Messerschmitt Bf-110 by Javlin - Revell/Dragon - 1/32

I have been working this one over since I finished the Tigercat .The copit has taken some time paint is Mrhobby lacquer(seems a bit green for RLM02) and the dressing is Quintas liking these guys more and more.I am not far from buttoning up the fuse all in all probably 20hrs in this area when said and done.I still need to finish the cannons underneath the radio area.The fit looks good thus far right were it should be got to get some lunch 1:30 now been at it since 8AM.;)

Me-110 001.JPG

Me-110 003.JPG

Me-110 004.JPG

I'm down for this one...

Very nice work... 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Those Quintas cockpit panels do photograph nice don't they...

Makes detailing a cockpit easy...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

3 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Makes detailing a cockpit easy.

Makes it easier still hard to believe that's about 17hrs of work but well worth EG.I have two Revell MkIXc each with a Quintas when the time is ready.I will be Spitfired out when I build 3x Tamys MkVIII,MkIX,MkXVIe and the two Revells.;)

Those Quinta 3D decals look great. This build is looking sharp already. 😄

And yeah, Mr Hobby RLM02 does look pretty green.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

11 hours ago, Canute said:

And yeah, Mr Hobby RLM02 does look pretty green.

I have always used MM enamels all my life now they no longer exist there's was a little more grey.

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Great subject, gonna be a big-boy in 1:32.

She will be Craig I think the WS=40cm/16" if memory serves me right..;)

On 4/21/2023 at 1:00 AM, CDW said:

Great subject, gonna be a big-boy in 1:32.

Oh by the way got bigger 50.6cm better than 20" Craig.I have been working the engines nothing fancy since they will not be shown but I am practicing some hand painting for a 109 one day.;)

I thought I drop a pick before the airshow today at Keesler.The LG assembly according to the instructions was poor without clear indications of the manner position said pieces.I found it necessary to build the A-arm on roof of WW and move out from there.The instructions had one build the whole LG outside the WW and position just did not happen I had to disassemble the first and start over being wrong.The engines are basic.The nacelles around the engines again poor instruction to locations via pics presented.I found it best to assemble everything to the lower wing,install engine/WW,assemble wing and build the upper Nacelle into place.I still needed filler but nothing major.The fit of the wing looks good thus far what you see Now is not glued.The LG final assembly was the high point of this area and to me very Nice and strong. ;)

Me-110 001.JPG

The Airshow was pretty good not enough vintage A/C but for the first one since 2019 I'll take it.The CAF had a few planes and had brought along the Tora brigade and was really pretty cool I thought I was watching the Movie.The sound of a double row of Radials is just something to love and the B-25 "Yellow Rose" did it's part,The Mig-17 I have seen it before but was a screamer today.The event then moved from the flight line to the beach GOM @3pm for the Thunderbirds I got some good parking about 1 mile from the main spot and sat on the boardwalk on the beach with literally thousands of other people .......frigg'in Nice!!The TB's when sideways over the GOM about a mile out even though white looked silver in the sunlight..cool.;)

I have gotten a little accomplished over the last couple of weeks been working out of town turning 10hr days into 12 but that seems to be finished for now.The cowls on the other engine a bear as much as the first requiring a little more filler than the first.....maybe I should of followed the instructions version of assembly but I hate to put on the exhaust before the paint.The bomb rack under the fuse while the holders for the sway of the bombs have locating pins no holes in the rack or were to drill I look at the pics drilled and applied.The wheels are not glued in yet just there and That's the correct angle for the main LG had to go look that one up.The copit with the Quinta's  is a Nice combination worth the few extra bucks.Guys RLM02 for the main bombs can never remember for Luft A/C?I have no filler for the upper wing joint and could almost forget about the bottom but I will pay it the little attention that is needed.The build overall has been quite Nice to me I give the fit 85/90 and the instructions 75/80 with the engine nacelles being the worst part of the kit ditch the engines and drop in a plate for the exhaust would be my solution if a redo should happen.;)

Me-110 001.JPG

Me-110 002.JPG

Me-110 003.JPG

Interior color is RLM02 Grau (Gray). My source has a slight green tinge,

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

15 minutes ago, Canute said:

Interior color is RLM02 Grau (Gray). My source has a slight green tinge,

I felt in the beginning of the build to much green but the lighting has alot to play with the perception of the color later working with it.I find the color acceptable  now and will be ordering some more down the road.;)

There was a reason for the landing gear being that way and I'm trying to find via Google why as I don't remember exactly why.   I do have a vague recollection that it had something do with unimproved airfields, weight at takeoff and landing.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

There was a reason for the landing gear being that way

Mark went and dug out the old Squadron book for that and paint application nothing about the wheels I saw just a special jack for changing tires.The other reason was the camo were presenting the wavy lines to the underwing but videos I watched did not represent that.I found two pics in the book about the Waspen Gruppe straight across the leading wing edge .:Whew:

If you check out articles on the Piper Cub (the landing gear suspension on that venerable workhorse is literally bunjee cord) you can find articles on the positive camber angle. The gear spreads a bit when the balloon tires hit the runway.

