Young America 1853 by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper

Thanks for the comments and likes. They do keep my nose to the grindstone. Work on the "tween decks" planking is going very fast. Maybe its the learning curve, but it does get easier at the top.

Revier, Ihave not seen you on the forum for awhile.

Ed

E&T,

I look forward to seeing your results.  File folders are not what they used to be - probably now made from recycle.  I probably should have used Bristol or something harder, but I believe the shellac soaking will protect it well - and as I said it is buried in the depths where it is difficult to see and out of harms way.   I started using card many, many years ago on model railroad structures.  Those that have survived in my basement still look good.  Best of all, its easy to use.

Ed

I've card maquettes of Bristol Board and illustration board that are still fine after decades. They were assembled using white glue, sprayed with grey automotive primer and then painted with acrylics. I think that, as Ed points out, excluding air and direct light helps longevity.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I based the design for these on pictures from the JL Mott catalog from 1886.  Mott was the foremost New York ironmonger from 1828, making a large range of iron goods well into the 20th

Made me smile Ed,  wonder if it is some long lost relative?

Stunning workmanship as always Ed, I would agree about the use of card for the simulations of sheet steel. The shellac treatment really gives it a lot of strength, reminds me of the model books about building structures for model railways that I read as a kid.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Micheal,

If its a long lost relative, you might be a long lost heir to a ton of money.  The company was successful and had a huge business for more than a century.  They made everything from toilet fixtures to tanks to cast iron fencing starting in 1828,  They eventually moved to Trenton, NJ.  You can find their catalog on line.

I guess a lot of us have a bit of model railroading somewhere in our past.  I remember an article in the 1960's on using Strathmore paper to make all sorts of simulated iron structures, including trusses.  It was sold by ply then - 2 ply, 3 ply, etc. and by surface - high, medium, etc. I haven't seen those designations for years - but I still have my ponce wheel.

Ed

Great progress Ed.........Quite enthrauling.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 87 – Middle Deck Inboard Planking continued

In the first picture the last strake of inboard planking on the port side is being installed – leaving the air strake above it.

post-570-0-47640700-1412959659_thumb.jpg

Treenailing has begun on both sides.  The next picture shows some nails installed and holes drilled for the next group.

post-570-0-00837000-1412959660_thumb.jpg

The treenails measure 1½” (.021”) in diameter and are drawn from long strips of Castelo.  The next picture shows the completed forward area above the middle deck.

post-570-0-64912900-1412959660_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows a treenail strip being inserted into one of the aft deck beams – about to be clipped off.

post-570-0-19778300-1412959661_thumb.jpg

The aft part of the middle deck is the first to be finished off so the beams of the cabin deck can be installed next.  The cabin deck is just a few feet above the middle deck.

In the next picture the middle deck work in this area below the cabin deck is being given a coat of wax – below the clamps.

post-570-0-88366300-1412959661_thumb.jpg

In the next picture the wax has sunk in and dried.

post-570-0-47599600-1412959662_thumb.jpg

The aftermost cabin deck beam has been glued in.  The next picture shows another view of this.

post-570-0-06659500-1412959663_thumb.jpg

The next step will be to fit the deck beams and their knees for the cabin deck framing.  Treenailing along the rest of the deck continues.

Ed

Part 88 – Cabin Deck Framing/Planking

The cabin deck provided accommodation for senior officers and passengers.  In elevation, it was midway between the middle and poop decks – to provide increased headroom.  The deck occupies the area aft of frame 36.  It is just under 45’ in length on the centerline.  The first picture shows beams being fitted.

post-570-0-57954900-1413133369_thumb.jpg

No details are known about the structure of the deck.  I have assumed scantlings equal to the main deck – beams 12” x 12”.  Also, since the structure is lighter and close to the deck below, I have omitted hanging knees.  The next picture shows all six beams installed and awaiting the lodging knees.

post-570-0-37392300-1413133370_thumb.jpg

In the next picture, lodging knees, plain square pillars, carlings and ledges have been installed.

post-570-0-24316000-1413133371_thumb.jpg

In the next picture 12” wide by 6” thick margin planks are being installed around the sides – again no details known, but a reasonable guess.

post-570-0-00133000-1413133372_thumb.jpg

Because the main deck beam at frame 36 will be directly aligned with the beam for the cabin deck and because it is only a few feet above, the deck planking was installed next, while there was still access for drilling.  This work has begun in the next picture.

post-570-0-75283400-1413133372_thumb.jpg

I use .021” diameter pins forced into tight holes to secure the planking for gluing.  The holes are then enlarged slightly for treenails.

