Holiday Harbor by popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale - multi build

Hi Denis,

Good progress mate, that hull shape really stands out now the resins on.

Hope the headache wasn't to bad mate, renowned for it when using this stuff, real heady vapours even with good ventilation.

With the hull a little narrower your onto making a Cat or Triple, now that would be a project.

Keep up the good stuff mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Popeye,

I perused your post front to back, great attitude in adversity, fantastic work.  :im Not Worthy:

under difficult circumstances.

John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

thanks all for the kind comments and the likes!   I ended up leaving the hull out there for most of the afternoon.    I've got that kind of luck,  where I'll go and hit the sandpaper,  only to find that it wasn't ready.....and we all know what that does.     had to laugh though.........the admiral love the finish!    today,  I'll bring her back out there.......I need to redo the cabin.   I started with the bottom,  and by the time I got to the cabin,  the resin was starting to get globby,  so the cabin is kinda rough to the touch.   the bottom looks like glass,  with just a couple of areas that will need attention.   I'll see how far I can go today  ;)

thanks Rob........kinda looks that way  :)   there are a few factors why I'm trying this.......sealing......smoother finish.......and yea,  you can say I'm stick'in a big toe in the water.   our last 'baby bird' will be leaving the nest very soon {it's in the works},  and I'm trying to hint at a lake or a pond if we plan a move to a smaller place.   can't be too small though,  with all the models I have  :D  :D

thanks Patrick....yes......I feel much better about this hull.   I also have a couple of ideas for outfitting her.....enough to keep the balance between fishing boat and the subject.  it will be a good platform for paint......but I gotta keep with the same formula.   as I did with the Andrea Gail,  I thinned the paint down just enough to reduce the sheen down to a semi gloss.   I have a few builds,  where the paint is very shiny.......it's nice,  but for fishing boats,  the sheen factor needs to be reduced.......even a flat is livable.    I'm not wearing my boots right now {it's getting deep}  I'll get into more later  ;)

thanks Mobbsie.........no headaches....!  I held my breath.......only taking a breath when it was safe  ;)    it went on though just like I thought it would.   you might be onto something with the catamaran.....that would be something cool to see  ;)

I commend you John for your perseverance :)    Actually,  the major accomplishment of this whole log was the Andrea Gail.   I think now that adding the fore deck blew the other hull out of contention as well.   true,  this log isn't as long,  as others on the site,  but the subject is a very wide field.   I've done my best to keep it on track,  but I keep losing hulls.   so I'm down to these two........the other boat is waiting for a paint scheme,  as well as a subject name.     chances are,  it will remain here.......can't see myself creating another log just for a little bit of work.   I welcome you to the log.........my trilogy,  and I hope you enjoyed it.   there's still more to go,  so I hope you'll follow along. thanks for taking the time to look in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Mobbsie.........no headaches....!  I held my breath.......only taking a breath when it was safe   ;)

Reminds me of the first time I painted inside the forepeak. I sat in the opening which blocked the fresh air.  The boss drug me out after I started laughing.  Quite happy and hung over.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Patrick and Bob,,,,,,and those who hit the like button.   changes are happening......I'm also keeping an eye to the sky.    s'pose to be  storms today.

haven't seen but a few very short sprinkles so far.   at the moment......it's a drying process.........next,  well.........you'll see very soon  ;)

I wasn't taken any chances Bob.........didn't like what happened to me the last time  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

oh......nutz!!!!!   I had a picture of the bow.....I took it this morning while it was sitting on the table.    better late than never!

post-612-0-31775700-1468518980.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

back out in the garage...........changes were happening.   the hull got some sanding to clean up the imperfections.....later I found,  that I didn't get them all.   I'll see how the process goes.......perhaps I can clean a few of the more obvious ones later or cover them with trim work.   it's a work boat........

post-612-0-51543300-1468533473.jpg

bringing all my stuff up from the cellar,  I even brought up the two cans of white primer.   they were empty......go figure!   I wasn't going to use the red primer........looking around,  I noticed that my son had a can of gray primer in his basket.  so I grabbed it and shot the hull....completely.

post-612-0-83557400-1468535284.jpg

post-612-0-23469500-1468535335.jpg

post-612-0-18672300-1468535346.jpg

post-612-0-57440800-1468535357.jpg

OK.........that it for the spray can....... the second phase and everything else,  will be done with airbrush.   first order of business was to get the hull masked up.   after waiting a while for the primer to dry,  the task was done.

post-612-0-71924400-1468535663.jpg

post-612-0-66425700-1468535676.jpg

being in the garage again,  I can use the Craftsman 25 gal compressor........I had to set up the airbrush,  since I had removed the nipple hook up.   I've shown what I use in a few of my logs.......for anyone who hasn't viewed one of my builds,  this is a Testor's EZ airbrush.   there are kits sold in most hobby and craft shops,  under the name "Amazing Air" airbrush kit.   they come with a compressed air can,  but I've adapted mine to work with my compressor.  I bought another one {clearance,  cuz someone returned it....mucked up} and I use it with a Starcraft mini compressor.   darn thing is about the size of a fish tank aerator.

