P-51D Mustang by CDW - FINISHED - Dragon - 1:32 Scale

Looking excellent  Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

38 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

That is looking sooo nice Craig! :imNotWorthy:

38 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking excellent  Craig.

OC.

21 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

I really like the color scheme. Nice painting! 

Thank you, gentlemen. 

Later I'll be experimenting with HGW wet transfer decals. Once they are positioned and given overnight to dry, the clear transfer film is peeled off the top of the decal and they are supposed to look like they were painted on. We'll see what happens together. Never used this type of decal before now.

There seems to be quite a bit of online controversy generated by Eduard’s switch to these kinds of decals. The film doesn’t peel up cleanly, the decal can get torn and/or partially lifted by the process and their print quality isn’t very good.

I had a taste of these decals with my Blackburn Skua build last fall, however I think I may have stumbled on to a reasonably reliable method to deal with them.

After allowing the decal to really set on the model, be sure to allow at least 24hrs for curing, apply some Micro Sol, and after a couple of minutes, gently scrub the decal film off with a stiff bristle paint brush. It’s a bit counterintuitive, but managed to make it work with some small stencil decals, which are the trickiest to do. I’ve seen some folks advise using mineral (white) spirits, I think with Micro Sol there’s less risk of ruining the paint finish.

Personally I’m not a fan of having to take all these risky extra steps. 

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

1 hour ago, realworkingsailor said:

Personally I’m not a fan of having to take all these risky extra steps. 

Me neither, I tried them a while back using the Micro sol trick with them, didn't work for me.... they all tore in some fashion, at least when a standard decal tears, you have a chance to recover from it, with these wet-transfer decals, no chance if they tear... You cant reassemble them into a useable decal....  Next to impossible to get them off cleanly once they have fractured as well...

Not worth the risk IMHO...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

3 hours ago, CDW said:

I may yet decide to dirty her up a bit but that won't happen, or a decision made until after the decals have been applied. From all I can see, the crews maintained these planes very well for the most part. 

Oh please don't, (aside from normal streaks & stains) way too many of these birds are made to look like they were flying out of garbage heaps or never got any maintenance on the flightline... They were always being wiped down and cleaned, the ground crews were very proud of their planes and pilots and kept them looking their best, Especially in England... (flying side by side with the RAF almost mandated it, they wanted them to look their best...)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

The original kit decals are Cartograf and as such, high quality as new. However, since the kit is now some 18 years old, and the decals stored inside the kit having seen some less than favorable storage conditions over the past couple of decades, decided it might be prudent to use a new, fresh set of decals rather than fight with the old set. Yesterday at the last minute, decided I would go ahead and try using the original decals, know I had a backup plan if the first couple of small decals used as a test went wrong. As it turned out, I was happy to learn the old decal sheet was in better condition than I thought it might be. They are going down just fine.

There remain more decals to place, but this is the start, and I am happy with it.

DSCN3915.thumb.JPG.912804f04d78bb69b5e77e77d503f207.JPG

Looking very good, Craig. The tonal variations of the panels worked out very well. And the decals really are stand out. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Your Mustang looks fantastic, Craig, I love the shiny finish with the panel accentuation.
Good that the original decals worked, I had very mixed results with HGW wet transfers on different builds. If everything works out, they loook perfectly, but that´s only the case with perfect surface preparation, concentration and sheer luck. I liked the little worn effect on the stencils from a MIG-31 I once build, but would be carefully with a relatively new looking plane.
How did you get the AK Extreme Metal black base to really cure. I used it twice as a base for chrome and polished aluminum, like you, straight from the jar and it never dried, staying tacky even after weeks. I threw my bottles away and use Tamiya LP gloss black instead. Works perfectly, is durable and dries fast.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Your Mustang looks fantastic, Craig, I love the shiny finish with the panel accentuation.
Good that the original decals worked, I had very mixed results with HGW wet transfers on different builds. If everything works out, they loook perfectly, but that´s only the case with perfect surface preparation, concentration and sheer luck. I liked the little worn effect on the stencils from a MIG-31 I once build, but would be carefully with a relatively new looking plane.
How did you get the AK Extreme Metal black base to really cure. I used it twice as a base for chrome and polished aluminum, like you, straight from the jar and it never dried, staying tacky even after weeks. I threw my bottles away and use Tamiya LP gloss black instead. Works perfectly, is durable and dries fast.

Cheers Rob

Thanks, Rob. I used Tamiya X1, reduced at a ratio of 4 parts paint to 6 parts leveling thinner as a base for the Alclad. For the drop tanks and weapons mounts, I used the Extreme Metal black primer as a base, then sprayed Mr Color Super Silver 2, mixed at a ratio of 1 part paint to 10 parts leveling thinner. I had read reports the super silver applied in this heavily reduced fashion, sprayed on at low psi and light misting coats gave a finish that would rival Alclad. it does, in my opinion. At a much lower cost. As for the AK black base, I just sprayed it in very light coats allowing each coat to flash before applying another coat. It was dry to the touch in minutes, although I allowed it to dry about 4 hours before applying the super silver. Did you apply it over primer or bare plastic? I applied mine over bare plastic,  

23 minutes ago, CDW said:

As for the AK black base, I just sprayed it in very light coats allowing each coat to flash before applying another coat. It was dry to the touch in minutes, although I allowed it to dry about 4 hours before applying the super silver. Did you apply it over primer or bare plastic? I applied mine over bare plastic,

I really can´t remember, if  primed or not. I have to go through my ancient build logs to find out and will add that later.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Simply beautiful!!

Bet she's a stunner in the sunlight...

Very well done, best I've seen... (including my own)

Quote:

Fantastic Craig, you built an absolute beauty out of this error prone old kit, congratulations.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Very nice, Craig!

37 minutes ago, gsdpic said:

Wow, stunning result, well done!   I'm not a warplane guy but seeing this makes me want to give it a try.

32 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Simply beautiful!!

Bet she's a stunner in the sunlight...

Very well done, best I've seen... (including my own)

7 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Fantastic Craig, you built an absolute beauty out of this error prone old kit, congratulations.

Cheers Rob

Thanks, gentlemen.

That is a beautiful aeroplane. Very cool, well done Craig.

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

Craig, congratulations on finishing your Mustang!. Thanks to you and everyone for sharing so much great information.

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Stunning work mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

There she is! Outstanding, top shelf, top shelf! My .02… do not “dirty” her up. She is a totally restored air show circuit standard! 😄

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

You've definitely turned that sow's ear into a silk purse, Craig. The finish is outstanding. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 minutes ago, Canute said:

You've definitely turned that sow's ear into a silk purse, Craig. The finish is outstanding. 👍

Scale perfection is over rated and it can become a disease that will prevent an average modeler from getting anything done in the model building department. I know because it impacted me that way for a time some years ago. An interesting finish and not over stressing on minute details is most relaxing and fun for me. It’s the thing that allowed me to open the box and finish a kit I started almost 20 years ago, put on hold, and finish it in less than a month. It’s not perfect by a long shot but it was fun and looks good on the shelf.

Thanks for following and for your support along the way.

Posted (edited)

Your build brings back fond memories of Daryl Greenamyer flying his P51D at Tonopah and then his F104 for the low altitude speed record over Mud Lake.  Also enjoyed the scene at the end the movie Top Gun-Maverick with Tom Cruise flying his P51.   Had the great fortune to meet and interview Daryl as I had worked for PPG at the time and we had supplied to paint for the F104 from the Ditzler division of PPG.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Beautiful finish of all colors! Your Mustang looks fantastic.

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart