Awesome! Congratulations!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 1/18/2019 at 9:51 PM, chris watton said:

Thank you, Kevin. You're not too far away from us, too!

Pop over for a coffee, im in Bridgwater

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I know it doesn't look too exciting, especially when compared to what I have done (and am going to do), but this is the first plank laid on a model for almost a year, after convincing myself I never wanted to make another model again - much less starting my own range of kits!

The stern for this was a bit of a challenge, as it's so lightly built - and lightly built mean very fragile parts, more so for beginners. So things had to be 'beefed' up a little more than usual. The keel is not flat on this cutter but has a curve throughout the length. I added a very narrow notch on the bottom edge of the aft keel, to stop it slipping down on its cradle. Oh, and this cutter is around 25% larger than Lady Nelson (It has 10 x 6 pounder carriage guns and 10 x half-pounder swivel guns, which were drawn in CAD and 3-D printed)

Alert 2.jpg

Alert 3.jpg

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Looks exciting to me. The only issue I have is cutters are my favourite vessels and having built two and with Lady Nelson in stock I know I will want this as well. Alert is quite different to the other cutters available so perhaps the lady wife won't notice another.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

I am following this topic from beginning and am very glad that you are starting your own range of kits. Fantastic!

It is a real pleasure to watch model-kit in development. Keep up good work.

Simon

Current build:

Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston by Vanguard Models

Mercury by Victory Models - scale 1:64 - (99% scratchbuild) - on hold

Finished: Bluenose by Amati - scale 1:100

Mr. Watton, I am glad to see you are going outside the manufacturer line, and creating your own choice of "kits". Just like Mr. Passaro. I can see a line of potential customers for your products.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

On 1/22/2019 at 10:38 AM, Nirvana said:

Mr. Watton, I am glad to see you are going outside the manufacturer line, and creating your own choice of "kits". Just like Mr. Passaro. I can see a line of potential customers for your products.

If they haven't thought of it yet, @Chuck and Mr. Watton should think about either entirely merging or at least synergizing their operations, with Chuck supplying certain fittings/rigging line/wood upgrades etc. 

But a single model company with kits designed by Chuck and Chris? Sign me up :) 

Edited by vossiewulf

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

If they haven't thought of it yet, @Chuck and Mr. Watton should think about either entirely merging or at least synergizing their operations, with Chuck supplying certain fittings/rigging line/wood upgrades etc. 

But a single model company with kits designed by Chuck and Chris? Sign me up :) 

Single company led by Mr. Passaro and Mr. Watton? Sign me up too!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Or at least a joint venture to make each other’s kits more readily available in US and European markets to cut import costs and taxes, thereby increasing demand. Designed in one jurisdiction and manufacturered in the other under licence by the other party. You can only dream 😵😴😴

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while, but I have been busy.

I have almost completed the hull assembly for my version of Alert, I am now waiting for the castings to come back to me (cannon barrels, small winch drum, anchors etc.). I have made quite a few changes to the designs whilst building this.

Apart from the deadeyes, all the fittings are bespoke, which means that for once, the drum winch doesn't look out of place (or out of period..). The belaying pins are quite small on this model (following Goodwin's AotS book Alert, so I did those in PE. I have tried to make it as detailed as I can, while still being quite easy to fit together.

Am glad I chose Tanganika wood for the second planking (although would love cherry), as it gives the hull a 'warmer' look. I wanted to use this wood for the prototype of Pegasus, as I knew it would suite the overall look of the model much better, but unfortunately, someone else started the hull on that one..

Was apprehensive about putting these pics on here, as it's my first model I have done outside an external company, to eventually put on the market, and it's quite scary (buy also a little exciting..)

Alert hull 1.jpg

Alert hull 2.jpg

Alert hull 3.jpg

Alert hull 4.jpg

Alert hull 5.jpg

logo.jpg

Nicely done Chris!!  You are a quick builder. :D  Beautiful work and there is no reason at all to be hesitant or nervous about showing the images.

Chris,

Are you planning to mast and rig her?

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Thanks' guys! Ron, of course I shall mast and rig her. I just have to wait for the remaining castings to turn up (They have been 3-d printed and are now being cast in production moulds). These will be the 6 Pounder cannon barrels, the half-Pound swivel barrels, the octagonal drum winch (which I have used from a spare master for the prototype), anchors and little drum winch that fits in between the mast bitt posts.

I can certainly make a start on turning the mast, bowsprit and yards, though..

B.E. - had a look at your cutter thread today, great work!

logo.jpg

14 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

What scale will she be?

She is 1:64 scale, making overall dimensions (including masts/spars):

Length - 638mm

Height - 524mm

Width - 256mm

Hull length (without bowsprit) is around 377mm

I want to try and keep to 64th, no matter how large or small the subject

logo.jpg

Bravo, Chris! I love sails, especially ones that show these ships under glorious wind propulsion...

1/64 is the "sweet spot," IMHO a "perfect" scale for larger 18/19th- C sailing ships. Offering an optional full sail plan set is a good idea.

