HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/72

Hi Kevin

I too have just found your build log and all I can say is WOW. I've only just started my Contructo Victory build so I haven't done that much yet but if it comes anywhere near the quality of yours I will be very pleased. My workshop is a 15' x 10' shed but her indoors keeps putting her junk in there!!! and I'm only 3/4 of the way through lining it.

Anyway keep up the fantastic work and thanks for the inspiration.

Bootes

Bootes

Colour is just a pigment of your imagination !

Current build:

HMS Victory - Constructo 1:94 

I'll join the first time responders to your log with another "wow". That is some beautiful work that you've done Kevin. The port lids are something special.

Bob

Good evening everyone

back to the main deck and doing some of the fittings, i had to learn what a kevel is today, i could not find my kit belaying pins, so used some from the spares box, bit to clean, will tone down

i tried successfully using Micro Kristal Klear on the sky light, intentions are to use it on the stern gallery as well, as i forgot to put any acetate in, also lining up the stern hull decoration port side aft

post-846-0-80386700-1406405417_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-82912700-1406405420_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-19306800-1406405423_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-17326400-1406405428_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-64316300-1406405430_thumb.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I had some success as well with the Micro Crystal clear.  Don't know how many 'coats' you used but check back in 6 months to be sure everything has held up well.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

That stuff works well Kevin - I used a similar product. You say you'll use it on the stern galleries as well, but as these are already in place you may have some difficulty. I would expect that you would normally paint the glaze on the back/inside of the windows - not sure how it will look when applied from the front/outside?

I used it 5 years ago on my Mamoli Connie quarter galleries. It worked out fine and still looks great.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

That stuff works well Kevin - I used a similar product. You say you'll use it on the stern galleries as well, but as these are already in place you may have some difficulty. I would expect that you would normally paint the glaze on the back/inside of the windows - not sure how it will look when applied from the front/outside?

Grant no doubt i will let you and the rest of the world know, as for the stuff its self, it acts just like a thick PVA glue

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hopefully you won't have a problem Kevin - i was just concerned that you would end up with the "excess" in a visible way.  When I used Microglaze (a similar product) on my stern and quarter windows, I applied it before attaching the window strips to the model, and hence was able to apply it from the back/inside.  Perhaps a quick test run on some scrap would answer the question for you.  With luck, it won't leave a visible residue.

I look forward to seeing the outcome.

of course i could leave them without any glaze, but it is imposable to put any acetate in place now

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Is CLEAR FIX the same kind of product  If not where did you get the microglaze ,was that the one from the states 

post-846-0-71236100-1406405425_thumb.jpg

i bought this in the UK, and sorry i don't know if it is better or worse than other products

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Shihawk,

The one from the US is called Micro Glaze and is sold by MicroMark (product id #80894). It claims to be good for window openings up to 1/4" square.  I've no idea how it compares to the stuff Kevin is using, but I suspect they are pretty much identical.  They work well and produce a nice "antique" glass look.

Hope this helps.

well i was interested to see how this stuff worked on the 1/4 galleries, some of it is still drying

post-846-0-51431700-1406455377_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-78957600-1406455380_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-10340400-1406455384_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-38910400-1406455389_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-58038500-1406455394_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-44780500-1406455399_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Yes, that's about what I got with Micro Glaze.  I like the effect.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Good evening

still on the main deck, back to thoroughly enjoying the build again, oh where does the time go and a picture of me 

post-846-0-31245900-1406488273_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-05596600-1406488278_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-42670200-1406488328_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good that you're having fun again on this build.  I'm impressed that liquid glass worked out on the installed windows. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Kevin, the windows came out just great, congrats!  And the ship looks awesome, holding it in front you gives an idea of how big she is.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

ok i get the point there are no stoopd questions but i am going to ask one anyway

but to set the question up i need to state why i am asking it

My HMS Victory will be set into a diorama setting post Trafalgar,this will be after Nelson death and before she is retied from active service

she will be on a sail past of say Gibraltar and alll sails set including stuns, i want to display a lot of crew aloft and (silly i know have some sort of band playing on the upper deck), 

getting to my  question is i don't want to display the upper deck cannons, very little would be seen anyway with all the stuns booms set, 

So did the Royal Navy promote the Rn in the early 19th century, did they go around the world promoting world dominance, and therefore have a 1st rate sailing around with cannons offloaded 

of course i doubt that, there was always conflicts going on, so i guess this leads on to possibly another question where do i put them if the decks are to be cleared for the need of catering for quests and dignitaries as she fly the flag

i know what i want - i just don't quite know how to ask the question 

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

regardless of how the above question pans out , i continue with the upper gun deck  with exception of the above mentioned cannons and the ladders this is nearing completion

post-846-0-88242800-1407013530_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-25148900-1407013534_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-51434000-1407013536_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-91883600-1407013538_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

Questions back at you... how much "post Trafalgar"?  I don't think a warship of the period would have went anywhere without it's guns.  Ok.... maybe if it were converted to something else.   Would setting them on the deck in "stowed" position save you some rigging and time?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Joe and Mark thank you , i have no intentions of making the build look silly,but i still don't know how to ask the right question 

LOL i want more space on the upper deck and the sticky outy things are in my way

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening everyone, welcome to the weekly outside photo shoot of my wheelie bin with the build sat on top, not so smelly this week

the companion ladder took me longer to do than anticipated, but i am pleased with the result

post-846-0-15400000-1407088043_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-45211100-1407088046_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-22239900-1407088049_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

today i also unpacked the stun boom that i made last year, just to remind myself how big this thing is going to get, so my questions about upper deck cannons will become irrelevant as in a case you wont get anywhere near enough to see them

post-846-0-03761900-1407088419_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-80106700-1407088422_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-46084600-1407088426_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I have a question for you Kevin,

Are you placing a fishing rod at the Victory ??????????

But a very nice companion stair !!!!!!!!!!

That looks just awesome !!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

LOL Sjors when i get round to fitting that- it wont be taken out for a weekly trip into the garden 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished