Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

The cannons look great Bob. I may follow in your footsteps and order some aftermarket items when I start on my Connie.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

A busy few days have resulted in my first work at the fore end of the ship. The items made and added are the hawse holes (inner end), the bolsters and bucklers, the manger, a scuttle, the bowsprit bitts and the fore riding bitts.

I decided to do the inner part of the hawse holes to allow me to do the other interior work at the bow. I won't do the outer part until I'm ready to do the exterior bow work, such as the knees and head work. The bolsters above and below the hawse holes were cut and shaped from boxwood sheet, using the kit parts as rough templates. The bucklers were cut to fit from boxwood strip.

The manger boards and supports were made from boxwood strip and shaped to fit the bulwark contours.

I made the scuttle coaming from boxwood  strip and the grating from the laser cut kit part, as I had with the various hatches previously made. The fore riding bitts were made from boxwood with a piece of pear for the face of the crosspiece. Ringbolts were added to the standards. The bowsprit bitts were done with boxwood strip. In order to do the the bowsprit bitts, I cut a piece to represent the forecastle deck beam to which they are fitted and also cut a piece of dowel to represent the bowsprit. The last two photos show these fitted in place temporarily.

All of the boxwood parts were finished with Wipe-on Poly. The bitts were pinned and glued to the deck.

Bob

post-186-0-23575700-1394194705_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-16729000-1394194732_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-57079000-1394194754_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-49111000-1394194780_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-78037900-1394194807_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-43165700-1394194835_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-89344200-1394194858_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-97962700-1394194877_thumb.jpg

Bob, that looks amazing. I'm assuming you are going to leave some spar deck planking off to show that wonderful detail?

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

What can I say?  Pristine, as always.  I really like the manger boards.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very, very fine work Bob,

I love the Details and the accuracy you put into your woodwork

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Fabulous work Bob B)  B) I think you must be overdue a post in latest full profile picture as we keep seeing snippets,go on spoil us with a full length shot,she must be looking pretty amazing by now ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Sweet work, Bob.  Are you putting the poly on before you install the part?  Or after it's installed?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Bob

Aside from "Like This" I must say that is incredible work. As per my comment on MSW version 1 - it is very Rafined. Love it, keep it up and I look forward to more.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Mark, B.E., Sjors and Alistair for the very generous praise. I owe so much to the inspiration, teaching and assistance provided by you guys and the MSW community. We all profit greatly from our participation.

Mark, the poly is applied after the parts are completed, but before they are installed. I try to keep the mating surface clean or sand it before gluing. I also use pins to increase the strength of the bond whenever any stress will be applied to the part.

Bob

Very nice Bob. This is one of the parts of the build I enjoy the most.

Looking forward to seeing more! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nice to see some of the deck fixtures coming together - beautiful work!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thanks Hamilton for your continuing interest.

I have now built the stove, but will not mount it until sometime later in construction to avoid damage to this very delicate little piece. Since the stove is painted, I chose to use the basic kit pieces to assemble it. I did a number of the details with non-kit items. For example, I used very thin styrene to do the various doors, a couple of very small bulls eyes I had for the pulleys and some tiny (40 links per inch) chain to connect the pulleys. Doing this piece almost convinced me that my aging eyes and hands need to work in larger scales. Still very enjoyable, but getting very difficult.

Next, I will start to mount and rig the first few guns.

Bob

post-186-0-20652900-1394537077_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-68594700-1394537119_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-22353000-1394537155_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-38376800-1394537185_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-06091000-1394537210_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-01071800-1394537234_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-92785100-1394537260_thumb.jpg

That's amazing Bob. The penny really gives some perspective on the size of that little marvel.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Thanks so much Patrick, Dirk, Terry and the "likes". 

I have a question that I hope someone can help with. Would the stove have been mounted on a brick base or on a metal base or some combination of them?

Terry, it's hard for me to answer your question. I have no idea what will happen with the kit at the ME end. If the necessary corrections actually get made, you would probably be better off waiting. On the other hand, if that's not going to happen, or if you're willing to endure the frustrations and problems caused by incorrect parts and plans, go ahead and give it a go. There were times that it wasn't much fun. Although I'm glad now that I worked through it, there were  a lot of times when I thought of trashing the whole thing.

Bob

Beautiful work, Bob.  Concerning the base for the caboose (Galley stove), according to TFEP - page 224, the following is extracted from the description of the Caboose (Galley stove):

"...4 large Screw'd Bolts & nutts for fixing the Hearth to the deck - A Cast Iron additional bottom for the Hearth to Stand upon, instead of Stone Paving, with Bearers under do which gives Water Passage under the Whole by which means the Deck can be always kept Cool & free from danger..."

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

thanks for the comments.  haven't heard a word from ME whether they are going to make corrections.  I wonder if Sam knows?

Stopped after completing the bulkheads; and I think they're correct as near as I can tell.  Are others proceeding?  Sort of disappointing.

My limited knowledge leads me to believe the stoves were mounted on a brick base.

Nice today in Stuart.  Too nice to work anymore on the ECB.

Cheers,

Terry

Lovely work on the stove, Bob.   Looks like it's ready to take a load of salted beef and dried peas.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys for the nice words and "likes".

Thanks for the info Wayne. That description helps to make sense of drawings I've seen. I assume that the "Bearers" are wooden beams.

Mark, It would be ready if I could do the pots and pans like Remco, but at this size I'm not sure that I could see them, no less make them.

Bob

Bob,

No need for pots and pans.  Those two lids on top are for the kettles..... :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

If you look at the Hackett draught, you will notice a second capstan, called a 'fore-jeer capstan" just aft the fore mast. I must admit that I'm not sure exactly why it was needed when there was a perfectly good double captan just a few steps aft. But it was always placed on an open deck on English ships, and I once read that it was used to haul heavy bits aloft. Its' presence is evidence that the Essex wore only a traditional, narrow removable gangways when launched, not the wide spar deck gang ways shown in the PDF above. We do know that she received a built-up modern gangways in 1809, i.e. a flush spar deck,  when Josiah Fox relaunched her. And she did not have a spar deck as late as 1807 when measurements taken off that year referred to a separate forecastle and quarterdeck. When she finally did receive her wide gangways, they were flush with the quarterdeck and forecastle, not stepped down as Portia Takakjian drew them. In 1799, her narrow gangways were stepped down - just as the Frigate Hancock's or Raleigh's would have been. When she finally gained her flush modern spar deck, as Naval Architect William Baker noted to have been "some time after 1807", she also lost her sweet decorative scroll at the break of the quarterdeck. She would have lost her fore jeer capstan as well. Her top timbers amidships would have had to have been raised, in order to support a spar deck clamp. So that must rule out any modifications earlier than 1809. Common sense would dictate that a step down permanently-fixed wide gangways would serve no purpose, other than to inhibit rolling the chase guns fore and aft.

The fore jeer capstan was a very old fashioned piece of equipment, like a lateen rigged mizen mast was, but the Essex was considered a old school ship belonging to a previous generation. And PCF Smith theorized in his TFEP that she had been built to the model of the old 1778 Continental Frigate Alliance of the Revolution, as William Hackett had built them both. We'll never know because no plans survive of the Alliance. But I digress ...