IJN Musashi by cog - Tamiya - 1:350 - PLASTIC - old tool

Besides having been a major nuisance to myself - debugging a program for bugs all week long - I have managed to accomplish some things on a more happy note. Sparkling PE :)

From parts to the full fledged thing a ma jig ... nearly forgot, one of the two airplane catapults ... (why didn't they use those for boats, much faster launching!)

IMG_2725.thumb.jpg.a05ab357f0e2374b80ecd95ad758666e.jpgIMG_2726.thumb.jpg.20a3b72872b9f899ddf10245b9a75ebc.jpgIMG_2730.thumb.jpg.f241ff83f9bf60acd4f0ea3ea690c7a6.jpgIMG_2734.thumb.jpg.c69b66ba64111e499162fb7adb4229f2.jpgIMG_2735.thumb.jpg.ada15ef77aafa4243f444af59fa4e819.jpg

Had a lovely Dutch sky Yesterday (just around the corner ...)

IMG_2711.thumb.jpg.249dc1367c9e516a3e7f5337c0e42dbb.jpg

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Those pics look familiar mate - nice bending work by the way.  You are slowly getting there :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

single serving?                                                         

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Pat,

Thanks, you put your finger on the sore spot: Slowly. In the end I'll get here ;)

Sam,

Hadn't thought about that ... flying apple pie :)

Dennis,

If there is left, you can get another helping ... it's a pitty it takes 3.5 to 4 hours to make ... it seems I like it slow ;):)

Carl

Your PE work looks great Carl. I now also know how trying it can be. I'm working on a 1:350 scale Dutch WW II sub. No, no build log yet, not enough time to start one and may have a problem setting it up.

Sorry to hear about your back, no fun :(

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

11 hours ago, dadodude said:

Your PE work looks great Carl. I now also know how trying it can be. I'm working on a 1:350 scale Dutch WW II sub. No, no build log yet, not enough time to start one and may have a problem setting it up.

Sorry to hear about your back, no fun :(

Cheers,

Hello Piet!

Long time no read my friend. Building another sub!!! You are becoming our deep sea guru! Anything special, or still a BIG secret? Thanks for passing by

44 minutes ago, src said:

LOL! Now that sounds like a song name. How is the back?

Sam

I thought it rather mistifying ... or should I say blurring ...

The back is a lot better, I wish I could be tortured a bit longer by that lovely physiotherapist. She had a good hand in manipulating muscle tissue! I can twist and shout again, not as supple as 30 years ago, but movement without pain is back ;)

Nearly ready to prime the hull ...

I found that using a piece of thin brass rod works far better to apply CA than a touthpick. You can burn off any build up glue from it with a lighter, which is very practicle!!!

Carl

just be careful of the fumes......they can't be good ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

4 hours ago, cog said:

Hello Piet!

Long time no read my friend. Building another sub!!! You are becoming our deep sea guru! Anything special, or still a BIG secret? Thanks for passing by

I thought it rather mistifying ... or should I say blurring ...

The back is a lot better, I wish I could be tortured a bit longer by that lovely physiotherapist. She had a good hand in manipulating muscle tissue! I can twist and shout again, not as supple as 30 years ago, but movement without pain is back ;)

Nearly ready to prime the hull ...

I found that using a piece of thin brass rod works far better to apply CA than a touthpick. You can burn off any build up glue from it with a lighter, which is very practicle!!!

These little paper embossing tools work fantastic for precision placement of super glue. The little ball on the end of the tool allows you to place a tiny "dot" of glue just where you want it.

https://www.amazon.com/Styluses-Embossing-Pattern-Sculpting-Making/dp/B008UN6H10/ref=sr_1_4?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1494009053&sr=1-4&keywords=embossing+tools+for+paper

Embossing tool.jpg

Looking great  - some fine work going on.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

Back is hurtung less. Worked from home, which saved me the drive by car. Primed the hull ... unfortunately I can go back to the workbench, and pull some finer grained sandpaper from the stack. That'll have to wait till next week though.

Carl

A tour in Marine Corps, never hurt my back. Seven years of boxing, never hurt my back. Years of high level football, never hurt my back. Years of lifting all sorts of very heavy objects at work, never hurt my back.

A kids birthday party, while grilling hamburgers and hotdogs, our little puppy walked behind my feet while I was stepping backward. Tried to avoid stepping on the pup and awkwardly fell backward but caught myself and no damage done...or so I thought until the next morning when I could not get up out of bed and had to crawl to my car to go to a doctor. 

The moral of the story, you can do extremely hard. heavy work all your life and a five pound puppy can end up wrecking your back. :huh: Go figure.

Hope you get that back straightened out, Carl. I know first hand what a painful aggravation it can be.

Greg, he's gone on holiday to Stockholm. Don't think he took any comms/computers.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

As Ken said. Have been off the air. Just got back ... pfff sore feet and shins, and a mind full of images :) Pictures of Musashi ... first need to get rid of my nagging employer. Even a long weekendoff  seems to much to them!!!

Carl

Welcome back Carl, hope Stockholm was all you hoped and that your back continues to improve.  Look forward to your updates.

cheers

Pat

Pat! Back from Canada?

Stockholm was much more. Besides, I had a tremendous good guide on Saterday afternoon and Sunday. Mike showed me a lot of pearls, and I can't wait to go back  to do some further exploring!!! Back has improved a lot. Hardly feel it anymore. Maybe walking through Stockholm did the trick, if so I'll get my physician to write me a recurring prescription to go there ;)

Carl

welcome back Carl!  glad to hear your mind and back are doing better :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I am on my way home Carl, a couple of days to go :)   Glad to hear your back is improved -  if your doctor is inclined, can he write me one of those prescriptions also ;)

cheers

Pat

Thanks Denis.

Pat,

If he does, I'll have one for you too ;) Could go simultaneously :)

Greg,

Finding WiFi is not the point, getting entrance to the network is a lot harder. Luckily I'm back home now. unfortunately, I've been working my hiney off to get a major software release finished ... not much building or spraying

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Much detail and fiddliness Carl, I don't know how you do it so neatly, nicely done.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks, Jason. I have a good example/teacher in Greg (RGL)

Hope to get some things done next week. Got the entire week off, i.e. work, which doesn't mean I may find myself lost in other horendous chores ... where there is hope ...

Carl