I have yet to decide on the full extent of planking on this deck beyond the area of the cabins along the sides.  I expect to construct the partitions and built-in furniture for these.  More on this later.  The aft end of the main cabin between these rows of sleeping quarters will also likely be decked.  The next picture shows the completed planking in the cabin areas.

post-570-0-48978500-1413133373_thumb.jpg

The planks are 3½” thick and 7” wide.  I did not take the trouble to cut these into the margin plank because bedsteads will cover the margin plank and the first few strakes of decking.  In the next picture, treenailing of decking on the port side has begun.

post-570-0-41670400-1413133374_thumb.jpg 

The first two rows have been nailed.  The third row has been drilled.  The treenails are 1½” (.021”) diameter Castello.  This has become the de facto standard size on the model.

Treenailing of the inboard side planking continues.

Ed

Is there another way, Frank?

I ripped off a thin blank from a 2"x2"x24" piece of Castelo, then drew it down to the .021" diameter.

Ed

Thanks Ed. The reason I asked is that I had already tried the same thing with African pear, and the wood disintegrated before I could get it down to a reasonable size. It must be the wood - it seems to splinter a lot.

Thanks,Karl - and thanks everyone for the"likes".

Frank, I'd bet it is the wood species. I have used Boxwood, Bamboo and Castelo successfully using the Brynes/ModelMachines drawplate. I am not pamiliar with African pear.

Ed

Beautiful work as always Ed.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Part 89 – Middle Deck Hatches/Cabin Deck

The first picture shows some of the treenailing on the cabin deck.

post-570-0-81031000-1413467039_thumb.jpg

These planks are 7” wide.  At this width the standard fastening spec was one per beam / ledge.  The treenails are about 1 ½” in diameter and are Castelo as mentioned in the last post.

The next picture shows a typical hatch being framed. 

post-570-0-51155300-1413467040_thumb.jpg

At this scale and on this deck, simple lap joints are used.  The head ledges are on top to secure the coamings.  These will be bolted at the pin locations, in each corner and in the center of the beam.

The next picture shows a coaming completed and being glued down and one still being fabricated.

post-570-0-11536000-1413467041_thumb.jpg

In the next picture the central planks are being installed between the openings for the hatches, masts and water tanks.

post-570-0-94026900-1413467041_thumb.jpg

These planks are needed to support the pillars under the main deck.  As with the deck below, no further planking will be done on this deck.

The next picture shows some additional planks being installed on the cabin deck.

post-570-0-52802100-1413467042_thumb.jpg

After having completed the drawing for arrangement of cabins, etc. on this deck the final amount of necessary planking can be set so those details can be constructed.  I don’t mind covering some of the structural detail in this area because some of it is based on assumptions and its authenticity cannot be verified.  The members – clamps, transoms - along the line of the main deck in this area will also be hidden by the cabins and related details as will the ends of the planking that are simply butted against the margin planks.  Cabin detail will be discussed later.

Ed

Nice to hear from you, Robin. Yes,she is slim and sleek - just 3+ feet broader than Naiad but 100 feet longer.

Ed

Wonderful !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Ed, your build log is such eye candy. One amazing 3D puzzle.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Part 90 – Main Deck Framing 1

Again, many thanks for all the nice comments and "likes."

In the first picture, the breast hook between the middle and main decks has been installed and the main deck hook is being fitted.  The main deck is the weather deck aft to the break at the beginning of the poop.  The forward section is covered by the forecastle.

post-570-0-83915100-1413923097_thumb.jpg

I made the deck hook in two pieces to save on wood and was not too particular about the way the pieces are joined since this will all be covered by decking and the forecastle.  The side planking treenails in the picture have not been sanded off yet.

The first major task on the main deck framing was to make the beams.  The full set is shown in the next picture.

post-570-0-03142500-1413923099_thumb.jpg

I have described the method for cutting out these rounded up beams in previous posts.  It is very fast and very accurate.  The set shown were made in less than two hours starting with a 2” thick block of Castelo.  The process, including tools and fixtures, was fully described in Naiad, Vol II.

In the next picture the beams have been cut to size, fitted and pinned in place.

post-570-0-67532400-1413923099_thumb.jpg

Most of these beams are 15” wide except for those at the mast partners (17”) and those nears the ends (12”).  All are 12” deep.  On the original ship they were hard pine – as were all the beams and much else.  Frames were white oak and most of the knees and hooks white or live oak.

The next step was to mark the centerline on each beam.  The next picture shows the last and easiest step in the process that begins with a string line between pins on the stem and sternpost.

post-570-0-34465700-1413923100_thumb.jpg

Although this process was done for every deck so far, I was a bit tense about the string line falling equidistant between the outside of the frames at each point.  It is getting a bit late in the day to fix any problems with this.  Misalignments would be very visible on this deck and could create a nightmare when the masts are installed.  The mast partners on the main deck must be plumb with the mast steps on the keel and also come through the center of the deck.  Fortunately, the centerline was well centered with only very minor remediation, so I am now in a more relaxed state.  After a substantial amount of checking, the pencil line drawn above was converted into a permanent scribed line on each beam. 

