dafi

HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

By contrast to what Lil´Wife says, the dafi is teachable.

In deed!

This time the deck beams for the fore castle are prebent :-)

Victory-forecastle_2047.jpg

A simplified deck pattern, looks good immediately.

Victory-back_2048.jpg

Still found some material for two rows of planking ...

Victory-back_2049.jpg

... and the two small scuttles that can be seen on the 1765 model.

Victory-focastle_2051.jpg

XXXDAn

In March 2012 I did the fore top to try out the first material for the nettings.

And also a small provocation. I placed the lantern not in the main top but in the fore top as indicated by Lavery as Nelson was only Vice Admiral. But by now I have enough contemporary sources that indicate the "classical" version.

By now it was time to do the two missing tops. Also I was using the new netting that I deliver together with my etch parts. 

So I did the wire frame, glued the netting onto it, brushed the paint onto the material and sticked it into place.

Victory_fighting-tops_2057.jpg

To get the length of the holding line I used a tooth pick and a cheap thread :-)

And then, the surprise, the new netting appears even thinner than the old material, an effect that I liked a lot.

Victory_fighting-tops_2061.jpg

Victory_fighting-tops_2062.jpg

And yes, that is why the old netting had to go. And in the box with the discarded parts we go :-)

Victory_fighting-tops_2065.jpg

XXXDAn

PS: And yes, the opportunity was taken to bring back the lantern onto the main top :-)

mmm....disappointing.... we expected destruction in proper Dafi-style :)

But the new netting is definitely better than the old one. What material is it?

Jan

Yes, completely.

I was affarid that you would not model nelsons place of death.

Would be an ommision to this otherwise great build :)

Jan

this is a very interesting thought.   have you given any though to it?   I have something here I thought you might enjoy 

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/lordnelson.htm

wonderful bit of progress Daniel.....great way to make belaying pins  ;)    the netting was a scary moment.......I thought to myself  "boy,  Daniel doesn't need little ones or animals around.......he's his own worst enemy!"............but you proved once again,  that there is a method to your madness.  this is why I enjoy watching your build.......you add so much to it  :)     the above entry..........don't read a lot into it.   your such a whiz at dioramas,  when Jan made the comment,  it was the first thing that came to mind.   there is a picture there.......it would be interesting to see your interpretation of it.

@ Jan

This is material to do with flower decorations, parcels, wedding dresses and this kind of stuff. A forum mate in the german forum found it and I got a whole role for use with my etch parts.

@ Thank you popeye :-)

But I think that would be too emotional for me ;-)

The belaying pins are on base of Phillip Reed, always worth to have a close look at his technics.

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Thank you Sirs!

As a small sign of life, I did some parts that look easier than the way I wanted them to do :-)

The gunwale from fo´castle to waist, the on-molded partners needed to be replaced. In P. they have to rolls for some running rigging incorporated, so that was a "wannahavethat2" ...

...ok, once in the mind, never to leave again.

Victory_161001_2052.jpg

Made a green master, that far that good, but ...

Victory-161027_2454.jpg

... to get 2 fitting holes into that thin structure proved quite a task. Some pre drilling in 0,25 mm and finalizing with 0,3 mm and the holes were through ...

Victory-161109_2561.jpg

... and still fitting a base underneath the circular section that houses the spare spars ...

Victory-161112_2568.jpg

... and then the exciting moment ...

Victory-161120_2657.jpg

... of the mock rigging, and it worked, the rope went through.

Victory-161120_2658.jpg

XXXDAn
Edited by dafi

And following the disaster end of August I proudly declare that Captn Hardy ...

Victory-161113_2569.jpg

... has the ceiling of his cabin finally repainted  :-)

And the forecastle is done too :-) :-)

Victory-161113_2570.jpg

... and some more beauty shots from the kitchen  :-) :-) :-)

Victory-161112_2565.jpg

Victory-161112_2566.jpg

The pikes are only on one side of the mast as the main stay is passing on starboard.

XXXDAn