P-51D Mustang by CDW - FINISHED - Dragon - 1:32 Scale

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Thanks for sharing that video Andy. I really enjoyed watching it.

Ed has some very interesting videos, his channel is well worth checking out. If you like the technical aspect, Greg’s Planes and Automobiles really dives into the nitty gritty of airplane performance, by the numbers (If you haven’t seen it already). He’s even done a recent set on human factors, why some WW2 planes are better than others from another perspective outside of performance.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Excellent Video Andy...

Proves one thing, absolute speed is relative...

Personally, Test aircraft should not be lumped in with service aircraft, and thankfully he didn't include the whole transonic arguments and the claims made in that genre...

I tend to stick with combat aircraft.... Within the role they played in combat...  Below 5,000ft the Tempest could walk an FW190, The Mustang couldn't do that... (in any configuration) Between 5-20,000ft  they all flew in the same envelope and performed very similar.... Above 20,000ft there are only a few and of those only one saw significant combat.... And the Mustang, the Merlin powered Mustang, was that airplane.... In My Humble Opinion of course.... {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

Excellent Video Andy...

Proves one thing, absolute speed is relative...

Personally, Test aircraft should not be lumped in with service aircraft, and thankfully he didn't include the whole transonic arguments and the claims made in that genre...

I tend to stick with combat aircraft.... Within the role they played in combat...  Below 5,000ft the Tempest could walk an FW190, The Mustang couldn't do that... (in any configuration) Between 5-20,000ft  they all flew in the same envelope and performed very similar.... Above 20,000ft there are only a few and of those only one saw significant combat.... And the Mustang, the Merlin powered Mustang, was that airplane.... In My Humble Opinion of course.... {chuckle}

If you haven’t seen it, this might interest you:

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hope   you  might  find  these  useful  Craig  -  I took  them  myself  back in  2017.

OC.

DSC_3540_DxO.jpg

DSC_3542_DxO.jpg

DSC_3544_DxO.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

11 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

If you haven’t seen it, this might interest you:

Actually yes it does, although he has slanted it towards the late war German Me 109 and the effort to keep it a viable combat aircraft, Daimler wasn't the first to use water injection and eventually methanol-water injection...

Pratt & Whitney was....  In the R2800... It is what made the R2800 the engine it was... The water injection version entered production at the end of '42 and reached the front lines in mid '43... a full year before the first Me109K flew...

As the initial production Corsairs and Hellcats came back for engine replacement they were upgraded to take the more powerful engine... By the end of the war all Corsairs and Hellcats were running on Water/Methanol injection engines...

But it is interesting in it really explains what engine Knock is and what stops it.... (keeping combustion chamber temps down, while packing even more high octane fuel in) the easy way is to boost octane, but in wartime conditions that is not always available... Also something not said, the manifold boost and injection was not something used 100% of the time, it was used in emergencies only.... And yes even on the 109K, otherwise you would be rebuilding engines every two or three flights instead of every 50 flights.... Water injection was never incorporated into the Merlin engine in an operational aircraft to my knowledge... But I don't know everything {chuckle} and I'm sure those brothers that do will tell me quick...

Excellent video my friend....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 3/12/2024 at 5:55 AM, ccoyle said:

and the production Fury was 20 mph faster than the P-51D

Yep, below 25,000ft...

On 3/12/2024 at 5:55 AM, ccoyle said:

For what it's worth, I think nearly all piston-engined, propeller-driven fighters are beautiful.

Amen brother.... Especially in bare metal.....

Quote:

The worst gaps were found at the wing roots. There I used some styrene to fill them in. After that used Mr Surfacer 500 to go over all the join areas on the fuselage. Once dry sanded it all down with a fine sanding sponge.

DSCN3886.thumb.JPG.e65440175403f893d0261c7f93f55b7f.JPGDSCN3887.thumb.JPG.97e8b68c9463486ef8c3806b8ee9110e.JPG

Next I used Mr Surfacer 1500 along the joints then sanded that down with an extra fine sanding sponge to see what I might have missed. Once I touch up a few small areas and add some parts, will be ready to lay down my gloss black primer.

DSCN3888.thumb.JPG.eabbc722bc39346007beec4bc6225592.JPGDSCN3889.thumb.JPG.14595bcafa3fe53a6191003a6cdc4c75.JPG

Sheesh, I remember so many of the earlier kits with the gaps and dihedral issues. Very nice save with the thin strips and Mr Surfacer products. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, Canute said:

Sheesh, I remember so many of the earlier kits with the gaps and dihedral issues. Very nice save with the thin strips and Mr Surfacer products. 👍

Thanks Ken. It will be far from perfect but a nice shelf model to represent whichever pilot option I decide to take. Trying to decide between Old Crow and Pete II. I prefer the color scheme of Pete II but love the Bud Anderson story.