21 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I do have a vague recollection that it had something do with unimproved airfields, weight at takeoff and landing.  

Actually, it is an old engineering technique to allow the single tired, wheeled landing gear to track straight on uneven ground.... You find it on many aircraft designed to use unimproved runways or even pastures...

What happens if the wheel is mounted straight vertical, when a bump is hit the wheels moves vertically and tends to deflect laterally, pulling the aircraft in a different direction... The camber of the wheel forces the wheel to remain vertical through it's movement while going over the bump.... You would note that the landing gear is also isolated from the frame of the aircraft with rubber mount bushings, so there is a tiny tiny bit of flex to the gear to account for the stress of being deflected sidewards...

It's also the reason for the lower pressure big balloon tires, lots of sidewall flexibility there as well...

You don't notice the deflection at taxi speed, but at take off and landing speeds? It's a big reason there were so many ground loop accidents during the early days of aviation... A pilot really had to be on the ball when taking off and landing, the most dangerous aspect of flying in the early days...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

12 minutes ago, Egilman said:

A pilot really had to be on the ball when taking off and landing, the most dangerous aspect of flying in the early days...

My tail dragger RC biplanes always required a lot of right rudder to counteract engine torque and avoid ground loop on takeoff, along with enough up elevator to keep the tail on the ground until enough speed was generated for lift to avoid nosing over. Monoplanes (tail draggers) required this too but biplanes particularly sensitive.

Thanks for that explanation.   Me old brain just ain't what it used to be.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Getting close to the finish line fellas.The paints are all MrHobby lacquers and slowly learning the curve here if paint builds up on your forks of the airbrush it's to thick.I am thinking that these paints thin out like 60/70 thinner?:dontknow: I hope she comes through with some approval from you guys I'm thinking when all said and done she will be a smart looking crate.;)

I think the yellow is a bit bright but no RLM04 was to be had this is Tamiya's yellow and not RLM04.

Me-110 001.JPG

Me-110 002.JPG

Me-110 003.JPG

Me-110 004.JPG

Me-110 005.JPG

That is a beautiful camo job!!! Nice airbrush work!!!

The yellow is fine it stood out like that in real life as well...

Quote:

10 hours ago, Egilman said:

That is a beautiful camo job!!! Nice airbrush work!!!

EG I work it with an extra fine tip thin paint and 25psi the AB never stops moving mainly circle 8 pattern much of the time I kinda like the fade look some what.I know a fella on another forum Down Under who paints Tamy Acrylics high pressure 30+psi and many little dots looks really sweet but takes hours of work this me took 2/3hours.This is some of his work he likes 1/48 he does 1/32 just as Nice but how many more hours of labor?

62_Dk Green Started_2469.jpg

5_Finished_2657.webp

Edited by Javlin

2 hours ago, Javlin said:

I work it with an extra fine tip thin paint and 25psi the AB never stops moving mainly circle 8 pattern much of the time I kinda like the fade look some what.I know a fella on another forum Down Under who paints Tamy Acrylics high pressure 30+psi and many little dots looks really sweet but takes hours of work this me took 2/3hours.This is some of his work he likes 1/48 he does 1/32 just as Nice but how many more hours of labor?

Artwork like this is a labor of love brother... Anyone can slap together a model, it takes a MODELER to make a piece of art....

Quote:

12 hours ago, Egilman said:

Artwork like this is a labor of love brother... Anyone can slap together a model, it takes a MODELER to make a piece of art....

It takes a rare set of skills to elevate a plastic model to the realm of art -- which partly explains why I stick to card models! 😂

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Maybe some one can relate/explain but I just about fooked this one up.I was spraying Light Sheen lacquer on the plane to get ready for decals did not like the texture so buffed with 800grit scotch bright got a weathered look but not what I was going after.I decided to wipe with alcohol and it stripped to the plastic in a couple of areas I was like WTH?It has to be because it was 91% alcohol?I repainted all's good and laid down my usual Future I think I well relegate that stuff to the final fluid through the airbrush on a cleaning!!:Whew: