Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

When I finally decided to tear off the cheeks & head rails I wasn't sure what I could re-do them with since I don't have a lot of milled wood to work with. I do have some lime wood & beech given to me by Dennis all the way from New Zealand. The problem with that was the upper head rail needs such a wide piece that none of these strips would work. I wanted to have all the cheeks & rails made out of the same kind of wood to keep the staining consistent so I had to find another option. I was going to look into getting a piece of poplar from Lowes like Piet told me about but I still haven't been able to get there yet (since being disabled from chronic lyme I can't drive anymore). So I rummaged through all the scrap I've got & found some blocks that were large enough for the upper rail. Don't know what kind of wood it is. It is hard but not real hard. The sawdust from it was yellowish. Anyway with nothing much but some small hand tools & a small hobby saw I painstakingly milled it down & cut & carved out the cheeks & head rails. This wood did so much better than the original basswood did but not as good as a harder wood would. I did have to harden it up some with watered down PVA when I cut the scroll lines. Much happier with these than the first ones.

Used some aluminum tubing for the hawse holes. Still working on the deck side of them.

Jesse

post-6826-0-09983100-1454213536_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-71792300-1454213566_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-28838300-1454213597_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-72354000-1454213677_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-40840600-1454213707_thumb.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Very nice work on the head rails and cheeks, Jessee.  They look great!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with Mark! I'm glad you have gotten it worked out :).

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Jesse -

Very nicely done, and a good "save".  Your head rails are a metaphor for many other things in life - never give up and keep on going.  You worked with what you had and produced a result that looks as good as any of the other build logs on this site.  Keep it up.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Well done JesseLee!  That unknown brand of wood looks very nice and so does your head rail and cheeks.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

You are on a very good track with that head rail! This is one of the most difficult parts of the whole Syren build!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

hey there Jesse.......I see it's never a dull moment at your ship yard.   I hope you recovered most of the parts......naughty kitty  ;)    good to see though that your making some progress.......and looking very nice in the process  :)    super job with the head rails.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for all the positive feedback & all the likes.

I made the top rails out of the same mystery wood & scrolled them the same way. The instructions say to drill the holes for the stanchions part way through the bottom of the top rails then glue wire stanchions (left a little long) in top rail holes, dry fit & measure wires against upper head rails to mark hole positions & get wire lengths. Drill holes half way into top side of upper head rails, clip wires off to right length & assemble all this. I found it easier to glue top rail on then drill from underneath straight through the upper head rails  up into the bottom side of the top rails.  I cut the stanchions to the correct lengths, pushed them up into the holes& glued them. Filled the holes left on the bottoms of the upper head rails with glue & sawdust mix. Worked very well & hardly shows at all. Then made the bumpkins & glued them on. Pinned them with small wires to hold better

Jesse

post-6826-0-46887500-1454983382_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-27508400-1454983425_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-28951900-1454983476_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Very nice result!! It was worth all the efforts I put in.

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Looks great Jesse!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Great work Jesse. Your perseverance has paid off.

Edited by gjdale

Very nice looking head rails JesseLee, will done.  Glad you found some of that mystery wood, it's really looking very nice.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks George, captgino, Elijah, Thomas, Sal, Grant, Ken & Piet - & thanks for all the likes also.

I added all the inboard eyebolts & cleats before putting in the swivel brackets. I started with the supplied brass eyebolts. I don't have any brass blackening solution right now so I tried painting the brass with Testor's flat black enamel paint. This doesn't always work well. I found that I was constantly having to repaint any eyebolts that got rubbed or touched & then the paint build up was too much. Got tired of this so I ripped all of them out & made my own eyebolts out of black wire I have.  I like that no painting is needed & the eyebolts are a little stronger than thin gauge brass but I could not get them as small as the brass ones were. I fear they will look too much out of scale (a little too big) but it's the best I can do at the moment.

I used the metal cleats supplied in the kit - had to clean them up a lot & added wire pins in the larger ones because they had none. the instructions say to paint them red , black or to look like wood. I see that most everybody else who have done the Syren have gone with red but I decided on black instead (don't know why- just did for some reason).

When I went to start on the swivel brackets I realized my gun port sides needed squaring up better. Hit them with a mini flat file for a quick & easy fix. The swivel brackets sit slightly above the deck & I had a hard time getting such a narrow edge to stay glued securely so I secretly hid small blocks up under them that the sit on but are not seen. They are more securely attached now.

While working on the inboard stuff I managed to break one of the bumpkins & looking around I noticed I had broken off & lost the stern port lids & a few of the other gun port lids. I think it might have been better if the instructions would tell you to do the inboard work first & then a lot of the outer work but maybe I'm just too clumsy?

Jesse

post-6826-0-79716300-1455243836_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-49009700-1455243867_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-52696700-1455243896_thumb.jpg

Looks great Jesse!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Jesse,

Battle damage in the shipyard happens to all of us...  I just hope you found all the parts.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ouch...I have given up following the order that instructions indicate unless I'm convinced its the right way to go, Caldercraft for example don't suggest doing coppering until the upper deck fittings are pretty much in place which doesn't make sense (to me).

You seem to be past the ringbolt conundrum, I similarly failed trying to blacken.  In the end, I simply stuck hundreds of the eyebolts into a polystyrene sheet and used a dull black primer/topcoat mix from a spray can.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hey JesseLee, if those are the black wire eye bolts you put in, well, they look pretty good from here.  I wouldn't worry about them being slightly out of scale, it surely doesn't show.  Nice progress my friend.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 2 weeks later...

Been struggling to get much done. My illness has been acting up lately leaving me feeling pretty bad about 2/3 of the time making building difficult. I was about to start on the swivel brackets & pin rails. Looking at some others Syren build logs I see rudder coats being added. I tried to look up whether there was one on the Syren & found no info at all but I like what I see on the other builds so I decided I would do one too. I made a jig for making it off ship. Used an old bandana my daughter had thrown out. It will be painted black when done so it doesn't matter that it is pink right now. Began the process of trying to figure this out.... 

Jesse

post-6826-0-61967200-1456094861_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-64227900-1456094892_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-74954000-1456094925_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-18699400-1456094961_thumb.jpg

Edited by JesseLee

This took several do-overs before I got it to look & fit right. During this process one night our cat decided she wanted to lay as close to me as possible. She jumps up on the bench, steps over the ship as I'm working on it & lays down right behind it. I picked her up & put her on the floor. She jumps right back up & lays her head down. I am getting soft as I get older. In my younger days this would have resulted in the cat getting a flying lesson. I gave in & left her there & worked around her the best I could since I wasn't going to work on it much longer anyway.

Jesse

post-6826-0-36824000-1456095727_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-83123300-1456095765_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear about the "flair-up" Jesse, but there's no deadline on her. Just concentrate on getting well!  :)

Edit: Your cat probably senses you're not feeling good!  :P

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Yes George, the cat & the dogs are very sensitive to this. The sicker (don't know if that is a proper word) I feel the closer they cling to me. One of our dogs will shove herself up under my bench even though there isn't really room for her under there on some of my bad days.

Jesse