Noticed on OcCre's website that their home page has a "Save the Date - 10/21/2023 - Limited and Numbered Edition" announcement.  

Hmmm... Anyone have any inside info... or wild guesses... on what it might be?!?  Curiosity killed the cat... 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Duhhh, never thought about looking that date up in naval history!  <doh>  Thanks, Keith! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I missed where they referenced 1765 as a clue... We shall find out soon! 

Gregg

24 minutes ago, James H said:

Pretty sure I know what it is, and Micro-Mark accidentally posted it on their website by accident, presumably during the announce embargo.

The page link now points to 'page not found'. I have the correct link, so I know it existed.

It’s still out there on Google, but as you say the link doesn’t work.  

Admiralty style from the look of it, fashioned from Oak - not your typical model building wood!

Gary

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

21 October - Trafalgar Day, and who was launched in 1765 - Victory!

Yeah, I think that pretty much nails it. 

There are a number of images still out there (erroneous courtesy of Micro-Mark), she is the usual OcCre wood pallet, but the model seems naive in part, and accuracy seems to be of passing concern.  It could be these are not of the completed model, we’ll have to wait and see, but the missing Poop deck is significant.  The open framing is interesting, although again seems underdone for a supposed price of circa US$1,700!

It seems the Middle Deck, as well as the Upper and Weather decks (or at least those included so far) is somewhat detailed. Detail for the Lower Deck isn’t discernible, but there is a nascent Orlop. I’m tending toward these being interim construction photos, those yardless masts hint at that.  We’ll have to wait and see.  

Gary

IMG_1828.jpeg

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1826.jpeg

IMG_1825.jpeg

IMG_1824.jpeg

Edited by Morgan

Thanks for the advanced analysis and insight, Gary. 

Gregg

46 minutes ago, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

Model Expo just dropped the ad for this on sale for $1200.

Got the email just now from Model Expo, as well...  Kinda ruins OcCre's unveiling, huh?  <shrug> 

Gregg

Just watched the release video feed live, very much a high level production. Not much in terms of constructional photos of the guts of the model, but looks to have each deck rigged with cannon, but nothing to see as yet beyond that.  It seems like a nice attempt to produce something in the Admiralty style, but rigged! 

I’m torn as to my views of it, I like the concept but for the time and money they have invested it falls short on accuracy, for example in producing the frames why not get the scantlings to scale and properly detailed if the details are laser etched.  It also has elements that are of a standard in keeping with a decorative model.

More details still required, so the jury remains out on this one for me.

Gary

As a relatively new amateur, the video presentation is amazing, very impressive, in my humble opinion.  I will leave the greater analysis to those that are historians of the Royal Navy and the Battle of Trafalgar.  Looking forward to reading more details from fellow hobbyists as you dive into this massive project.  Best wishes! Fair winds and following seas! 

Gregg

11 minutes ago, Cold_Fire said:

Am I the only one that thinks this is a very expensive toy, nothing more and nothing less?

Any resemblance of a correctly scaled and accurate model must be a coincidence.

It is a mish-mash of styles for sure, and clunky!  Certainly not sure about Oak as the ribs and frame, not easy to work or detail at that size so won’t lend itself to modification.  Also, that lattice frame approach to all the decks could easily have been substituted for a proper set of deck frames as they are all laser cut. A lot of authenticity lost for more than over simplifying the design.

Also at 1:87 that is a really odd scale, OcCre don’t seem to have settled on a uniform scale.

Gary

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It is a mish-mash of styles for sure, and clunky!  Certainly not sure about Oak as the ribs and frame, not easy to work or detail at that size so won’t lend itself to modification.  Also, that lattice frame approach to all the decks could easily have been substituted for a proper set of deck frames as they are all laser cut. A lot of authenticity lost for more than over simplifying the design.

Also at 1:87 that is a really odd scale, OcCre don’t seem to have settled on a uniform scale.

Gary

Check this video:

https://cdn.shopify.com/videos/c/o/v/13c5bd39e4ec40d69cc81e76b89887f1.mp4

I don't know if beams are just strips or lasercut, but I see flat decks. The model just doesn't make any sense.

Interesting, no camber anywhere. The release video shows the parts are laser cut, so why not put that extra detail in?

All for a regular price of USD $1,700 / €1,400.  The price and detail run contrary to where the leading manufacturers are.

It seems a matter of style over substance.  Maybe we are missing the point and the target market isn’t the discerning modeller.

Gary

Edited by Morgan

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Interesting, no camber anywhere. The release video shows the parts are laser cut, so why not put that extra detail in?

All for a regular price of USD $1,700 / €1,400.  The price and detail run contrary to where the leading manufacturers are.

It seems a matter of style over substance.  Maybe we are missing the point and the target market isn’t the discerning modeller.

Gary

I'm watching this and my comments come from a modeler perspective.

If you think it as a product, I don't doubt it will probably have success.

1 hour ago, JeffT said:

I love the concept but the price is a bit scary. You could get it for a lot less from model expo right now though.

$1,200 if you're one of the first 25 to order... <shrug>

I'm back to thinking about adding one of the USS Constitution kits/plans to my shipyard... <2nd shrug> 

Gregg

Why did they use a model railroad scale of 1:87? Run a train line onto the pier where the ship is moored?😕

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild