Roman Quinquereme and Claw by Glen McGuire - FINISHED - 1/500 - BOTTLE

Very nice work, Glen!  Your models just keep better and better.

Your right, ventilation was critical.  You might say that these Galleys were fueled by oxygen.  Where we lived in Ohio, both the local college and high school had very competitive rowing teams that regularly competed in the large Eastern Regattas.  The college had a machine used to assess the potential of rowing candidates.  It worked by measuring the body’s ability to metabolize oxygen.

Roger 

Edited by Roger Pellett

Brilliant work Glen, fantastic display of perseverance. With my limited bottle experience I can already imagine what you went through. 

And this build went really fast, you overtook my build in no time and with such great results. I also love the way she fills the bottle, not too large, not too little. :cheers:

6 hours ago, Javelin said:

I also love the way she fills the bottle, not too large, not too little.

Thanks, Javelin.  Although looking at it now, I think the ship would look better if it was pushed back in the bottle a quarter inch or so.  But then again, with the way the water was angled in the bottle, that quarter inch would have lowered the ceiling of the bottle's inside and made it harder to get the mast inserted into the hull.  Regardless, I'm glad to be done with the ship!  The only thing left is to add some texture to the water along with a few whitecaps.  Then it's time to put on my Archimedes hat and start building the claw!  That should be fun.

10 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

The only thing left is to add some texture to the water along with a few whitecaps.  Then it's time to put on my Archimedes hat and start building the claw!

Glen, don't forget you still have the penguins to do also ;) :) 

Seriously though, that is quite the achievement, she looks great in her glass home, and is a tribute to your patience.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

2 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Glen, don't forget you still have the penguins to do also ;) :) 

Whoa, wait just a minute now.  @Keith Black already awarded me the highly coveted penguin seal of approval, so I think I'm done with them for this build!

Are you fixen  to declare this a Penguin free zone, good luck , lol.    :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Small waves and assorted whitecaps added to the epoxy resin.  For the waves I use acrylic medium gloss gel.  It has the perfect consistency to swirl around and make random waves and ripples.  It's white when applied but quickly dries clear.  To apply it around the ship, I dab a blob using a long prong made from a coat hanger (circled below).  It works well except when I get careless and swipe it against the glass (see arrow below).

Also, during application, it looks like I've made the sea a frothing, white-capped, overdone mess.  But in the last 2 pics, you can see how the winds calm as the gel dries and the effect is much better.      

20230814_103749(3).thumb.jpg.6f311248e827587b6d407f4704b62fa8.jpg

To apply whitecaps, I use a shredded brush affixed to a dowel at a sharp angle.  It takes just a few tiny dots of acrylic paint at a time.

20230818_082909.thumb.jpg.af8bb344f18ae0bb5994488095cef0f6.jpg

20230818_075752.thumb.jpg.fa3a9e66afc7c5740da3d6329a120465.jpg

Completed water effects below.  The thing I really like about the gloss gel is how the light shines off the edges of it (in the picture above, you can see a bit of the glint).  In the picture below, it's hard to tell the whitecaps from the natural shining of the light, but it's distinct when looking at in person and a reasonable look. 

20230818_082944.thumb.jpg.deba838b2f7e76582cb641da6393a961.jpg

And with that, the SIB portion of this build is complete and it's time for the claw!  Every time I think of the claw, instead of Archimedes, I keep thinking of the movie Toy Story where Buzz Lightyear is trapped in the arcade game with all the little aliens who think the claw is a deity.  They whisper "the Claw" in such reverenced tones.  And then when one gets snatched, he says, "I have been chosen...farewell my friends...I go to a better place".   😄

Screenshot2023-08-18091422.jpg.711f787266922b9a20bb3bdea91f11fc.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

6 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Very nice, Mr Glen, very nice. 

Yup, wot ‘e said!

For some reason, the old line from Get Smart comes to mind... "Not the craw.  The craw!"   The boat itself is some seriously fantastic work.   I'm looking forward to the rest....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 8/18/2023 at 5:32 PM, mtaylor said:

"Not the craw.  The craw!" 

