yvesvidal

Amati and Chris Watton

713 posts in this topic

Krick 1995 1/78, was that the predecessor of the Jokika caldercraft 1/72

Hi Kevin,

No, it was a commission for Krick, who was at the time, a German distributer. It was just a bog-standard Panart kit. This was 6 years before I started to design the 72nd scale Victory (I left before the model was finished, but most of the designs were already done, IIRC). I didn't design Diana until 1998, which was the first wooden kit.

I love the Brit term "Bog-Standard". I worked for an American Chemical Company with a Newcastle UK plant. This phrase cropped up frequently from the locals. Once the Yanks all found out the meaning of the phrase, it became a favorite part of our lexicon. You haven't fully experienced life until you hear a University of Alabama engineering grad say "bog standard" (Roll Tide!). I wholeheartedly subscribe to your use of resin castings versus metal. They are better than any metal ones I have seen in almost every way. "Watton Victory Model frenzy" continues to build!!

Best

Jaxboat

mtaylor, Bettina, Canute and 3 others like this

Since Chris is back again can I just ask if the fife fishing boat is coming out at some point?

It's one of those models that have really stuck with me for some reason.

Canute, mtaylor, Kevin and 1 other like this

Since Chris is back again can I just ask if the fife fishing boat is coming out at some point?

It's one of those models that have really stuck with me for some reason.

It should be, I finished that ages ago! I will ask next week.

I also took a lot of photos of the stern, and added them into my CAD program. I then scaled the pictures to 64th and traced around the decoration, so it should be as accurate as it can be, with all parts the correct sizes and shapes (at least, for the decoration on the stern on the Victory as she is now..)

Chris, I was re-reading your post and then saw that you had written this. The picture you are commenting on is the 1765 Victory, pre-refit, with the open galleries. You loaded this into your CAD program? Why? If you are contemplating offering a 1765 option kit for your HMS Victory, I would be very intrigued! Please say this is so! 

WackoWolf, Canute and marktiedens like this

I think he is referring to 'as it is now' because there is evidence that she is not like she was at Trafalgar. Wishful thinking for the 1765 option, that is something I have always wanted myself and would struggle to stop myself from buying.

Chris, I was re-reading your post and then saw that you had written this. The picture you are commenting on is the 1765 Victory, pre-refit, with the open galleries. You loaded this into your CAD program? Why? If you are contemplating offering a 1765 option kit for your HMS Victory, I would be very intrigued! Please say this is so! 

I am not offering the 1765 version of the kit. I don't think I have ever stated I was. The truth is that if that version was offered, no matter how much aesthetically pleasing it would look, it would not sell well enough to justify the extra development costs.

Anyway, I have been working on Prince, and while waiting for the new carvings to arrive, I made up the new spiral staircases. The old ones were Amati fittings, and each set was exactly the same. I designed the new sets to reflect the ones on the Science Museum contemporary model, with the correct number of steps and decoration for the side rails (laser cut and PE parts). Everything on the deck is dry-fitted only, and nothing is finished or varnished yet..

Prince%201_zpsys4c2cin.jpg

Prince%204_zpsw4z8kjh1.jpg

Prince%203_zpsg82nqugv.jpg

Prince%202_zpsydnqbeum.jpg

I do not know when Victory will be released, but I do know that Amati are working on it right now There is a lot of English text to translate..

Thank you!

Is this any update on the progress / release date for HMS Victory as I need to ensure I clear the space in the shipyard for the build.

Prince is 1:64 scale, same as Victory.

I do not know when Victory will be released, but I do know that Amati are working on it right now There is a lot of English text to translate..

WackoWolf, Canute and hollowneck like this

Chris: Just a quick check in with you on the Bellona. I assume with all that is on the go right now with you and Amati the Bellona is still on the back burner as far as a high priority for a kit?

Just thought I would ask.. :-)

Mike Draper

Good to see that the project is proceeding. I still have a few years left for my ongoing projects, but building the Prince from a high class kit is still my dream.

mtaylor and Canute like this

building the hms Victory, there`s good and bad in building this ship. the good is that the ship is still here and in dry dock in portsmouth,, the bad is that the ship is still here and in dry dock in portsmouth?????? do you follow the drawings or the remade ship at portsmouth, follow the drawings and you end up with a different ship?? build it like the one in portsmouth and you end up with a copy of a copy although thats the one everyone knows ??? so your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont. all the same Chris great job

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:48 PM, hollowneck said:

It's always fun to speculate on what's happening in new products with the foremost high-end European model ship kit manufacturer: here's mine.

I believe the ideal timing for Amati to release their 1:64 Victory will be next spring, possibly even later in 2017. It's likely that the content is more or less "ready-to-go" (including the shipping boxes and printing). However, if it isn't, by next year all the laser and P/E work should be completed. AFterall, Chris' prototype was amazingly aggressive in the sheer number of components and additional high-end detail. The model's instruction book and (extensive) plans (likely around 24-28 large prints) are likely completed (assuming Chris finished these up late last year).

My reason for this opinion on (delayed introduction) timing? Exhibit #1: We all know that this kit is going to be mucho dinero.

My best guess for a retail price (at today's currency rates): $1,200-1,400. We also know that Europe is still in crises of various sorts and the euro is steadily dropping against the world's reserve currency. My sense is that the euro will be at parity with the USD right after our Fall election cycle in the U.S. - and when the U.K.'s Brexit specifics are made clearer. There are other extenuating political instabilities to consider but we'll put these on another burner for now.

In other words, like many things in the world we are witnessing, business survival is as much about politics and relevant repercussions as it is about pure business reasoning and careful management.

As a retired businessman, It would make a lot of sense to me for Amati to plug this product into their growing Victory Models line-up but not until the international market improves and develops. The Revenge kit has been a success and it was hurried to market - but, it is only a $400 Kit. I suspect the high-end market WILL ACCEPT a $1K (USD) kit; but - a $1,200- 1,400 one - I'm not so convinced. A 10-15% drop in the value of the euro would put the Vic at right about $1,000 USD. The Sweet Spot. If I were Mr. Amati, I'd hold out for this inevitability. Also, don't forget that for most of Amati's customers, one needs to add about 20% to any street price to cover VAT (which is another reason I think the US market is an important one for Amati).

Does any of this speculation make sense to anyone else on the forum? I'd love to hear facts, like an announcement of when a launch is planned. But when facts are scarce, customers are entitled to speculate! B)

Ron

Dont agree Ron
If John at caldercraft is to be beleived they are selling between 20 and 30 Victories a MONTH at around 1000 USD. 850 UKP and 920 Euros.
This Victory of Chris's is far bigger and as such even if its the same quality will be 15-20% worth more and will get it.
I am building a Caldercraft one and would have waited for a 1/64th model as the detail you can get into things like the Gun Carriages will be more impressive
Just look at C Nepean Longridges 1:48 scale model (The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships to see what a difference size makes 

Must admit SElling it in two set would be agreat help (A bit like to original Billings kits 40 years ago) but unlikely to happen

mtaylor, Passer, Canute and 1 other like this

A bit of an American-centred view of the world, I think, Ron. The Euro may be falling against the Dollar, but, within the Eurozone there is no change. Why would you sell nothing to a market of 500 million while you are waiting for the exchange rate with a market of 300 million to turn in your favour? It doesn't make sense.