San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

Robbyn, they look great!!  -  I had actually forgotten this was a first...   can't really tell by looking at it.  But wow - what a first you will have under your belt!!

Excellent recovery, excellent progress, excellent ship.  (hmm, needs one more)..  Excellently done!!! :D

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hi Robbyn,

Thanks for the overview picture.

It looks great.

Don't change it.

You say it your self….it's a learning project.

Be proud of what you have done and be satisfied with it !

When i look at my Mirage …I know things can be better.

But that's for the next one.

We do our best and that is all we can do.

You have done the upper shroud and I still have to do it.

I hope I can do the same as you did with it.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Awww Robbyn, the curse of the San Fran continues in that we wanna be perfecter... your upper shrouds look fine, better than fine, they look good... and one step closer to completion.... just wait until i show my anemic little upper shrouds... -_- they seem ill but won't get ripped out... only forward from this point on... :P

Wow! Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I suppose we are all very critical of our own work. I look at so many beautiful builds on this site, and marvel at the detail and intricacies, but I bet if I asked the builder they would be quick to point out all the flaws. I spent some time just googling pics and in retrospect my upper shrouds are okay....

Keith as you said, to space them out any further would cause them to bow around the crow's nest and that is NOT how they should be. you are right the scale presents its own challenges...I think I would really like doing something on a larger scale!

Augie, I have been worried about you. I know you live in Colorado, but wondered if you were affected by all the flooding, I had assumed since I saw you continuing to post that you were not. I saw your comments on Randy's log and see I was mistaken. Glad to know you and yours are all okay, but very sorry for your community. I hope everything comes out alright in the end. I am just floored by the amount of missing, and assume they are probably gone forever. I am flabergasted that in this day and age there could be such a devastating loss of life like this, and my heart goes out to all affected.

Jay, thanks much for the words of encouragement. You are correct, this log is representative of so much more than just a ship build! My hand has suddenly begun giving me fits as well, I wonder if it is weather related now that things are cooling off. I can see myself predicting drops in temperature now by the tingling in my hand :P

Popeye, I think you are right, once the yards and sails are up, they will hide much of the flaws that jump out at me right now. I am very much looking forward to seeing a completed ship!

Walter, thank you for that tip. I even have that bit for my dremel, silly me, I used it on the wood hull to start the holes for my gun ports, but never even considered using it on the metal C-nests....another lesson learned!

Adam, I appreciate the cheering up, much needed :D

Robert, thank you. I do believe the C-nest repair will hold. the intsta weld putty seems to have made a good bond.

Sjors, and Randy. the upper shrouds seem to be a different challenge. Partially because they are so much smaller, and because they seem less stable since the upper part of the mast if more fragile. I think that and the small size of those dead eyes makes it more difficult! I think after the Syren I will tackle and admiralty model...a break from all the string would be good :o

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Robbyn,

Great job on the rigging.  I agree, we all have to overlook the self-induced flaws our builds.  

When the time is right, the right dog will be there for you.  But sometimes, the right time is when we least expect it.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The Shrouds and rat lines are done post-127-0-13667500-1379904410.gif

Wow...I am finally moving onto new territory on this build :o

Now I need to find the instructions, I have no idea where I put them 6 months ago when i tore everything apart lol.

post-127-0-10736900-1379904324_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-72055900-1379904346_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

it might have slipped in the syren box while you where cheking out the contents ^_^

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

AL kit...you're better off without finding the instructions...they'll just tell you stuff that's wrong, leave key details out, or otherwise lead you astray! :P Seriously, congrats on the shrouds and rats--well done, and I hope the rest of the rigging goes smoothly for you!

Jay

Edited by JMaitri

Current Build:  Ariel

Congrats on the shrouds and rats.... post-76-0-82808500-1379911641.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

there you go.......perserverance paid off!    looks very good   believe it or not the most notorious kits for lost instructions are the Revell p-51 mustang 1:48,  the Heller victory {can't remember the scale}  and the Revell Cutty Sark 1:96.   I posted the instructions for the Cutty in one of my blogs a while ago....you would not believe how many hits it has!   should I include the A/L  S.F. 2 to my list?

nice job!.....now for the yards! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow, it's been a long road to get here but good on you, she looks great !

Steve

You have done it !!!!!!!!

Great job on the shrouds and ratlines.

And now on to the yard , spars, things that's somewhere on the masts…….

