Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Jesse the hardware mfgs that make door knobs and such out of brass, put a coat of lacquer on the finish to protect it. You might try that on the copper plating. I would try it on some left over plates to make sure it doesn't damage anything. Just a thought. Your ship looks amazing.

Greg

GREG H.

Shaped the pintles & gudgeons. out of a flat brass strip. Drilled holes for pinning to ship. Figured out a way around the soldering. Since the glue wasn't holding the pins on the pintles I made a much longer pin & inserted them up into the wood with CA glue. They are pinned in the notch in the rudder & come straight down laying against the pintles. It looks just like it was attached to the pintle & no one can tell that it goes past the pintle & up into the wood. I did add some CA where they touch in the bend of the pintle. This works well & is very sturdy.

post-6826-0-56794600-1446567476_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-74339000-1446567494_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-17265400-1446567517_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-01767100-1446567536_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-91842200-1446567559_thumb.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks guys. It almost stumped me....... almost

I had these super tiny b brass nails from years ago. I wish I could remember where I got them. There are not enough to finish nailing the gudgeons to the stern. The heads on these are much smaller than anything else I have so I am now in the process of painstakingly filing down bigger nail heads to this much smaller size. Need about 15 more. I think I drilled way too many nail holes.

post-6826-0-48256400-1446569982_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-35275400-1446570005_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-22572800-1446570025_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

It might be tedious, but the effect is well worth it Jesse.  Really nice work on the pintles and gudgeons.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you Jason.

Jesse

Edited by JesseLee

Nice job on the rudder Jesse. If you're looking for those little nails/rivets, you could ask Dirk/Dubz where he gets those small rivets he uses all the time.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

That looks amazing!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

It might be tedious, but the effect is well worth it Jesse.  Really nice work on the pintles and gudgeons.

Ditto. 

Might be too many nails, but looks good anyway.

Brilliant way to work around the "no solder" issue.  The results are what counts JesseLee.  It's looking really very good.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Saw that I had forgot to make the upper hinge parts at the top of the rudder in the black painted area. Made that & got it all on. Al nails are in & rudder is on.

post-6826-0-56052600-1446846547_thumb.jpg

Outstanding, Jesse.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good catch! I like it!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Glued the letters for name on. I think I got them spaced a little too close together but they are on & I'm not going to undo them. 

Attached a few eyebolts & rings

Painted the figurehead. The instructions left it like unpainted wood. I asked Chuck about it & he said it most likely was painted as other figureheads were so this is what I came up with.

post-6826-0-19841600-1447200755_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-01131900-1447200773_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-64741400-1447200791_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-03714300-1447200806_thumb.jpg

Jesse -

I think your letters look GREAT - straight, centered, and evenly spaced.  I hope I can do as well.  I like your choice of paint colors for your figurehead.  She certainly looks like a syren :) (anatomically correct) .  And she looks very much like the real figureheads I remember from nautical museums.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

I agree with Gary Jesse!  The letters look fine and the figurehead looks better painted, rather than left natural.  :)

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Letters look fine JesseLee.  Yup, figure heads should be painted and your choice of colors is just great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks guys!

Wow! Amazing work! The figurehead looks great! :)

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

I have put the sweep port lids on. Used the photo etched brass parts supplied for the hinges. Don't have any blackening solution so they are painted black. Used the cast metal pieces for the decorative carvings over the stern ports. Played with different tan & brown acrylic paints to make them look like wood. I cannot however get the quarter badges painted to look like wood. I have tried for almost 2 weeks, even taking it all off 7 starting over 3 times. I just cant seem to make it work with them like it did with the decorative trim so I am starting to see if I can build them with wood. Working on the window frames. This is very slow work & is slowing me down a lot. Will still keep trying with the paint too in case I'm not able to duplicate them.

post-6826-0-73091500-1447905069_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-66897700-1447905090_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-05024700-1447905114_thumb.jpg