Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

I've now completed the quarter deck framing at the aft end and finished it with Wipe-on Poly. This was done as a unit off the model as I had done with the forecastle deck. As with the forecastle, the beams, carlings and ledges are boxwood strip and the knees were cut from cherry sheet. Of course the beams had been fitted on the model and the spacing measured before the off model construction proceeded.. The photos show the deck framing in place, but it is not permanently installed yet. That won't happen until I attach lines for the main lower yard sheets to the bulwark cleats that will be impossible to reach once the decking is in place. I can't do that until I figure out the sizing for the rigging. That's a tedious job that I've started, but is a long way from done.

In the meanwhile, in my haphazard fashion, I'm going to move on to some work on the exterior hull for a bit.

Bob

post-186-0-61823200-1396958252_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-30909900-1396958276_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-13864100-1396958300_thumb.jpg

Bob,

She is looking awsome! Just a thought, have you considered doing some internal lighting with flickering leds? It might really set off all that internal detail you are doing.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Thanks so much Dirk, Ken and the"likes". 

Dirk, with just a little modification, you could have the first Syren with a quarterdeck  :D.

Ken, I actually did think about it -- but only briefly, because I'm an electrical buffoon.

Bob

Thanks Nigel for your continuing interest and kind comments. My current intention is to do enough planking on the center line to mount the capstan, the wheel, the binnacle and any rigging attachments at the masts and enough other planking to mount guns on one side. We'll see how it turns out.

Bob

Very nice work on the Quarterdeck framing Bob. She just keeps looking better every day.

Bob,

I can't add to what everyone else said... It just flat looks fantastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Time for some work on the exterior hull. The first items that I made and installed were the fenders and chesstrees. These were made from boxwood strip and sanded to shape and to fit the hull contour. Next, I added some black painted molding on a line above the gunports. I prefer to install the molding in pieces between the fenders and chesstrees, rather than notching those pieces to fit over the molding. Then, I made and installed the entry steps. These were done with pear strip cut to size and filed to shape. All of this work was done on both sides of the hull.

I was enjoying this, so I decided to do some gunport lids as well. I made up and installed five lids on the starboard side. The exterior of the lids was made up of pieces of boxwood to match the hull planking. The recessed interior was done with thinner wood and painted red to match the gunport linings. The hinges are from the kit photoetch sheet. Lastly, I added eyebolts. The lids were pinned and glued to the hull for strength.

I'm tempted to continue on with the channels and more lids, but may also return to more guns and quarter deck framing. I'll decide today.

Bob

post-186-0-47105700-1397309931_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-71094500-1397309960_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-86845700-1397310037_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-52365800-1397310064_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-49824800-1397310091_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-84189700-1397310113_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-44820300-1397310143_thumb.jpg

Double eyebolts on the gun ports ...... interesting. 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie, that's the way they are shown on both Sam's kit plans and  the AOTS drawings.

Thanks Dirk.

Rich, I try to use pins wherever there is stress or (as here) there is danger of damage. 

Bob

Hi Bob. Great work as always!  :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hey Bob -

Your work is amazing.  I learn valuable techniques every time I visit your build log.  I only wish I could do a tenth as good... Thanks for sharing.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Thanks  Rusty, Nigel, Gary and Ben. Thanks also to the "likes". I really appreciate the interest and the generous comments.

Nigel, I only jump around on one build at a time. You are amazing in going around on multiple builds at once.

Bob

While working on the next batch of guns, I decided to make the lower main capstan, the first of three capstans that will be done. As with the other deck items, I chose to make the capstan from boxwood strip and sheet. It was a very enjoyable piece to make, with the exception of the 16 tiny chocks that had to be individually fitted between the whelps. Very fiddly work, but satisfying to get it done.

The guns are well along and should be mounted and rigged in the next few days.

Bob

post-186-0-03907500-1397594619_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-73736900-1397594642_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-08711200-1397594672_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-07865600-1397594698_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-70714700-1397594720_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-92744100-1397594742_thumb.jpg

Your capstan looks great! Very nicely done! You are setting the bar pretty high for every following Essex builder!  :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Very nice looking capstan Bob. I'm envious of how clean you get the edges of your wood pieces to look.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks so much Thomas and Patrick and also the "likes".

Thomas, I only hope that the kit problems get resolved and that there are other Essex builders.

Patrick, the clean edges are the product of using boxwood. It really makes a difference.

Bob

Tim, with some limited exceptions ( the laser cut gratings, window frames, transom, rudder and stem), all visible wood has been, and will be, replaced with boxwood, holly and some pear. The lower hull (covered in copper) was planked with kit basswood. The framing was done with kit plywood parts and basswood.

Bob

Rich, the steps were not pinned.

Tim, I don't know whether ME has made the necessary corrections to the kit yet, or what they are sending out now. I would inquire if I were you. I ,like a number of others on this site, get my wood from Hobbymill. There is a link to the website on this  site.

Bob