Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Thanks for the nice words Rusty. Thanks also to the "likes".

Rusty, I'm sure you'd agree that one of the nicest things about this hobby is that the enjoyment of doing so much of the work far outweighs whether anyone will ever be able to see it later.

Bob

That looks old fashion good Bob !

And it is just what Rusty is saying,You and 10.000 members of MSW is knowing that it is there :D .

But is that not with the whole build when it is finished?

A lot of stuff you don't see it but it is there.

That's why we are taking pictures.

When someone is seeing the model for the first time, you can show them the pictures to see what they don't see at the model at that moment.

And the comment you've got then is WOW !!!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

Fabulous work Bob!I like it a lot.I think leaving select areas of the deck unplanked will be a great idea.My bible on the subject is 'Navy Board Ship Models 1650-1750'by John Franklin ISBN 0-85177-454-7.I bought my copy around 15 years ago,but I find it one of my best reference books.He discusses at great length(with some good drawings) the construction used in these models.There are many examples of how planking is omitted and there are a few ways to do it so it looks right.If you do not have the book already,I thoroughly recommend it to you,or any one else reading this who is thinking of going down route.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks so much Sjors and Nigel. 

Nigel, I"ve had the book for years, as well, and it's always been a favorite.

Bob

I thought you may have Bob ;) Read and reread my copy several hundred times

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I decided to attack the stern exterior next, beginning with the stern transom and then moving to the quarter galleries.

The transom work was relatively straight forward. I used the laser cut transom piece, which was a little distorted in shape and required some correction to make it symmetrical. After painting it black, I made the various moldings from boxwood strip, wet heat bending those pieces that required it. I chose to leave the moldings natural wood. I then added two pieces of scrollwork from the PE sheet in the kit, which I painted white. They didn't match the plans, because it turns out that an early "test" sheet was included in my kit. This is of no concern to me because no one knows what it looked like anyway. Of more concern was that the sheet contained no lettering to do the Essex name. As a result, I used some decal lettering from my model railroad days.

The quarter galleries are next. These will be largely, if not entirely, scratch built.

Bob

post-186-0-69403900-1392212758_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-31743900-1392212779_thumb.jpg

Looks great Bob.  Nice job coming up with the letters for the name.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Bob -- I just read through your log, and felt like I was reading an old novel about Overcoming Adversity to Win the Prize!  My jaw dropped at the sight of the cabin furniture, and I have to express my great admiration for your overall skill. 

Can't wait to see more.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Great stuff Bob all round. I look forward to seeing your gallery build. Love the cabin details - wonderful joinery.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

It's now time to tackle the quarter galleries. Sam had been kind enough to provide me with resin castings to replace the kit metal castings, but I decided to go ahead and scratch build the entire assembles from boxwood. After completing the port side gallery, I'm happy with my choice. It was mostly fun and I like the look of it.

The only non-scratch parts that I used were the window frames, which are the laser cut kit pieces. As can be seen from the photos, I worked progressively , first adding some counter planking, then the moldings and filler pieces below the windows, then the parts for the window framing and finally the upper and lower finishing parts. It was all pretty straight forward, except for the lower finishing, which has a variety of complex curves and was the cause for considerable foul language before I got it to fit. Hopefully, it will go easier on the second try.

The trick now is to duplicate, as closely as possible, all this work on the starboard side.

Bob

post-186-0-87392100-1392551608_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-03698300-1392551640_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-20751700-1392551671_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-78420500-1392551699_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-97823200-1392551728_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-53941600-1392551760_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-32568200-1392551786_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Really nice job.

You're absolutely correct - the "trick" will be duplicating it on the other side. That was one of the reasons why I went with a cast gallery.

There is a certain "weight" and symmetry to the galleries that gives them their appeal. Asking a builder to get it right once is passable but twice on the same boat in this small scale is a tall order. One I'm certain you're up to.

I didn't feel comfortable leaving it as the only option. I figured that really skilled builders would undertake it on their own and put their own "touches" on it.

Sam

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

If anyone can handle a tall order it's Bob!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very nice Bob and I'n sure there will be a mirror image of the starboard side!

No pressure ;) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nicely done Bob, I don't think this will present you with a problem, your skills are up in the stratosphere.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

The starboard gallery is now done. While not exactly the same as the port side, I think it's pretty close. Prior to attaching the port side pieces, I had used them as templates to lay out the corresponding starboard pieces. Because of the almost inevitable small differences in hull shape etc., the parts still required fitting, but all went relatively smoothly. Even the lower finishing, which was still the trickiest part, was a lot easier the second time around.

I'm still debating with myself over what to do next.

Bob

post-186-0-23774500-1392897744_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-40586900-1392897768_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-41872800-1392897788_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-79516700-1392897811_thumb.jpg

Amazing cabin! Are you going to put "checkerboard" canvas over the cabin planks? I'm not sure if american ships did this though. Do you plan to have a removeable poop deck or other access, or just peek in through the windows?

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Very nice Bob,

You are saying that the gallery on starboard side is a little different then the port side.

How do you see that ?

You are running around her ?

Or do you using a mirror ?

It looks really great !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif