Light hearted reading ( if there is such a thing!)

As I have a few holidays due in the next 12 months or so and as I will also spend some time travelling some distance by coach and ship . I thought it would be nice to read something other than ships construction. I am looking for something 18th century to early 1800s and  I have just bought a couple of books on Trafalger, to give you an idea. Any biography would also be suitable or even fiction set in those days would be really good. As my luggage allowance will be limited  Kindle books would be best and usually cheaper too,) however paper back would be ok but I think hard back would probably not be suitable.Any recomendations would be appreciated. Best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

38 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

The Patrick O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin (Master & Commander) series, at twenty books on a Kindle sounds just the ticket to me! 😉

One of my favourite series of Fiction books.

Thank you Andrew, you are always the first to reply. Sounds just what I need .I also enjoyed the movie with Russel crowd. If it is the same thing.

26 minutes ago, DaveBaxt said:

Thank you Andrew, you are always the first to reply. Sounds just what I need .I also enjoyed the movie with Russel crowd. If it is the same thing.

Yes the Russell Crowe film "Master & Commander" is indeed based on the books, actually an amalgamation of the plot from about four of them mashed together.  If you get to read the books you will be able to pick out the scenes and characters from the film.

This series of books is why I am so keen on @chris watton / Vanguard models one day doing a HMS Surprise, I have given up on waiting for the Caldercraft one.

I don,t think Caldercraft have done anything for a while Andrew but could be wrong. I think I might be moving away frm |Caldercraft in the future due to how much I have spent extra on boxwood and also on rigging and replacing the cannon and the boats. I have probably doubled what I spent on the initial kit . Propably cheaper going with Vanguard, as I have used a lot of there parts anyways.

I have been following your Diana log and others and it does seem many builders have to deviate from the kit a fair bit in terms of instructions and replacement materials.  Funny over the years I had thought that Diana or even Agamemnon would be a grand project one day, but seeing how builders have wrestled with their Diana's and how good VM are in comparison I think I shall wait for Surprise and maybe see if Chris gets to develop any of his other Frigates he has mentioned recently.

The Alan Lewrie series by the late Dewey Lambdin is fun, light reading with good naval battles thrown in. Not nearly as realistic as Patrick O'Brian but very enjoyable. If weight is an issue, I'd recommend checking out the Internet Archive, a free online library with loads of books, though I believe you must have an Internet connection to read, as they work as a regular library, with only one person allowed to check out a copy at a time.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Julian Stockwin's series about Thomas Kidd,  26 books to 2023,  I enjoyed these as much as the Dewey Lambdin series.  Both are up there with O'Brien IMHO

Thomas Paine Kydd, a young wig-maker from Guildford, is seized by a press gang in book one and climbs the ladder from there.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

3 hours ago, AJohnson said:

I have been following your Diana log and others and it does seem many builders have to deviate from the kit a fair bit in terms of instructions and replacement materials.  Funny over the years I had thought that Diana or even Agamemnon would be a grand project one day, but seeing how builders have wrestled with their Diana's and how good VM are in comparison I think I shall wait for Surprise and maybe see if Chris gets to develop any of his other Frigates he has mentioned recently.

If i am honest, I am torn, I do like a challenge but sometimes find the Diana a step to far and quite stressfull at times. I have also had my eye on the Agamemnon and wonder if this has similar issues and again would be problematic . I have also built up quite a large stock of both walnut and lime and I could probably have enough wood to build a ship from scratch but fear that is probably beyond my skill level. So it would be a shame not to use all the spare stock I now have if I now changed tack. I only started building the Diana as I have recently become the owner of the AOTS book and wanted to build this as acurately as possible from a kit. I am also running out of space and wonder were I am going to put these larger models and then I see the smaller ones produced by Vanguard  and build by the likes of your good self and Delf and these are by far the most beautiful models.