post-612-0-62901400-1468536597.jpg

it is a siphon feed........comes also with the caps and feed tubes.   Testor,  Humbrol,  and Pactra 1/4 oz bottles will work with this outfit.  sometimes clean bottles can be found.......but if none can be found,  I buy the 1/4 oz bottles of thinner and I dump the contents in the larger can that I also purchase.

post-612-0-44759500-1468536840.jpg

I used one bottle of paint for this {1/4 oz}.    one bottle is the mixing bottle....another bottle has clean thinner to clean the cap,  or if it happens to get plugged.   the larger can has a small cap plug,  which works well as a measuring cup for the thinner.   I had tossed around to the admiral a bunch of color combos.   she chose the colors as shown in the pictures.

since all I have on hand is matte white.........a matte scheme it is!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Man...you're moving along.........Paint already! B)

I'm still laying decking.....

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ON WITH THE PAINT /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

mixing up half of the bottle,  the first light coat was laid down.   mixing up the rest of the paint,  I put two caps of thinner in the mixing bottle and poured it into the original paint bottle.   the mixing bottle was cleaned out to use again,  and clean thinner was run through the siphon cap to clean it out.   never let it set for too long.   the second spray was the final coat.....I have just enough to do touch ups.    it's a common color....I'll get some more later.   as mentioned,  there are a few minor imperfections,  but I can live with them  :)

post-612-0-00313100-1468538659.jpg

post-612-0-07542800-1468538672.jpg

the stand was brought out too........and given a coat of gray primer.

post-612-0-80706700-1468538712.jpg

so far,  the rain has held off.......we are now well in the after noon.  I let the paint set for a short time,  and then removed the masking.   the darn thing was almost dry to the touch.   time is shortened due to the temps....I think we are in the low 90's.

the masking is now removed..........

post-612-0-44199800-1468538933.jpg

post-612-0-28719200-1468538947.jpg

post-612-0-70664400-1468538960.jpg

I brought the stand in and put felt buttons on the bottom corners........I will line the boat contacts with felt strips that I have cut already,  but haven't put on.   once they are on to protect the paint,  I can bring the boat back in the house......she's still out in the garage.   the bottom paint I will leave the gray.    trim and the windshield will be the next things I tackle  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Small imperfections make the model yours....not to sound like a non perfectionist...but they really do.  Do you think real boat/ship makers didn't have building blemishes in their vessels?  One tends to be their own worst critic.....I think your build is super. Even if you are painting in low temp high humidity...... :722972270::A WORLD WHERE ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN AND USUALLY DOES....Ain't it fun?

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Fine work there, Denis.   The paint is bringing her to life.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks for the good comments Rob and Mark....also,  thanks for all the likes  :)     I know what your say'in Rob.......I can be at times,  but not so much with this one.   it's a work boat.......can't have it look'in pristine now,  can we?    some of the minor stuff,  I'm not going to sweat....in fact,  I'm rather glad that all I have is matte paint........it will add to the detail when I get around to doing the trim.  "who does camo with gloss paint?"  ;)

I appreciate your kind words............thank you:)

thanks Mark..........didn't get much further than this........the sky opened up  :(     then the air was like soup!   I gathered some material together for the next steps.......hopefully another update will come of it.   thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That is a sweet paint job Popeye. What a difference weather wise from last weekend. I hope the rain holds off for you for the rest of it.

i always stay breathless when see your painted surfaces ... HOW ????

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks Tom and Nenad for the kind comments........and to all the likes.    it's working out well.....the build is almost caught up to the Jingle Belle.   a group shot of these boats is going to look strange now........I saw the thread about builds in progress.  I should snap a picture and post it there.    even crazier,  what if I took a picture of them all?    sick!  :D

thanks Tom....yesterday was a nail biter that went down the tubes once the rain drops started to fall.  good thing I wasn't using lacquer.   I wouldn't have painted anything that week either........too cool..........slow drying.

thanks Nenad.......I remember my younger days,  first try with the airbrush.   I hated brushes because of the streaks it left behind......so I bought one.  it wasn't long before I hung it up.......too much of a pain to clean it.    I went many years after that working on brush techniques.....some good.....some bad.

I was going to post it here........but I think I'd get in trouble for it......but I have a few different airbrushes.  I believe there is a thread about airbrushes here somewhere....I'll find it and post it there.   for folks looking to get into an airbrush of their own,  I think they will find it interesting.   I'll post a link when I post it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

here is the link I was referring to:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13831-my-airbrushes/

getting back to airbrushing has made painting easier for me.......a lot more control than the rattle can.   I hope you find something useful  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just caught up with this build, looking really very nice Denis. 

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I love it when you do the paintwork Denis, it's so clean and precise. You always seem to get such a good finish on it too.

Keep it up mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thank you all for the kind comments and also to all who hit the like button.  :)    ...and also another suggestion for the name!    you in the running good sir!  ;)

I'll add it to the list!   now that she's back on the table,   I decided to try out the idea of giving her a little work boat appeal.   putting the windshield in place,  I saw promise,  as well as a thought about how the windshield will be painted.  I did a little bit last night.......strange,  because it's a work night and I don't even go near the table.   just too darn tired............but I did.   what I had assembled with clamps is now cemented in place and I have more to add.   I,m taking the day off tomorrow...........an extra day to get a bit further with what I have in mind.   for sure,  there will be an update tomorrow  ;)

welcome bdgiantman2.........it won't look so ghostly once I get the trim on.  hopefully I can snap a picture of the two together.  should be interesting

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello Ed........hope thing are well with you and the misses.    yes,  the basic paint is down.......the trim work will take over the scheme now.    I still haven't gotten 'round to painting it yet.   planned to get up this morn and start right in,   but my son Kevin came home this morning,  carrying on about his car.  I found out that it's his car that is making oil spots in the driveway   {he had an oil change recently}.   I see that the filter is leaking........don't know how they could have messed it up.......but I guess it's dad to the rescue.  so a small diversion is in order here.   thanks for the good word and give Urmilla a hug for me.

I do have a couple of pictures that I'll post for now.    there is the stand.......I have the felt tabs on it.   I should have taken a picture of the boat on it......

post-612-0-20348500-1468850355.jpg

Friday,  I was toying around with the "work boat" thoughts........I took a piece of 1/8 square stock and spanned it across the windshield opening,  with a couple of clamps.   I wanted to give it a pair of gallows.......I figured about a 1 1/2 inch overhang,  but clamping the wood in place was as far as I got.   Saturday night.......I measured it out and cemented the wood in place.

post-612-0-38315300-1468850645.jpg

a pair of support posts were added here.........there is still a few more parts to add.

post-612-0-46622200-1468850724.jpg

I did find out that the model master Battleship gray,  is pretty much the same color as the primer....so I'm in good shape there.   I should go and get some flat white.....perhaps.  maybe I'll go while I'm out getting the stuff for Kevin's car.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello all...........thanks for all the likes!  :)   life got the better of me yesterday.......my son's car was a pain.......there is an issue with it that I haven't been able to nail down.     >long story<     I did get to do a little bit of toying around though....but not enough time to post it.   I picked it back up today......later in the day {yea...I was being lazy}.   I was going to show you these before I painted them.....this is some half round wood dowel,  that I got a while ago {back when Billing USA closed down.

Tom had sent me a bunch of odds and ends.......been trying to fine a good place to use them.

post-612-0-86556500-1468982262.jpg

the portholes were painted red too........anything that is trim.   I also thought I'd get a bit creative with the windshield.   one side will be painted red and the other side will be gray.

post-612-0-10619800-1468982400.jpg

post-612-0-09503500-1468982413.jpg

I waited for these to dry.   I had put strips of tape on some wax paper and cut them into small strips with a razor.

post-612-0-86046900-1468982493.jpg

I under estimated the length of the windshield........had to cut some more tape when I got out in the garage.   both sides are masked up.

post-612-0-41026600-1468982566.jpg

I grabbed the flat black off the table.........found out that it wasn't any good.   scrambled into the house to get a  fresh bottle.   there was some residual problems........but I got the job done.

post-612-0-20494200-1468982700.jpg

I thought there would be some problems with removing it from the card board.........but it came off alright  :) 

post-612-0-42995800-1468982779.jpg

once on the table,  the masking was removed.  give a decent simulation of the gaskets around the windows.

post-612-0-60364900-1468983595.jpg

a suitable piece of the tinted cello was cut and glued to one of the windshield halves with the window maker.  there was also enough to do the portholes.  I swear........I'm never going to run out of that stuff!

post-612-0-18341500-1468983724.jpg

once the windshield is dry enough,  the other half will be cemented on,  sandwiching the cello in between.  it will take some time for the portholes to totally dry.   I still have to finish the gallows,  which also serves as the top frame for the windshield.   I have a bit more to do there.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

after I was done posting the update,   I went back to the table.   I made a boo boo in putting the outer part of the windshield together....I got a smear.   this stuff dries clear,  so it's not noticeable,   until your right up close.  I had to paint the gallows before I could fit it anyway.......took a q-tip with water and tried to clean it off.  once this stuff is dry,  it's hard to remove.   I got most of it though

post-612-0-47706300-1468989662.jpg

post-612-0-62011700-1468989675.jpg

I'm gonna hang some blocks off of them...that should dress them up pretty good.   the windshield was fitted in place.

post-612-0-71893300-1468989766.jpg

post-612-0-64613700-1468989787.jpg

now that it's all together.....the gasket 'round the windows looks neat  ;)

post-612-0-37389100-1468989870.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Lazy, Denis?   I  hate to be around for a busy time in shop.   Sorry to hear the car is giving you fits, but the shipwork looks great... if that's any consolation.

Edit.. we were cross-posting.  That gasket looks like the real thing.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work on the painting details, Denis. Your log could be used as a tutorial, including the masking ... very sharp lines .. like the red and grey on the windscreen, and those black window rubbers/gaskets ... still searching for your smear ... can't seem to put my finger on the spot though ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Looking great!

Always love the inventiveness.  

- Bug