CPR/DAR D10 #999 by realworkingsailor - Rapido Trains - 1/87 - Finished

For those who missed it, I recently picked up three 1/87th scale CPR D-10 4-6-0 steam locomotives, recently released by Rapido Trains. All three come equipped with DCC and Sound. If you haven't "played with trains" in a while, you'd be astounded at the technological leaps the hobby has taken! These are absolute jewels of models, the level of detail is almost unsurpassed (I have noted a few small errors, but nothing that detracts from the overall appearance of the models). In my case I received 2 locos that came factory lettered for Canadian Pacific subsidiary Dominion Atlantic, as well as one unlettered version, which will also be lettered up for the DAR. 

IMG_2627.thumb.jpeg.db98e3bf028e5ab8fc75010cff257760.jpeg

My third D-10 would also require some detail changes to more accurately reflect on my chosen prototype. Thankfully, Rapido has included a small bag of extra parts, so scratch building, or otherwise sourcing replacement fittings has been thus far kept to a minimum. My chosen prototype is D10h #999. This locomotive served on the DAR from the late 1930s until the mid 1950s, when it was transferred to Ontario, until the end of the steam era. As luck would have it, #999 was donated to the Canadian Railway Museum (Exporail) in Delson, Quebec (just outside of Montreal), where it remains to this day. This makes #999 the only DAR steam locomotive to have been preserved.

Much information about the DAR and its locomotives, rolling stock, structures and history can be found at the Dominion Atlantic Railway Digital Preservation Initiative. The website includes numerous prototype photos of many subjects, including many of #999 throughout its service life:

Mailman999.jpg

Dar999.jpg

I was able to make most of the desired changes to my model based of the above and other photographs sourced from the DAR DPI.

The first step in my conversion required careful disassembly of the model. Extreme care is needed, there are numerous small, fragile, detail parts, as well as the strong admonishment to follow the instructions included in the manual! After a lot of cursing, and only one or two damaged parts, I managed to get the locomotive broken down into its major sub assemblies:

IMG_2641.thumb.jpeg.73ae789b498af3ba6df1ce02a722b0c6.jpeg

This was necessary in order to access the steam pipes coming from the cylinders, and make modifications to the running boards. I would rather not have had to disassemble the locomotive, but things are as they are. As stated, the first change to be made was to the steam pipes. These are exhaust pipes and they came in two main types on the prototype D-10s. One version had the pipes angled, meeting the smoke box directly, the other had them coming vertically from the cylinder chest before curving in to the smokebox. The model came with the former, so the pipes had to be changed.

IMG_2646.thumb.jpeg.33ebc1fd7e930e90ec66d7ab753c0e48.jpeg

You can see the difference in the pipes in the above photo, the (supplied) replacements are on the right. The changing of the steam pipes, necessitated a change in the running boards to ones that had notches cut in them to clear the pipes. The left side running board was easily replaced with a supplied part, it only required the shifting over of some detail parts from the "as delivered" part to the supplied replacement. The right side running board required a little work. The supplied replacement had a raised step, found on some D-10s, that carried the walkway over a power reverse mechanism. On my prototype, there was no power reverse, it likely had only a hand operated "Johnson" bar, and therefore a straight running board. This meant I didn't need to remove the details, but I did need to create the notch for the steam pipes.

IMG_2642.thumb.jpeg.4cdfe6c34edd4d1d77885cc8f90a3697.jpeg

You can see in the above photo, the replacement supplied with the model and my modification. For weight, as many of the model's parts as possible were die cast. I have messed around with other model manufacturers, so I have some experience in the area. It should be noted that different model makers use different alloys. Some are very hard, and some are quite soft. Rapido's alloys are quite hard, so power tools are needed! Some careful Dremel work, but in relatively short order, the running board was modified to fit.

The next small modification was found under the cab. For most of her career on the DAR, #999 had a large valance that curved down from the running board flange to the back plate. The model had only a thin flange on the backplate. This was common to most D-10s late in their careers, so I can understand the choice to only make this version for the sake of mass production.

IMG_2648.thumb.jpeg.6bbb7414436fdbe84c577715a747ad74.jpeg

I made my valances out of 0.020" styrene sheet that I had on hand, as it closely matched the thickness of the locomotive castings. There is a bit of a visible seam where the plastic and metal meet, but I would rather not mess around with too much sanding and filler near the delicate mechanism. In less than ideal lighting, the seam is hardly visible anyway.

After all the modifications, it was time to reassemble and test the model, as well as repair any damaged detail parts. Thankfully there was only one piece of pipework that suffered from my abuse, but a little CA and the damage was put to right. A test run proved that I hadn't caused any harm to any of the mechanism. Whew, breathing again.