Thanks again Andrew for your input it is always appreciated

2 hours ago, Stevinne said:

The Alan Lewrie series by the late Dewey Lambdin is fun, light reading with good naval battles thrown in. Not nearly as realistic as Patrick O'Brian but very enjoyable. If weight is an issue, I'd recommend checking out the Internet Archive, a free online library with loads of books, though I believe you must have an Internet connection to read, as they work as a regular library, with only one person allowed to check out a copy at a time.

Thank you for you input Stevinne and an interesting idea. I do have internet access but fear its not free, however it would work if I I could down load the book in one go rather than have to be connected whilst I am reading as I might not always be connected. Perhaps an idea whilst I am at home if not. Best regards Dave.

12 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Julian Stockwin's series about Thomas Kidd,  26 books to 2023,  I enjoyed these as much as the Dewey Lambdin series.  Both are up there with O'Brien IMHO

Thomas Paine Kydd, a young wig-maker from Guildford, is seized by a press gang in book one and climbs the ladder from there.

Allan

Thanks for this Allan, not heard of these, I will have to give them a go.

I concur with all the book series mentioned here. I have read them all and am re-reading the O'Brian books since they were my favorites.

For pure escapist fare

Richard Bolitho (28 book series)
Kindle Edition
by Alexander Kent (Author)

One plus with digital,  all of the old pulp books and magazines are probably obtainable and not lost to time.

It was before my time, but I see this as the material that was filling the space in the 30s and 40s later occupied by mindless TV series. 

There was aspect from back then, that I heard and enjoyed at their end: radio teleplays.  There is a WHOLE lot on content on TV that would be better on radio.  We could even do model ship building while occupying our ears with the stuff. 

You could also investigate audio books. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Mad For Glory, A Heart of Darkness in the War of 1812, by Robert Booth.

The fascinating true story of a US Naval Captain, Captain David Porter, who went rogue with his warship, USS Essex and  terrorized the Pacific Ocean. The longest, strangest naval adventure in American History.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

The Black Ship by Dudley Pope is a great read about the mutiny of the Hermione in 1797 and the fate of the mutineers.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

I sadly only have mostly non-fiction.  However, "The Billy Ruffian - The Belleophon and the Fall of Napoleon" is darn good even if it is non-fiction.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Try David Grann's newest book "The Wager"- an amazing story about the HMS Wager. Grann's research is impressive and his writing style is accessible. This led me to read his earlier books all of which are equally compelling.

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Anything by Herman Melville

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

If you are looking at taking a Kindle, then the Delphi Complete Works Collections are great.

The one for Melville is $1.99 on Amazon.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

How about  "A Port Wine Sea", by Susan Wenger, a parody of the Patrick O'Brien novels. (Assuming that you read the latter.)

From Amazon:

"The Port-Wine Sea is a rousing parody of the best historical fiction ever written. It is a story about a British naval captain during the Napoleonic War, and his friend, a naval physician/espionage agent. They set sail once again aboard "H.M.S. Aghast" during the War of 1812 to demonstrate to the upstart Colonies the errors of their ways. The doctor/spy tries to establish liaison with the Creek Indians to create a diversion to the main British assault. Meanwhile the noble Captain is diverted by a teenaged Maryland vixen. Along the way, they encounter a skittish horse, a demure skunk, a whooping crane, and an escaped colony of termites aboard the ship."

https://www.amazon.com/Port-Wine-Sea-Parody-Susan-Wenger/dp/1893162001/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3I5WGC02MQKQS&keywords=a+port+wine+sea&qid=1692539646&sprefix=a+port+wine+sea%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-1

Only 1 left in stock - order soon!

• 5 weeks later...

I found an interesting site online earlier dedicated to historic naval fiction here which looks interesting. I don't think it has been updated for a while but it may introduce you to some new authors or series of books.

Edited by jpalmer1970

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

I just finished this series.  Most excellent read!

Hornblower's legacy books by James Keffer

1 Hornblower and the Island (2014)
    2 Brewer's Luck (2015)
    3 Brewer and the Barbary Pirates (2019)
    4 Brewer's Revenge (2017)
    5 Brewer and the Portuguese Gold (2020)
    6 Brewer and the Black Rose (2022)
    7 Hornblower and the Journey Home (2021)