Chairs! Let’s see your chairs.

I’m curious what kind of chairs you all use at the workbench. My chair is so-so, I find I’m sitting forward quite a bit, like on the front edge. I don’t think I need to move around much so I don’t think I need wheels but I’m wondering if a stool type seat might be better. I’m also planning on modifying my desk so I have a higher work area like a watchmaker desk. I’d like some chair recommendations. 

Thanks!!

Chris

Staples has a drafting chair that I have found to be comfortable. Its lowest height works for bench level work and it adjusts upward for working aloft. 😎
IMG_3300.thumb.jpeg.9c04b726a467ab365e542a1d059a5070.jpeg

https://www.staples.com/Ergonomic-Mid-Back-Mesh-Drafting-Chair-with-Black-Fabric-Seat-and-Adjustable-Foot-Ring-GO-2100-GG/product_2607258

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

I have used a similar drafting chair for years.  Many 8 hour days spent on it.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I just use a generic office chair, but I recall seeing an interesting chair recently in the "What did you receive today" shore leave topic.  Maybe @Moonbug can comment on his Vyper.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Hehe, thanks Gary - yeah I definitely dig the "Vyper".  I mean, let's be honest - it's expensive has H#ll - but really well constructed and the wheels are super smooth.  Would be a great contestant for any sort of "office chair races."   It also adjusts up and down quite cleanly for switching work surfaces - a must for me as I'm not the tallest fella in the room.  The padding on both the seat and the backrest are very good, and as you can tell by looking the entire thing is VERY sturdy.  However - not having armrests is a bit of a sacrifice for me.  It makes it so you can reverse the chair and lean forward against the backrest 'cowboy style' - but a tradeoff to be sure. 

image.thumb.png.a7c74a6c7a544b52ee4d7e5445f77bc7.png

Sort of unrelated to the topic - but it also doubles as a shop chair when I'm working in the garage on my baby...

image.thumb.jpeg.7914d92e9f80b8f6aac91d49bd7d0e6a.jpeg

I would love to use a chair but always find myself standing up. Usually because the tool I need is invariably more than an arms reach away. I have never had a chair with wheels though!

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

I am using two chairs, an adjustable office chair for seating a regular table height, and a tall for the workbench also adjustable. The tall one I bought at Staples only used as a display model. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Not in my workshop, but at my computer. I broke one hip 25 years ago, and had the other replaced two years ago. Sitting in any desk chair was very painful for my legs after a half hour or so, and I would have to get up and sit in my recliner, or lay down. Any chair with a regular cushion had the same effect. I saw a review of a chair like this one and bought one to try out. I can sit for hours at the computer now! I spend a lot of time at my computer, drafting various things for my models, so this chair has been great.

https://www.staples.com/union-scale-flexfit-hyken-ergonomic-mesh-swivel-task-chair-black-un59460/product_990119

Chair.jpg.342d822f7f9a5672cedaab98bc9e115e.jpg

I've had mine since Feb 2023 when I moved the shipyard down to a basement room.  It's quite comfortable to sit for hours at a time, has wheels (as you can see) which makes it nice to roll easily to a couple additional tables I have in the room, and I like the arms to rest on, but they do both pivot up out of the way, if needed.

Amazon.com: Modway Veer Reception Desk Flip-Up Arm Drafting Chair in Black : Office Products

Chair.jpg.28b1c75a36e428aee54053f009770b52.jpg

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

I have one of these ,(the earlier version Anda Seat AD12XL-03 Gaming Chair XL) ,but it's the same chair - It's on the expensive side but I've got a shot spine and on the larger size so it was worth the investment!
It's my computer chair and modelling chair in one seeing i do my modelling at my computer desk😎 ,and it has got to be one one of the most comfortable chairs ive ever owned ,(fallen asleep a few times in it😏🤣) ,5 years and the only thing wrong is a small split on the front of the seat!

https://www.andaseat.ca/products/dark-knight-gaming-chair

Darius, I can one falling asleep in a chair like that. Especially when one can recline the backrest to that extent. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I use an old Steelcase that I acquired when my previous company went belly up (27 years ago).   It's not a perfect chair, but I've spent many happy hours in it (most of them *after* the chair came into my shop).   Used office furniture stores can be good sources for chairs that are still in excellent condition.

Bob

IMG_7614.jpeg

Bob

current build 

Dutch 17th Century Pinas - Kolderstok - Scale 1:50 - Cross-Section

upcoming builds                               past builds

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                         USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72                                            USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

back on the shelf                                                              USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8   

One thing that is very important to me is to be able to adjust the height of the arm rests to the same level as the desk top. My forearm can rest on the arm rest and my wrist on the desk top.

The arm rest height must be adjustable relative to the seat height. Many/most office chairs have fixed arm rests.

I don't use a chair. Chairs are a bit too comfortable, (I could easily sit in a comfortable chair all day long)! I don't need a backrest because I'm always leaning forward, over my workbench. I also do not need arm rests, as my arms are always elevated and resting on my workbench, somewhere. This is what I use. A simple stool. It rolls easily in any direction that I need, when I need to grab something that is just a wee bit out of reach. It also starts to dig into my butt after I've been sitting on it for too long, forcing me to get up off my old 'bee-hind' and get the blood flowing in my legs and feet again, whether I like it or not! :o     

Stool.jpg.4c9ed78e3afae7b226cb59eceb970d25.jpg

Edited by tmj

"The journey of a thousand miles is only a beginning!"

Current Build;

All current builds are on the ol' drawing board

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Scratch Build, "In work and active in both research and design phases"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

This is my chair, and much like my first truck, it's hard on tires, lol20240618_103309.thumb.jpg.b95c680d5bcf2d8cc4227a53be7a62a2.jpg

This could be because of the 275 plus pounds I slam into it everyday. I bought 5 wheels to replace them as needed  ,down to three.  This is my second chair in three years, if I buy one like I seen posted here, will I be able to model like the owner lol.

Bob M.     :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

20 hours ago, tmj said:

I don't use a chair. Chairs are a bit too comfortable, (I could easily sit in a comfortable chair all day long)! I don't need a backrest because I'm always leaning forward, over my workbench. I also do not need arm rests, as my arms are always elevated and resting on my workbench, somewhere. This is what I use. A simple stool. It rolls easily in any direction that I need, when I need to grab something that is just a wee bit out of reach. It also starts to dig into my butt after I've been sitting on it for too long, forcing me to get up off my old 'bee-hind' and get the blood flowing in my legs and feet again, whether I like it or not! :o     

Stool.jpg.4c9ed78e3afae7b226cb59eceb970d25.jpg

I'm with you! I like to have a more active posture and it's easier to stand up and sitting down on these things.

Mine: 

hbm-2038-1.jpg-1200x600-e9d7bebc88.jpg

Edited by mugje

10 hours ago, Desertanimal said:

Where did you get that little four wheeled thing? I like that. 

It's from a Dutch company called: "HBM Machines". Not sure if they ship internationally, but maybe they do.

https://www.hbm-machines.com/nl/p/hbm-professionele-werkplaatsstoel-werkstoel-met-gasveer-model-3

I am surprised that they are allowed to sell this still. I thought stools/chairs with three or four casters don't get a CE certificat anymore due to the risk of them tipping over and rolling away under your butt ... chairs have to have five casters these days.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

3 hours ago, wefalck said:

I am surprised that they are allowed to sell this still. I thought stools/chairs with three or four casters don't get a CE certificat anymore due to the risk of them tipping over and rolling away under your butt ... chairs have to have five casters these days.

Never experienced tipping or whatsoever...rolling yes :D