IMG_2650.thumb.jpeg.25747192131a843dc6569ab51ce2f825.jpeg

IMG_2652.thumb.jpeg.0a17ad0aa442cf4fd8d739fe6036e92c.jpeg

The next steps will involve a little more cleaning of the model, as it arrived from the factory rather generously lubricated, and some oil has found its way onto the surface of the model. Not a big deal, I would rather have the mechanism functioning properly than having it come out of the box squeaking like a mouse the first time it was put on the track.

For lettering, I dug deep into my stash and pulled out a set of decals from Black Cat publishing (I was worried I might have to order a set, but I found I still had one left). They are very nice decals to use, I've had a lot of success with them in the past. I also pulled out a set of PE number boards from Andy Mallet at MLW Services.  I got them a long time ago, so despite the presence of a web site, I'm not sure if he's still in business.

IMG_2649.thumb.jpeg.43b05488c8760c02f069ae6382edea08.jpeg

Since I had the paint and glue at hand, I didn't waste too much time getting the number board on:

IMG_2651.thumb.jpeg.c54c6c323288f5e89abc5d8b1dae4757.jpeg

In the past I've used gold coloured decals to replicate the number board, but the opportunity presented itself to use PE instead. To prepare it I simply painted the board black, followed by dry brushing brass paint on the frame and numbers.

The project as it stands now:

IMG_2654.thumb.jpeg.14d778bfa5754cb65298d891464dc9f7.jpeg

My next update should have all the lettering applied, and sealed in, ready for a little bit of weathering. 

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Nicely done, Andy. Yep, Rapido is one of the better model RR manufacturers. I have several cars and all look good, but the passenger cars have some delicate features. Have to be careful on my club's layout. 😉

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the “likes” everyone!

@Canute Rapido have really set the bar high, I remember some of their earliest offerings, while extremely detailed, they suffered from a host of issues. This was in the early oughts (‘03 or ‘04). It really took them the better part of the decade to hit their stride, but leaving their early teething troubles behind, they’ve carved out a sizeable piece of the the market with an almost uninterrupted stream of fantastic models. I’m kinda thankful they’re full swing into developing products for the US market (as well as their core Canadian market), as it has taken a lot of heat off of my wallet trying to keep up!

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

CPR D-10

Before going further with this log, I thought it wise to present a brief history and description of the D-10 class of steam locomotives. The most numerous single class of steam locomotive in Canada, 502 examples of the type were built, that first rolled out in 1905.

To really study steam locomotives, is to also delve into the history of the men who occupied the role of mechanical chief engineer (or whatever particular title the railway bestowed upon the head of locomotive design and development). 

It’s worth taking a brief step backwards to the beginning of the 20th century to briefly look at the dawn of the superheated steam locomotive. Superheating is the process whereby saturated steam is passed through a heat source in order to raise its temperature above that at which the water from whence it came had boiled. This process induces more potential energy into the steam, thus allowing the steam to perform more work for a minimal expenditure of extra fuel. Prior to the development of the superheater, locomotives were either simple saturated steam engines (steam used once in each cylinder before being exhausted), or compounded (stream was used first in a high pressure cylinder, passed into a larger lower pressure cylinder, and then exhausted). Steam formed at the boiling point is known as saturated steam. 

In 1898 the first practical application of a superheater was developed by Wilhelm Schmidt, in Germany. The fuel efficiency increased by approximately 25% in locomotives fitted with Schmidt’s superheater, over their non-superheated equivalent, and also dramatically increased their available power. Later experiments on the CPR showed a fuel efficiency of 11% in favour of superheated equipped engines, over compound locomotives, without, it should be noted, the added mechanical complexity, and cost, required by the compounding system.

These developments were watched very closely by mechanical engineers around the world, but in particular by the mechanical department of the Canadian Pacific Railway. The CPR dispatched one of its mechanical engineers, A.W. Horsey to monitor Schmidt’s progress and learn as much as he could.

Often Canadian railway companies are overlooked, and in many cases have been considered to be un-innovative, quaint, or otherwise unimportant in their contribution to steam locomotive design and development (we never had the large fleets of gigantic articulated locomotives that roamed the US, and most Canadian designs of established types tended to be smaller than their American counterparts). Counter to this perception, the CPR rolled out the first superheated steam locomotive in North America in the summer of 1901 and by 1906 acquired 197 superheated locomotives (at the time there was fewer than 20 other superheated locomotives in the entirety of the remainder of North American railroading). Most of these early locomotives were conversions of existing types, and allowed the CPR to perform side by side comparisons. Subsequently as many locomotives became due for servicing/rebuilding, a superheater was included in the programme.

