Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Jesse,

Testor's used to make a "wood" color that worked well as a base.  Then with dry brushing you can some detail to give it a wood appearance.  I haven't seen it but then again, I haven't been looking for it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Your wood simulation on the decorative trim looks very convincing! As far as I remember Chuck published once in his original Syren build log how he did the wood simulation with paint. There were several layers involved and I think he also used the Golden Oak wood stain as a "wash". 

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks Mark, I actually have a bottle of that.

Thanks Thomas, hadn't thought about using the stain as a wash. I'll give it a try.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Well, after multiple tries I got the paint to match good enough. Thanks for the tip Thomas. The Golden Oak stain wash did the trick. The pieces are not cast very well. None of the window pain squares are the same shape or size. I tried to make them look as close to the same as I could with the paint. They don't look as nice as I would like but may go with them anyway- still undecided........

Jesse

post-6826-0-92524200-1448556869_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-67288900-1448556891_thumb.jpg

Edited by JesseLee

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hey Jesse -

Your quarter badges look good to me.  I don't think you could get a closer color match.  What was your "recipe"?  I know you said you used the Golden Oak stain as a wash, but what color and brand of paint did you use under it? 

And Happy Thanksgiving.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Thanks guys, I guess I'll go with them rather than try to build copies out of wood

Gary, I painted an undercoat with Testors Wood color enamel paint. This gave a good base color but was too glossy looking even though it is flat paint. Over that I did some washes with acrylic Teddy Bear Tan & Tan colors. Over that I did some very light dry brushing of brown to try to give some appearance of wood grain. Did a little bit of dry brushing with a tan color I blended up myself. Over all that the wash with the Minwax Golden Oak Stain (that I forgot to put in the picture). The stain gives a shiny look at first but after handling it some & dabbing it with a dry brush that sheen sort of rubs down & it looks more flat. It looks a lot like wood before you rub it down but it just looks too glossy. Flat matches the wood on the ship where it will be attached better but it does take some of the wood grain look away. Couldn't figure out a way to keep that wood grain look without it looking like glossy wood.

post-6826-0-53953100-1448556484_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments about the paining on the quarter badges. Haven't glued them on yet. Was still toying with the idea of remaking them with wood but I'm thinking I'll go with these.

Real life problems have been keeping me away from the shipyard way too much but I've been squeezing in every minute I can. Been working on the port lids. It's been going painfully slow. Just got the port side ones done tonight. Now to start the starboard side ones.

post-6826-0-81576500-1449200147_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-81070000-1449200169_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-43378800-1449200198_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-03616300-1449200224_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. Got a question. The port doors have eyebolts on them. Did they grab the eyebolts by hand to pull the doors up or were there lines tied to the eyebolts? The plans show no lines.

Jesse

Nice work JesseLee.  I would imagine they tied a rope to the doors to pull them up and let the top ones down.  Too long a reach over board and besides these doors must weigh enough to make it awkward otherwise.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Wonder where they would go to & tie off at?

They may have had some tackle and a tie off cleat in the overhead, between the deck beams and carlines. I have battle station plans and that's where the gunport door operating mechanism "resides".  A couple of single sheave blocks is all.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'd like to see a picture of that Ken

Here you go, Jesse:

post-15839-0-39556500-1449415054_thumb.jpg

The notes are mine, sizing the blocks. This plan is part of a practicum over on the MSB site as a Battle Station practicum. It's done in 1/32 scale.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Jesse,

What Ken shows would be for the top half of the port.  The lower door hung open.  When they needed to be closed, a hook and rope would have been used to catch the eyebolt and then pulled up.  As I understand it, on some ships, the ropes would have left attached (Captain's choice) and tied off at the breeching ring.  To secure them, they would have been tied up from the lower lid to the rings in the upper lid.  On some ships, the securing ropes when to an eyebolt.  I'll see if I can find picture. 

I wondered the same thing when I did the spilt lids on my Constellation and it took a bit of research to find out.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark. I tried to look it up but couldn't find anything

I'm looking through my notes and I'll do some more looking.  Maybe... zu Mondfeld has something...  or  not.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

catching up Jesse.......really coming along nicely  ;)   making good progress too! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Shaped the Boarding ladder steps. Added brass pins so they would hold better. Used thread to line them up straight.  Glued the Quarter badges on. Added the Fenders, Chesstrees and Channels.

post-6826-0-65584600-1450748979_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-69792100-1450749015_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-93537900-1450749054_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-56580800-1450749090_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-12742700-1450749115_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-14316200-1450749445_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-87068900-1450749465_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-18832500-1450749489_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-87423100-1450749541_thumb.jpg