Adriaan know where your manual is…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

OMG, I found the instructions....I had forgotten just how horrid they are. Pretty much just says attach the sails to the yards and attach those to the masts....this should be fun....now where did I hide the plans for this build????

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hey, you have probably already survived 'plank the hull on both sides'.  You're almost at the finish line :)  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I have only seen a couple builds,  where folks said their plans were detailed to any degree.  the Billing's plans aren't that hot either,  but I have done enough of their kits,  and I have come to understand them pretty well.   I still wish they would illistrate the ship in different positions in the hull assembly process.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Congratulations Robbyn on reaching this major milestone - it's a mixture of satisfaction and relief to get to this point isn't it? :) You've met and overcome quite a few challenges to get to this point, so you should also be feeling very proud of yourself too!

Despite the poor kit instructions, don't rush the next part with yards and running rigging. Take your time and think it through, and it will all come together for you. You've already proved your ability to do this, and do it well.

I hope you find a new dog soon - they are such wonderful companions, regardless of breed. As Mark says though, sometimes the "right" time happens without us knowing it.

A bit of an update, albeit a small one.

Got the yards shaped

post-127-0-53488800-1380491720_thumb.jpg

Managed to get all the blocks attached to the yards...yowsa, I really need smaller fingers for this part :P

post-127-0-41548100-1380491742_thumb.jpg

now working on serving the final two stays, then it is time to check the plans for any other items that go on the masts and yards before I attach the sails.

Omg, I can't believe I am talking about attaching the sails :o Wow, I think there really is an end...a part of me feels a bit sad, but more of me feels a sense of completion and is ready to move on and finish that little longboat so I can have a clear desk to begin the Syren...ugh plank bending is in my near future again :huh:

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

2mm blocks!!!!   wish I had some for my Gothenborg.......that's some nice detail in itself!  ;)     you need to finish this.......this was your ship of turmoil........your marriage.....the house........starting school,  not to mention,  the problems you faced with her build.  through it all,  you managed to build a fine looking ship.......but your focus took a hit...ie,  the problems.   now that the smoke has cleared,  you need to get into a 'post turmoil' build......one you can build in happier times......and work with comfort and leasure.  most of all,  you'll think with a clearer head.......catching these problems before they even start.

I know it seems sad.......but you will find that they ALL do that.........the finish of all build,  have that melancholy feel ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You reckon YOU need smaller fingers, how do you think I get on? When I buy gloves I need to find extra large!

Looking good Robbyn and I know what you mean about the end being in sight and feeling a bit sad but there is another waiting for you and another after that and neither will give you the grief this one did!

Steve

don't worry Robbyn that bit of sadness goes away when you start on your new project :)

very nice looking yards :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Wow Robbyn, you're nearing that finish line rapidly and those yardarms look nice and tapered  :)  Oh dear me tho... those fiddly little bits in the second photo... ugggg  :mellow:  

Sadness, perhaps a bit cause she is your first but I think RELIEF will be the emotion of the day in a very short time. I'm not buzzing along as effectively... it seems there are about a million things pulling me away from the shipyard of late.... ah well... such is life.... in time I'll get back to it...  ^_^

What's that strange howling sound I hear.... I believe it is the Syren calling... B)   

“A bit of an update, albeit a small one.  Got the yards shaped

Managed to get all the blocks attached to the yards...”

I don’t know but I wouldn’t call that update “small”.  I call it fine work.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks guys, this step really does seem like a major milestone. Perhaps it is because the instructions in the book basically stop here and just say attach sails and yards according to drawings....lol, what a mess.

Sewed 2 sails on last night, so far everything seems to scale on the yards themselves, perhaps a bit on the smallish side, but not too out of whack. I won't know for sure until everything is on the ship and I can get a good look at it.

Trying to make heads or tails out of all the string in the plans is frustrating, I have no working knowledge of running rigging at all, so at the moment it just appears to be a tangled bunch of string on paper. Maybe once I get going on that part it will begin to make sense to me..

And yes, I do hear the call of the Syren....

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

The last of the ship's rigging and fitting the sails I found really a disaster, I have considered several times to stop the construction.

I finally put through and it's still come to a good end.

I'm sure that will succeed you this.

I will post the last picture maybe you can use some.

post-13-0-80899200-1380564953_thumb.jpg

Robert

Current builds:
Prins Willem - Corel
H.M.S. Victory - Deagostini

Complete Project: San Fransisco II Artesania. / King of the Mississippi Artesania