In the next picture the locations of all the carling and header scores are being marked out while the beams are still pinned in place. 

post-570-0-03328600-1413923101_thumb.jpg

The distances were marked out from the centerline with dividers.  In the picture a piece of carling stock is being used to mark both sides of the scores.

In the next picture the setting of beams has begun at the bow.

post-570-0-63129200-1413923101_thumb.jpg

The first very short beam will be secured only with lodging knees.  The hanging knees with their simulated bolts have been installed on the second beam.  The third beam has been glued and pinned to the clamps.

In the last picture the third beam - with its hanging knees and pillar - has been installed. 

post-570-0-39822600-1413923102_thumb.jpg

The next beam has been glued to the clamps and frames.  All of the scores in the beams are cut at the bench by hand before the beams are set – from the marks made previously.  Carlings are installed progressively after the knees and pillar on each beam.

A period of repetitive work will follow.  Most of the time doing this is spent making the hanging knees and fitting them under the beams.  Fortunately, some preparation work in this framing for main deck facilities will break some of the routine.  So, three down, thirty-one to go.

Ed

Ed; you wrote:

"I made the deck hook in two pieces to save on wood and was not too particular about the way the pieces are joined since this will all be covered by decking and the forecastle."

Your 'not too particular' is other folks' excellence! 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Ed,

Every deck beam is the same length and then cut in length to fit.  Is there a reason you do it this way rather than making each closer to the needed length then field fit?

Regardless of why, the whole thing is just great!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you, Druxey.  You're very kind.  Thanks Sherry.  Good to see you back.

And thank you, Allan.  There are two answers to your question.  Part 1: The beams start out at the same size because of the process.  I start with a chunk of Castello about 2" thick (actual) and long enough for the longest beam, then slice off 2" (actual) wide blanks and finish each at a thickness equal to the sidings of the beams - for YA main deck 12", 17" and 15" depending on location.  Each blank is then clamped in a template/fixture and one edge faced off on a router table to the round up - i.e. 6" in this case - to produce the rounded top of beam.  The depth of the beam is marked out from this upper curve, the beam is parted off on a scroll saw and then finished to final depth by passing (upside down) through the thickness sander.  This produces a finished beam except for length.  All this is  repeated until the blank is used up.  I used this process on Naiad and described it fully in Vol 2, including alternate methods for those without a router table.  I believe there is a picture of the template/clamp in an earlier post.  The method is fast and almost fool proof. 

Part 2: The beams in the picture are way too long because rather than cut another (smaller) chunk of 2 x 8 Castelo, I decided to to use a piece already cut, but somewhat longer than needed.  A few of the beams shown will actually serve for two smaller beams and some for half-beams - but there is still waste.  You can't do a lot with these curved cutoffs.

Cheers,

Ed

Part 91 – Main Deck Framing 2

The first picture shows the most time consuming step in framing the deck – fitting the hanging knees under the beams.  I have been doing a lot of this lately.

post-570-0-28334900-1414352750_thumb.jpg

After fitting the knee its bolts are installed at the workbench, it is sanded smooth and then glued in place.  Later it will be further secured with two functional copper wire bolts – one down through the beam and another through the frames.

The next picture shows a few more beams installed with their carlings.

post-570-0-35250000-1414352751_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows the aftermost beam on the main deck – at frame 36. 

post-570-0-92330400-1414352751_thumb.jpg

There will be a few steps down to the cabin deck and a few steps up to the poop at this location.  A transverse bulkhead will be installed from the main deck to the poop deck.  The cabin deck will also be closed off from the hold with internal partitions.

The next picture shows some other work being done as the beams are installed.  Chocks with circular holes have been installed just aft of the fore hatch.  The anchor chain tubes will fit into these holes and extend from the main deck into the chain storage area in the hold.

post-570-0-84710100-1414352752_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows more main deck beams fitted and some additional details installed.

post-570-0-57504400-1414352753_thumb.jpg

The two bored chocks at the main deck have now been installed – also the topsail sheet bits.

Finally in the next picture - aft of the main hatch - framed, bored openings for the two bilge pump suction pipes have been made and installed.  These pipes will extend down to the outer planking in the limber channel just aft of the main mast step.

post-570-0-21378400-1414352754_thumb.jpg

The plank strakes outside of these openings are for the pillars under the main deck.

Ed

Beautiful.

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."