In February 1904, the CPR appointed a man who was to become one of its most dominant figures in steam locomotive history, Henry Hague Vaughan. He was to be responsible for more new locomotive types than any other mechanical chief employed by the CPR, as well as building fully 45% of the total number of new steam locomotives ever owned by the railway (nearly 1500 locomotives). He was also behind a fleet wide locomotive reclassification and renumbering, a system, it should be noted, is still in effect to this day! Vaughan was single handedly responsible for introducing the 4-6-2, 2-8-2, 4-8-2, and 0-10-0 types to the CPR as well as Canada’s only mainline articulated locomotives, a half-dozen 0-6-6-0 locomotives destined for service in the mountains. Incidentally, the last of these shares with the Pennsylvania railroad the honour of being the first simple articulated locomotives ever put in service. 

Under Vaughan, the CPR produced its first full class of superheated locomotives built new in late 1904, a group of 40 2-8-0s. This was followed up in 1905 with the first ten D10 4-6-0s. 

The D10, although a new design, was based on the earlier D9 (originally class S.T.11), designed by Vaughan’s predecessor Edward Williams. While dimensionally similar, the D10s came from the erecting halls fully equipped with superheaters. The first four subclasses of D10 (a through d) were delivered with Stephenson’s valve gear, the latter subclasses e through k were equipped with Walschaert’s valve gear. The D10 class proved to be one of the most versatile 4-6-0 type locomotives ever built. They would be found in every type of operating service to be found on the CPR. Equally at home working freight or passenger trains, yard or helper service, D10s were found in every corner of the CPR system. It could be said that no other locomotive fulfilled its role as thoroughly as the D10 until the arrival of the first diesel road switchers. It’s also worth noting that in 1912, the Algoma Central Railway ordered five 4-6-0s that were, for all intents and purposes, exact copies of the CPR D10 (imitation and flattery and all that).

D10s were built by all the major builders in Canada, with orders being produced by Montreal Locomotive Works, the Canadian Locomotive Company in Kingston, ON, and by CPR’s own Angus shops. Orders were also built by Alco’s Schenectady works in the US.

Rapido Trains model D10 represents some of the later classes of the type (g, h, k). Built between 1910 and 1913, these D10s featured 21”x28” cylinders and 63” drive wheels. The locomotives had a length over the couplers of 63’ 3”. These locomotives also introduced some visual features that would become hallmarks of CPR stream power; straight valanced running boards (although at this stage more of an extended flange), smaller cab windows compared to their predecessors. Originally equipped with a single stage air pump and a manual reverse lever, many would be upgraded with cross compound (two stage) air pumps and power reversers.

The D10 carried a 200psi boiler pressure and had a firebox grate area of 49 sq ft. They were hand bombers throughout their careers (no mechanical stokers) and they could exert a tractive effort of a little over 33,000 lbs.

The Vaughan era at the CPR has been referred to as the “Periclean Age” of CPR steam power. His innovations and adaptations of contemporary trends firmly launched the CPR motive power into the 20th century. Had Vaughan not left the CPR in 1915 (due to a disagreement in priorities), there is little doubt that the CPR would have been firmly in the forefront of steam locomotive development in the 1920s, era that saw the development of “Super Power” steam locomotives.

Bibliography 

Lavallee, Omer, “Canadian Pacific Steam Locomotives”, Railfare Enterprises Ltd, 1985

Bain, Donald and Leslie, Jack, “Canadian Pacfic’s Mighty No. 8000”, British Railway Modellers of North America, 2004

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I know what you mean Andy about smacking the old wallet. Tangent, Moloco and Scale Trains are Kryptonite or me.😉

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

1 hour ago, Canute said:

I know what you mean Andy about smacking the old wallet. Tangent, Moloco and Scale Trains are Kryptonite or me.😉

At least Tangent and Moloco only produce rolling stock… so far… 

Thankfully Scale Trains are, for now, out of my chosen era…. 😏

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose before things get even more busier with the holiday season crazies, I should, at the very least provide a bit of an update on the status of things as they now stand.

I have been slowly picking away at the lettering, in the grand scheme of things, there really isn't a lot to be applied, but it's not without its challenges.

With any model locomotive, the number is always the part of the lettering that requires the most care. Decal companies usually provide a range of numbers in their lettering sets, but unless you're lucky, the numbers are not found in the order you need them. Black Cat Publishing is no different. Having said that, their Dominon Atlantic steam loco set does include a number set for #999, but the spacing is incorrect, which means I still had to cut out each number individually for application to the locomotive cab side:

IMG_2655.thumb.jpeg.6612a41d76d3b582629824f6c78081ad.jpeg

The standard CPR painting scheme required the locomotive number, when applied to the cab, to be applied in the centre of cab panel (between the front corner and the vertical handrail) located below the window. For a loco with a three digit number, this meant starting with the middle digit, and moving outwards. As I didn't want things shifting, this meant applying one number at a time and waiting for things to set fully before proceeding to the next number, until all were applied.

