleats, jib boom saddle and spritsail sling saddle and adding the single woolding. The bowsprit itself is a dowel, stained with golden oak stain, and the other wooden parts are boxwood. The bowsprit will not be mounted until the various hearts and deadeyes have been attached.

I have made the hearts from boxwood strip and the deadeyes I'm using are from Model Expo. I am now in the process of making their collars.

The less productive work that I've been doing is on the figurehead. I can only describe my efforts to date, both with clay and wood, to be embarrassingly pathetic. So bad in fact that I took no pictures and won't even describe the results. I need to do some rethinking. 

Bob

post-186-0-45475700-1412186574_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-69864100-1412186598_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-78118900-1412186636_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-06169700-1412186662_thumb.jpg