OK, Mark.  I do remember Get Smart (mainly the closing scene every show where the automatic doors would close on his nose), but not that line so I had to look it up.  That whole exchange was hilarious from the start:  "I suppose you can guess what they call me."....."Lefty?"  😄

Back to the build.  I've been chasing my tail for the last few days trying to figure out what to do next - the claw, the landscaping, the seawall rocks, the water, the penguins, etc.  I finally decided I needed to get the main elements of the base configured and then start on the claw.  So I did a little mockup to figure out the components and get a visual of whether or not I was on the right track.

20230821_152840.thumb.jpg.7a6a93a616659156834e131fea09beaf.jpg

I thought it looked ok, so I began work on the real thing.  I made a small wooden base for the sea wall to rest on and give it some elevation above the water level.  Then I drilled alignment holes in the bottom of the wall, small base, and larger base and inserted dowels into the bottom of the wall.  The dowels should give the wall additional stability.  I also carved out a hole in the small base for the main vertical post of the claw.

20230821_151902.thumb.jpg.55b03ec746f4bebd4ab7e04bcefe388f.jpg

Here's the initial assembly.

20230821_152100.thumb.jpg.90837a02744c6aedd505e7364c7cdfb0.jpg

Next, I'll continue with the claw's construction.  There are a lot of simplified illustrations out there of what the claw might have looked like.  I found a video animation of a working claw that is more detailed so I'm going to try and mirror it to a large degree (although mine will definitely not have the release mechanism).  Here's the video if you want to take a quick look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1YrueoGlbE

Edited by Glen McGuire

As Keith has hinted, I think you made an editing error Glen - the penguin text was crossed out ;)   " Oh no, not the penguins, not the penguins!" :) 

Seriously though, that wall is coming along really nicely, are you going to do any weather and/or scum line etc?

cheers

Pat

9 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Seriously though, that wall is coming along really nicely, are you going to do any weather and/or scum line etc?

Thanks, Pat.  And yes, I plan on some a scum line or something at the base of the wall similar to the one on the left side of this pic.  Although I haven't figured out the right color yet.  The scum looks like a really dark green to me in this pic but in others look more of a charcoal gray or even black.  

Screenshot2023-08-22064757.jpg.942b4dcbfe3fa144955b2f352e805c1c.jpg

The craw or claw is coming to life.  The first pic below is a still shot from the video mentioned earlier and is basically what I tried to recreate for the claw's base.  My version is not an exact replica but fairly close.

Picture18.jpg.6959fadce9a54517f720d17088eb09dc.jpg

Here are the piece parts made from basswood scraps.  I scored the wood to age it a bit similar to what @gjdale did with his Shipyard at Foss' Landing project.  The workforce also showed up looking for some green grass since there's none left anywhere around central Texas.  

20230823_190331.thumb.jpg.4c9247fccfced7a19843b8cbe5f0e8c2.jpg

Here's the assembled base.

20230825_082859.thumb.jpg.4e6a22cfe26661863729cc343f8220ef.jpg

20230825_082927.thumb.jpg.81259c9e0a0a413043ef9ac13ecf7b63.jpg

Next was making a cap/fulcrum for the top of the main pole.  The first pic, once again, shows the goal.  To replicate, I cut and shaped a couple of brass brads and then silver-soldered them together. 

Picture19.jpg.baffd7444abe900788119073630489e2.jpg  

20230825_064615.thumb.jpg.5c96ac05b47d304198c7a7a774608a6c.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

Here’s where the whole base is at right now.  I added a thin layer of modeling clay to the land behind the wall and will add some grass and a gravel cow path on top of it.  

The 3 small rods are a design change I made to the claw (with apologies to Archimedes).  I decided the claw needed the ability to swivel right and left to some degree.  Otherwise, you are just counting on the Roman quinqueremes to run straight into the claw’s hook.  With a stationary claw, it seems like the Romans would be able to steer away from the hook pretty easily.  So my claw uses a capstan concept to add lateral range to the claw.  The 3 small rods fit into the main pole and are used rotate the pole and swing the claw’s hook back and forth as necessary to snag the incoming quinquereme.    

20230825_083159.jpg

20230825_083227 (2).jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

Coming along nicely, Glen. Better get ox #1, up on the parapet wall, in the game or the Sicilians/Syracusans are going to be roasting beef for dinner. 😁

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Looking good Glen. The texture you added to the timber parts is very convincing. Love the cows - from their colouring, it looks like they may be distant cousins of your penguin colony…….