Keep Calm. And Carry On.;)

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

One thing I need to ask, is there anyone out there who can carve, either in tangible or digital form, the decoration shown in the attached pictures?

I have started to learn more about digital sculpting, but I feel these require a little more than what I could do and, as I intend it to be the 'flagship' of the range, I want them to look pretty good...

Royal George 4.jpg

Royal George stern.jpg

logo.jpg

very nice indeed

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

26 minutes ago, SpyGlass said:

Couple of things Chris -

Tanganika  - most of my experience with this wood is for deck planking in kits.

But I bought some stock when I wanted to try some "fancier" planking and found real trouble with the way it split along the grain - not an obvious choice for planking a hull to me - but you must know better !

The pics didnt really show her horizontal,  is the bow actually as high as the stern from the waterline?

But she looks beautiful

I know all too well the varying quality of Tanganika, I know I need to ensure I get the best quality, like the type I used for the Bellona model. I find walnut a little too dark for a lot of hulls. It is fine for the 16th and 17th centuries, but a lighter hull looks a lot nicer when it's an 18th Century ship, more so when the upper worked are painted in blues, blacks or reds. But I may be the only one that thinks that..

And yes, the bow is higher than the stern when resting at waterline level, in 64th scale, around 4.5mm higher.

logo.jpg

Hard to believe that's a kit, Chris.  Very well done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Completely agree regarding walnut being too dark, it also is not that nice a material to plank with. I would change it every time but it is getting replacement stock for the keel sections in other materials that has proved the problem. At least if you have to buy from a hobby stockist.

I have never liked Tanganika for the decks and have kept some to plank the hull on one of my future models as the colour looks far more suited to that.

Current Build(s):

Completed Builds:

32 minutes ago, Thunder said:

Completely agree regarding walnut being too dark, it also is not that nice a material to plank with. I would change it every time but it is getting replacement stock for the keel sections in other materials that has proved the problem. At least if you have to buy from a hobby stockist.

I have never liked Tanganika for the decks and have kept some to plank the hull on one of my future models as the colour looks far more suited to that.

It is clear why walnut is so popular though, consistent quality, close grain and quite easy to bend. Very 'user friendly' I have mentioned before, I absolutely hated the look of the Pegasus prototype model, as it was done in walnut, and I had always envisaged using the warmer hues of Tanganyika. (In lieu of a better wood like cherry, which would be prohibitively expensive for a commercial kit).

I don't mind it for decks (I think limewood would be OK, as in reality, the deck planking on the real thing was almost white, light grey even), but to give the hull and deck different tones when using the same wood strip for both, I apply a couple of coats of matt wood varnish to the hull, making the planking slightly darker, and just spray the decks using Army Painter matt anti shine varnish, along with the rest of the model.

logo.jpg

Would it be possible, as a smaller and more high range model producer, to provide upgrade wood choices to those requesting it. I would except that you could not stock all woods and so it would incur an extended delivery time and handling fee. The standard kits could be sold through the normal outlets as the method of providing your regular sales. It would prevent these piles of Walnut and Tanganika that I don't know what to do with other than throw away.

Cherry, pear, box or beach for hull planking and maple, lime or box for the deck. You would have to limit choices to stop it getting silly.

Incidentally I have just brought an old kit which strangely has Tanganika for the hull planking but Walnut for the deck! Not sure that is going to look right.

Current Build(s):

Completed Builds:

Chris - did you consider a similar approach to that which Chuck is taking on his Winchelsea project...the carved results are just amazing.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

7 hours ago, Beef Wellington said:

Chris - did you consider a similar approach to that which Chuck is taking on his Winchelsea project...the carved results are just amazing.

I will have to look. This is a learning experience for me, all I know is that I want to use the same people for supply of parts, including master carvings if possible - plus I need to keep costs down if I want to sell the kits at reasonable prices. At the same time, I do not want to restrict myself to subjects that have no carvings, and know that having masters made will not be dirt cheap.

7 hours ago, Thunder said:

Would it be possible, as a smaller and more high range model producer, to provide upgrade wood choices to those requesting it. I would except that you could not stock all woods and so it would incur an extended delivery time and handling fee. The standard kits could be sold through the normal outlets as the method of providing your regular sales. It would prevent these piles of Walnut and Tanganika that I don't know what to do with other than throw away.

Cherry, pear, box or beach for hull planking and maple, lime or box for the deck. You would have to limit choices to stop it getting silly.

Incidentally I have just brought an old kit which strangely has Tanganika for the hull planking but Walnut for the deck! Not sure that is going to look right.

Same applies as above, if I can get a reliable source of other woods in the sizes required, I most certainly will. At the moment, all of my investment money I have from selling my car must be spent as wisely as possible, and wood upgrade bundles is low on the list of money to spend. That may change, however, once I have a couple of kits out and can start to re-invest and look at better options. I cannot find any reliable supplier of 1x3, 1x4, 1x5, 1x1, 1x2mm and other size pear, cherry, beach, boxwood strip or sheets. If anyone could point me the right direction?

logo.jpg