HMS Sphinx 1775 by mugje - Vanguard Models - 1:64

2 hours ago, Theodosius said:

I'm a little bit jealous about your craft you show at the back of your model! So smoth curves! I like! 

Thank Theodosius. :) I found those curves in my previous planking experiences one of the most difficult parts to get right, so this time I spended  a lot of time to understand what happens there under her booty, instead of just doing something and hoping for the best :P  

2 hours ago, AJohnson said:

That's some of the neatest first-layer planing I've seen in a kit build! :imNotWorthy:

Thanks AJohnson...it looks neater than it was ;)   when I see a crack or seam, I fill it immediately with some glue and sawdust, so it looks maybe real good, but there were here and there some seams. And that's okay ofcourse...good practice this first layer :) 

• 5 weeks later...

Okay people...not an update but some questions...still working on the first layer of planking (lot's of experimenting :P )

I have a hard time picturing if the corner and angle of the sternpiece is right. And couldn't find a clear example in the other logs that could help me visualize it. Maybe a bit difficult to explain, let's see if I can make it clear.

I temporary placed the rudder post with his pattern so I can see where the second layer of planking would end. And when you look at my pictures...there is quite a gap between first layer of planking and the rudder post pattern. Much larger then the 0.8 mm thickness of the pear planking 😄. So if I would lay the second layer of pear on top of the first, there would remain quite a gap to cover. I thought...i'm going to adress it now, maybe there needs some changes in the stern piece and now it's not all covered in planks.

Maybe there is to much roundness in the stern filler piece?

IMG_20231103_152348333.thumb.jpg.93555f1d911a8fa3f1dbf44ed298d67c.jpg

Also...do you guys think the part with the yellow circle in the picture below is faired enough? And not to round? I thought...maybe it needs to be a bit straighter to get a smoother transition to the MDF keel.

IMG_20231104_113400628.thumb.jpg.62b5004ef9abd163e6858409d5932f90.jpg

I had a look back on my log  and looking at the photos I took there doesn't seem to be that much difference at that stage.

If you look at the manual p33  you can see the first planking finishes around the same point, and even shorter lower down. (deliberately)

Remember this has to be  fined down sufficiently to allow the second planking to fit the stern post.

Carry on Mugje, you're doing a fine job.

B.E.

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

Don't usually see that much of a gap.

I would just cut a 'shim' of pear and glue it to the stern post, to bring it in a little more.

You mean...sort of widen the lasered pattern that goes on top the stern post? Or kind of a ramp where the second layer can lay on top of. (sorry for the bad English :D )

1 hour ago, Blue Ensign said:

I had a look back on my log  and looking at the photos I took there doesn't seem to be that much difference at that stage.

If you look at the manual p33  you can see the first planking finishes around the same point, and even shorter lower down. (deliberately)

Remember this has to be  fined down sufficiently to allow the second planking to fit the stern post.

Carry on Mugje, you're doing a fine job.

B.E.

Yeah I saw it too in more build logs that it isn't really that much different, but in almost no build logs it wasn't really visible how the second layer ends there you would almost think that there would be space underneath the pear plank that connects to the rudder post pattern.

I will look further into it :D 

Edited by mugje

6 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Yes :)

Thanks...I thought of that too...it would look the cleanest I think :)  maybe even remove a millimeter of the stern post itself...that wouldn't influence too much with the rudder etc I think...will look into that

Edited by mugje

• 3 weeks later...

Little update...i'm just 6 planks and a garboard strake away of finishing the first layer of planking. Going not so very fast, but enjoying the process.

Halfway planking the hull I realized I wasn't happy with the shape of the bow and stern. I sanded them a bit to conservative and this resulted in not a real nice flow in the planking. So made the decision to brake away the planking at the places where I thought it didn't look right. So this was a bit of extra planking fun :), I learned some extra bending techniques along the way, so it was helpful also. I also realized that with lining off the hull using tape that I didn't took enough time to really check the run of the tape (because the tape didn't stick well). This resulted in a bit of a waviness pattern across the hull. Therefore I did the process of lining off again, but this time with wooden battens. For me this works better because of the stiffness of the planks...you won't have to check every bulkhead if the plank waves up or down the hull. So that was also a valuable lesson for me. 

So first broke the planks away for reworking the bow and stern:

IMG_20231010_152348168.thumb.jpg.c1e499e08d04c955748fbef6a5d6d777.jpg

IMG_20231106_103801540.thumb.jpg.686d6a5c709dbb0b28c2a9c5a5533021.jpg

After that I used wooden battens for lining off the hull:

IMG_20231020_115836136.thumb.jpg.a1f02bd3f3c22244a7b7f102943e3532.jpg

And now almost closed! 🎊

IMG_20231121_162205724.thumb.jpg.d3a723cd9e1579cf1e1e98e4905e4e24.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally closed! :)  Took a bit longer then expected because I was quite sick last week with a flu and fever, but feeling good now so I could do the last planks.

I used some 1mm pear that I had lying around, because I had run out of the lime wood. Not because Chris didn't supply enough, but because I redid such large areas.

This gave me the change to get a bit familiar with pear wood and how it behaves, so maybe that gives me a bit of an advantage for the final layer.

I couldn't get the first layer exactly as I wanted, without mistakes and knowing exactly what I did, but I have learned a lot!

So hoping that I learned enough to get a decent second layer that I could be happy about and leave it unpainted. Otherwise there is always the option to paint 

it white if it's not too great :) 

Now first some sanding and filling here and there to get a nice smooth base for the second layer.

IMG_20231210_152045221_HDR.thumb.jpg.90299fa052b588a6fa95a8b41717533f.jpg

Edited by mugje

Nicely done, and so many good lessons learned along the way. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 3 weeks later...

Last update this year I suppose :) 

The hull is now sanded smooth and the little cracks/deeper lying planks etc. are filled. Ready for the next step I guess.

I will test fit the prow/keel and sternpost patterns to see if it fits right, and maybe there are spots that need a little extra sanding (places around the tabs that are connected to the prow and keel). Also need to test fit the lower counter ofcourse. I think I also need to check if the upper hull side patterns are flush with the gunports inside. I haven't done that yet, but also didn't see it mentioned in the manual. Would be a good moment for that.

IMG_20231229_120216085.thumb.jpg.ae5e95957e08f280446379c5d3b68cc4.jpg

IMG_20231229_120156267.thumb.jpg.cbd16a33aa9c4ac8fc3ab2c9f47d743e.jpg

Seems ready for second planking to me, well done!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose