HMS Jason by Beef Wellington - Caldercraft - 1:64 - Artois-class frigate modified from HMS Diana 1794

Thanks gents and for the kind words all the 'likes'

Lou - Thanks for stopping by.  I've been pretty lucky so far, taking it really slow.  I did have one reject where I made the error of mistakenly assuming that the slots in the false deck should be fully replicated in the margin plank - this would result in the slot being visible once the bulkhead bulwarks were planked, but wont make that mistake again.

B.E. - always appreciate your critical eye

Jim - I am having a lot of fun doing it....once the initial fear was cast aside.  Seeing you and Eamon tackle yours convinced me to try.

Sjors - There will be no treenails! Personal preference only, I'd like to avoid the measles and don't think they would be visible at this scale; but I don't want to resurrect that whole debate again!  ONE day, many years in the future, if I ever manage a POF then I would do treenails as I think these types of models demonstrate the physical structure and construction techniques.

Joe - deck is maple, I ordered purchased from Caldercraft when they sent my replacement keel former.  Thought I had ordered enough for the upper decks as well but I'm seeing a higher rate of wastage than I'd like because of splintering on the edge of the planking.  I'll probably try CMB next time.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Wow, very nice looking deck.  Can I send you my Pegasus decks to do for me? :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Jason,

Hobbymill  is a great source for your wood. Just an FYI if you should need any in the future. They supplied me with wood for my Rattlesnake and it was great. I have maple on order from him for my Diana.

Mort 

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Jason, was it just the AOS book that influenced your decision on Diana? I ask as I am trying to decide between Diana and Aggy as well. I like them both but have to choose, either way I would upgrade wood and use minimal paint/stain. Any insight that led to your decision would be appreciated.

Beautiful planking Jason - the nibbing is perfect

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Mort - I did consider Jeff (and have bought some boxwood from him), but I was counting my pennies and thought I could make do with some lesser maple given the quantities needed

Lou - it was a hard decision!  I did like having the AOTS to reference but the HMS Bellona AOTS book could probably be used as a proxy for the Agamemnon.  A frigate was also appealing because there is slightly less repetition (cannons, ports etc) but I also wanted to replace some of the wood for a more 'Admiralty' feel, I felt Diana kit was maybe more manageable based on my skill level - we'll see how that turns out.  Size wise, the Diana is similar in size to the Agamemnon so its still big.  The final thing that swayed me was that there are a couple of kits on the horizon but not available yet that have piqued my interest (Chris Watton's 1:64 Victory, and the 1:72 Bellona), so my next build (can't believe I'm even saying this because it will be years away) will likely be a ship of the line - I've given up hope on the Caldercraft 74, but you never know...there is always the CC Agamemnon or Amati Bellerophon.

Hamilton - thanks for the kind comment - not perfect, but I'm happy how its turning out.

Stergios - cheers mate, looking forward to more of your progress soon as well!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

What a fantastic bit of planking Jason, would you please just explain one thing for me:- how in hells teeth do you expect me to emulate such clean and concise work, cos I aint got a clue.

Simply superb work mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason, she's looking relly nice up to this point. I really like the decking.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 3 weeks later...

Nice hear from you John

Mobbsie - cheers mate, though I think you're being a bit generous with the praise  B)

Well, bit of a milestone, the upper deck is finally completed and glued into position.  Next step will be the interior bulwarks, will require some tweaking as a few test planks indicate that the bulwarks (even after shaping) still will be a bit wavy, I'll probably just add some thin scrap strips to the these to build them up, but more on that when its done.

The instructions make no mention of some deck former beams that need to go on before the upper deck, the only reference is on the side plan - I nearly missed them.  When in position there is clearly a problem because the beams will interfere with the open companions, once again the plans clearly show this issue.  Simple to cut out the center section without any real structural implications, the ones remaining will be hidden by gratings.  You can also see in the picture that I glued some thin beech off cuts where the two halves will join to provide some surface to mate the deck surfaces smoothly.  Deck was glued in multiple stages, first half deck glued to center line, section half deck glued to center and mated, and then glued down to the bulkheads to give correct camber.

post-891-0-59144000-1416623932_thumb.jpg

Final result....completing the decking off the ship seems to have worked out just fine.

post-891-0-85983000-1416624064_thumb.jpg

post-891-0-08321500-1416624691_thumb.jpg

Size comparison to Snake which is still laid up....Jason will be a big boy!

post-891-0-77193500-1416624059_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Seriously good looking decking there Jason. Love it. Your off the ship method has worked - I'll try that in the future as I can see the advantages and no downsides to be detected. Are you going to do treenailing? (You might have answered that before...)

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Your deck planking is great Jason !!!!!!

Funny question....no cannons on the gun deck ??????

Or can you remove the upper deck.....

Sjors

Looks The Business Mate.. the size difference is amazing between the two.

Eamonn

Sorry for not dropping a word in sooner, though I've been in the following quietly in the background  :P

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Now That really gives a scale for our various Builds.. Good Stuff ! Jeeez Ballahoo is TINY !!   :D  Maybe she is just really far away.. even though she is in front !! must be an optical illusion (that's my story and I'm sticking to it, cos I know for deffo that Ballahoo is HUGE  ^_^ )

In Denial.. 

Eamonn  

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Cheers Eamonn, Jim, BE, Stergios and the 'likes' for the interest and kind words.  I tried to superimpose 'Ballyhoo' on 'Jason' but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Sjors - don't worry, there will be guns on this deck (eventually).  But I believe the deck is more commonly referred to as the upper deck on a frigate (even though it has one above it...and also has guns!), although I do seem to recall seeing reference to a gun deck as well somewhere.  Maybe someone else can speak definitively on this.

Alistair - it did work out OK.  I split the false deck down the center line first (the grain introduces a little error here), and then taped them back together on the back side.  The 2 innermost planks were glued in place on each half and then separated so that I knew they would marry up properly during final assembly.  An unexpected issue was that the deck did tend to cup a little, probably a combination of humidity changes here as well as the glue under the planks shrinking a little.  It was easily manageable, but you can see a slightly larger gap at the extreme ends where there weren't any bulkheads under the deck to force the camber.  As for treenails, I don't feel any compulsion to do them, but, I will have plenty of time to change my mind.

Have managed to install the interior bulwarks this weekend, small 0.5mm slivers of scrap were used to build up some of the worst offending bulkheads to remove major waviness.  These haven't been sanded yet but overall pretty pleased, any remaining small waviness should be pretty easy to sand out.  The bow section seems to have come out OK with extending the planking past bulkhead 5.  Most miraculously, the bulwarks do seem to follow the line of the margin planks, so a big 'phew' there.  Although not entirely symetrical, this will not be seen once the foc'sle is on  :(  Also cut slots for the skid beams as it seems to be a lot easier to do now, these aren't mentioned until page 9 of the instructions.

Now the interior bulwarks rare in place, the rest of the bulkheads can be faired as the extensions are much too thin and delicate to be able to shape without additional support.

post-891-0-03399700-1416795311_thumb.jpg

post-891-0-77521800-1416796448_thumb.jpg

post-891-0-16180800-1416795320_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Beautifully done deck Jason.  What wood is that?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Jason that is one beautiful piece of deck planking. 

The bulwarks are coming along very nicely as well. She looking real good mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mike - the deck is maple, the bulwarks use the kit supplied 'lime wood'.  Its pretty nice to work with, think it is very similar to basswood but is a trifle 'yellower' but that doesn't really show in the photos (at least the stuff I got is).

Sjors - the deck already has a single coat of polyurethane for protection, I'm waiting to get the other messy steps out of the way before coming back to put a few more coats on.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Planking has started, this will be a lengthy process....

I started at the keel to get going, will move up to the upper section and work down in due course.  Even though I had shaped the bulkheads, I'm trying to fine tune as I go as it isn't until a few planks start going on that emphasize deviations, and the hull lines becomes much clearer to me as the surface grows.   

post-891-0-62225000-1417399063_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Nice start on the planking Jason. Looks like you have a great base there to work from. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Nice work Jason.  Very clean first planking!

Are you going to copper her (or is it a him)?

Mike