IMG_2658.thumb.jpeg.d9f9dc9925efc7fcdd709179ba364ec0.jpeg

The Rapido model includes many lighting features, including a lit front number board (prototypically accurate). For the undecorated model, this is left as a white panel. I had to do some serious digging in my stash of decals to find some appropriately sized white numbers printed on a black background. (I had hoped for clear numbers, but this is the next best thing). It's easier to find white numbers on a clear background, as most earlier steam locomotive models (read: brass models) do not include lit number boards, so the numbers would be applied over an inert black painted background. 

IMG_2656.thumb.jpeg.99bd5ccfc64f8bd5e906d860c4705e79.jpeg

One of the things that really piqued my interest in the Dominion Atlantic was the quaint, unique, tender herald applied to many of its steam locomotives. The herald celebrates Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's epic poem.

There are still a few more decals to be applied, but that may have to wait until after Christmas. Thanks to everyone for the "likes" and comments, and my gratitude to those who followed and are following along with this and my other builds this past year. Your support and kind remarks have been a source of endless encouragement and I can't thank you all enough. I wish you all the best through this coming holiday season (however you celebrate).

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Andy.

Ken

Looks real my friend...

Merry Christmas Brother!!!

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks for all the well wishes and "likes"! I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I was the unlucky recipient of the Christmas Cold this year. Started feeling a little off on Christmas morning, and things didn't get any better as the day wore on. So while all you lucky folks were unwrapping your new model kits and fancy tools, I was downing copious amounts of cold medicine and getting really friendly with a rapidly depleting box of Kleenex.  Fortunately things passed relatively quickly and I'm feeling much better now, the residual inflammation and general stuffiness are subsiding as each day passes.

Through it all, I have managed to get the lettering done a little ahead of my anticipated schedule. I even had time to add a little bonus detail too.

IMG_2659.thumb.jpeg.6a43318a3b4d02220ed8de1e18603bc4.jpeg

The Dominion Atlantic was one of the few railways to maintain a roster of named locomotives well into the 20th century. The names were drawn from important figures in Nova Scotia's history (the DAR originated as a regional line in Nova Scotia, running through the picturesque Annapolis Valley, before it was bought by the CPR in 1912) as well as from Longfellow's Poem. The nameplates were cast brass and mounted above the running boards. According to DAR records #999 was assigned the name "Fronsac", and although there is no photographic record of the locomotive ever having been actually equipped with the name board, I couldn't resist. "Fronsac" refers to Nicholas Denys, Sieur de Fronsac a merchant in Acadia in 1632. During the Second World War, most if not all DAR locomotives lost their brass nameplates, for obvious reasons.

Ultimately, I would have really liked to have the nameplate made from PE, alas there are no commercial suppliers for such a specialized detail part, so I had to make my own. I kept it as simple as I could. The plate consists of a strip of 0.125" styrene with a raised surround of 0.020" square styrene strip. I sanded the raised strip down to about 1/2 thickness. The name lettering is from a CPR passenger car "gold leaf" lettering set (the variety of car names gave a wide selection of letters to choose from). I initially wanted to add some "gold leaf" pin striping to the surround, but this proved a little too fiddly to get to look right, so I settled for brass coloured paint.

IMG_2661.thumb.jpeg.cd227127b8adb11da0507398e8fc3c5f.jpeg

The recessed area of the nameplate was painted in CPR tuscan red, but I left the back side flat black. As you can see in the above photo, the front number boards have been completed as well.

IMG_2662.thumb.jpeg.4e463269192988eeab60b863a636fc8d.jpeg

The final little bit of lettering was the locomotive number on the rear of the tender, along with the water capacity. The model also came equipped with footboards on the rear of the tender. This feature is appropriate for locomotives assigned to switching duties, but were not found on locomotives serving in road duties. A few quick slices with my X-acto knife saw the end of these unneeded features.

This pretty much brings this little project to its conclusion. I'm overall happy with my results, and I have to commend Rapido Trains for continuing to offer un-numbered/un-lettered versions of their products, it certainly makes my life easier!

Thanks again to everyone who's followed along, or just stopped by out of curiosity, I hope to see you all for my next project... whatever that may be!

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Very well done, Andy. That name board is the frosting on the cake. 👍:champagne-popping-smiley-emoticAnd Happy New Year.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, those are really cool Andy!  Nice job!  Happy new year to you!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)