22 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Question: How do you keep your paint stand so clean and so free of paint overspray?  

I was wondering the same thing Jack. I get paint on the walls!!

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

23 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Question: How do you keep your paint stand so clean and so free of paint overspray?  

Just now, chadwijm6 said:

I was wondering the same thing Jack. I get paint on the walls!!

I have several of those stands. That one is new and I have never painted anything on it yet. That particular stand is designed to hold model car bodies for painting. The spring wires go up inside the body and hold it tight while you paint and rotate the car body. I only used that stand because it was handy to sit the model on top while I took the photos.

When I paint an airplane like the P-51, I push a metal rod of the correct diameter up through the engine crankshaft/hole to hold and rotate the model while I paint it. If it's a jet, run an appropriate diameter dowel up through the engine nozzle for the same purpose. 

Looks great CDW. Which Alcad colour is that? 

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

15 minutes ago, chadwijm6 said:

Looks great CDW. Which Alcad colour is that? 

Thank you, James. The color is Alclad chrome. That particular metallic shade gives the effect with the most shine. Before I start handling or decaling and masking the model, I'll need to apply a clear acrylic gloss coat. Alclad is very susceptible to fingerprints and decal carrier film will look distorted on the model without the clear coat first. 

Using Pledge, applied with a soft, wide brush to protect the Alclad chrome finish. Keeping brush strokes gentle and minimal to avoid marring the bright finish of the Alclad. Being careful not to allow droplets to appear along edges from over applying the Pledge. Less is more. The self-leveling qualities of the clear acrylic will take care of itself, so don't "over-brush" it.

I'll lay down two coats before it's finished then allow a couple of days for it to cure before masking or decals.

DSCN3896.JPG

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Using Pledge, applied with a soft, wide brush to protect the Alclad chrome finish. Keeping brush strokes gentle and minimal to avoid marring the bright finish of the Alclad. Being careful not to allow droplets to appear along edges from over applying the Pledge. Less is more. The self-leveling qualities of the clear acrylic will take care of itself, so don't "over-brush" it.

I'll lay down two coats before it's finished then allow a couple of days for it to cure before masking or decals.

DSCN3896.JPG

Morning, I hope you don't mind but another question CDW.

Why use pledge, could you also use an airbrush to apply a gloss acrylic varnish?

Thanks

James 

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

4 hours ago, chadwijm6 said:

Morning, I hope you don't mind but another question CDW.

Why use pledge, could you also use an airbrush to apply a gloss acrylic varnish?

Thanks

James 

mostly it’s trial and error experience. What’s worked for me in the past I stick with and the rest I discard. I suspect Pledge works best as it has no adverse effect on the Alclad finish, plus it’s cheap and readily available. The airbrush tends to be unreliable as it’s hard to lay it down smoothly without pooling, sags, and runs. I get more control with a soft brush and Pledge self-levels.

2 minutes ago, Canute said:

The blue covered nicely.

Primarily because of the smooth finish under it. But it's always that way with paint. It's only going to be as good as the surface it's painted on. I forgot to mention, the blue is Tamiya lacquer, "Pure Blue". it may be a tad darker blue than it should be, but I can live with it.

2 hours ago, CDW said:

I'm thinking about breaking up all that shiny aluminum with some various shades of aluminum on different panels.

That looks really nice as it is, but know what you mean, some variations will add interest. From reference I have the panels either side of the exhaust stubs often look darker (not just staining either). I’m no Mustang expert but weren’t some Mustangs wings painted, even the NM ones?  Not sure where I got that notion from. 

Excellent progress  Craig,   i will  be a Stunner   when finished  - love  the idea  about  the  contrast  panels.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Good kit, bad kit, doesn´t matter, it looks like a Mustang and it´s going to be a nice one Craig.
I like Pledge as a varnish like you, but prefer using it in the airbrush. What I don´t like about Pledge, it´s not the most durable finish and can be easily damaged with decal solutions. I once had frosty irritations around decals, using the relatively mild Micro Sol onto pledged decals.
It´s good to see, the Pledge took away only a tiny bit of the shine, an effect, I always fear, when it comes to sealing NMF.

Cheers Rob  

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48