23 minutes ago, Canute said:

Better get ox #1, up on the parapet wall, in the game or the Sicilians/Syracusans are going to be roasting beef for dinner. 😁

He's trying to convince me he's a better lookout than beast of burden.  You have a good point though, so I will pass your warning on to him and see if he changes his mind!

21 minutes ago, gjdale said:

Love the cows - from their colouring, it looks like they may be distant cousins of your penguin colony…….

OMG!!  That never crossed my mind but I think you are right!!  So to ensure there is no confusion, the cows will be undergoing a breed-change procedure soon to transition from holstein to longhorn.

Looks great Glen, but you have me intrigued.  How in the world will you get those larger pieces (such as the wall) into the bottle?

cheers

Pat

Buddy, that's some fantastic work right there. I'm duly impressed. 

15 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Looks great Glen, but you have me intrigued.  How in the world will you get those larger pieces (such as the wall) into the bottle?

cheers

Pat

Post # 3 of this log show the hook and original Texas  cattle are visible,  lol.

Great work my friend.  Are you fixin to use black and white longhorns, no reson just wondering  lol. :cheers:

Edited by Knocklouder

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

11 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

Great work my friend.  Are you fixin to use black and white longhorns, no reson just wondering  lol. 

Thanks, Bob!  As far as the color of the longhorns, I'll try to make one burnt orange and white like Dimples in the first pic below.  I may try to make the other longhorn black and white like Sweet Eileen in the second pic below.  Actually, she's a really dark brown when you get up close, but most people look at her and think she's black. 

I'm working on the horns first though.  Then I'll work on the paint job.

20230319_102609(3).jpg.84175de35a6424e6727b415fe18e7592.jpg

20230319_102609(2).jpg.a2727b170bce08260d8c02df79b1b89a.jpg

14 hours ago, Boccherini said:

looks like Sweet Eileen dyes her hair, or possibly sports a wig/hair piece.

That is funny, Grant!  Here's a better picture that shows her true colors.  Her hide is kind of like a metallic paint job on a car.  Get her out in the bright sun and the colors really come to life.  She's a bit unique as you don't see too many Texas longhorns with her color scheme.

20230827_113520.thumb.jpg.3f4fddea4033af6a17f347c72a99cc81.jpg

My little cows sprouted horns very quickly.  Then I did some paint mixing and swirling trying to get coloring that resembled their real life inspirations above.  

20230827_170220.thumb.jpg.bf7313c4b2bbfa1fe716bc68d6294512.jpg

20230828_101844.thumb.jpg.a023e5d52760d805b5c5dcb341404f44.jpg

Now, back to the base.  For the grounds inside the wall, I wanted green grass bisected by a gravel path for the cows.  This was my first try at landscaping in a model, so there was definitely some trial and error. 

For the grass, I went to the model railroad aisle at Hobby Lobby and got a small package of coarse ground green grass.  Mistake.  I should have gotten the fine ground as the coarse was too large for my scale.  So I ended up sifting the grass thru a screen to capture the smaller particles.  That worked ok.  For the gravel path, I used leftover sand (actually aquatic substrate for aquariums) from my Adventure Galley build.  I mixed in a little leftover reddish-brown dust from the sea wall construction for a bit of color variation.

The application process I settled on was: 1) spread a thin layer of white glue on the clay surface, 2) sprinkle the grass/sand liberally on top of the glue, 3) gently pat everything down with fingers, 4) blow off excess, 5) using a small syringe, drop a thin layer of diluted white glue over the top of everything and let it soak in.  

After drying, everything was nice and tight, no flaking or particles coming off.  I think it came out looking ok.

20230828_124926(2).thumb.jpg.b294c92532f34083fe06e6938434d928.jpg

Next, I secured the "land" portion onto the main base and added the sea wall.

20230828_130548.thumb.jpg.39b89920d02f46233e964bce5aba10cd.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

That is so amazing, you can even make cows look pretty LOL.  You do such impressive work my friend, this will be even more impressive than your last impressive SIB, power on my friend.   :cheers:     🐄