Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Jessie,

I understand that sometimes life gets in the way.  I am retired and I still have difficulty spending as much time on my build as I would like.

I am going to continue trying to see what I can accomplish in wood. I have been seriously considering a sherline lathe and if I go to brass I will definitely pull the trigger.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Got past the appraisal. Now have to get past my body crashing from all the work. Hope to get back to the shipyard soon. I'm really missing it.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after a longer than expected delay for multiple reasons I have got my carronades turned. They still look messy at this point. I tried putting a coat of paint on some before they were sanded down to the right thickness so some of them show traces of paint. The earlier ones I cut off without thinking about the big ring on the back. After a few of these I made sure I left enough wood sticking out to file out the rings.

Two of the kit supplied metal ones are laying beside them as a comparison. The ones without them I shaped out a ring plug in wood, drilled a hole & glued it in.

The holes still need to be drilled out of the rings and the lugs still need to be added. The barrel holes still need to be drilled out too but they are moving along now!

Jesse

post-6826-0-24330000-1465496733_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-75272200-1465496765_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-65183100-1465496787_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-69015500-1465496813_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-74091500-1465496833_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

A big improvement Jesse.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

JesseLee,

Those are carronades!!! Just chuck that other flimsy stuff .... you are really doing your build proud ! Hope you're doing well yourself. Keep it up, better slow, than not at all ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Those carronades are a major improvement from the kit stuff! They will look great on the ship!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Drilling out and shaping the rings that the elevation screws will be in. Sanding toothpicks down to make the elevation screws. Drilling small holes & gluing metal eyebolts for the breech line rings. Haven't completed these steps on all the carronades yet but showed the pics for the few that I have so far.

Making & painting the sleds, pics coming......   Also have to make lugs & add them to the bottom of each carronade.

Jesse

post-6826-0-13601000-1465673313.jpg

post-6826-0-50029400-1465673336.jpg

post-6826-0-17105000-1465673372.jpg

post-6826-0-92075400-1465673393.jpg

post-6826-0-94710700-1465673436.jpg

post-6826-0-38009800-1465673461.jpg

I caught myself smiling at those, Jesse.  They are looking great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mighty fine looking carronades JesseLee.

Cheer,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice job! They are looking great!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Thanks for all the supportive comments and Likes!

When I started on the sleds he parts did not get cut through very good & most of them broke in the process. Made a template to keep all the eye bolts in the same place on all of them. Got them all done & ready for the carronades.

Jesse

post-6826-0-77642300-1465860864.jpg

post-6826-0-58779200-1465860889.jpg

post-6826-0-50877600-1465860911.jpg

post-6826-0-51130500-1465860929.jpg

post-6826-0-32842900-1465860945.jpg

post-6826-0-82541100-1465860978.jpg

Edited by JesseLee

Nice job Jesse! They are going to look fantastic with the carronades on them, not to mention when they are rigged on the ship!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

I'm not sure if I'm inspired or intimidated Jesse!  You do some awesome work!  I can't wait to get to this project myself.

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep."

- Psalm 107:23-24 (KJV)

Outstanding Jesse. Looking at your work,  I am drooling at the thought of starting my Syren. Your work is truly inspiring.

Regards

Nice work JesseLee and very inventive.  Really admire your perseverance in solving these little set-backs.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone!

Did the lugs and got them on the carronades. Painted them with Testors gunmetal enamel. Having trouble with them not looking as smooth as I would like after painting. Some have a slight lumpy look. We have very humid summers here and the paint isn't drying very well. Wondering if the paint is too thick and maybe thinning it down will work better. Some of the rings are breaking off and I'm having to re-do them.

Getting a little frustrated because I feel like I'm spinning my wheels in the mud and getting nowhere. I feel like I've been on these forever. Seems I can't get these carronades done so I can get to putting them on the sleds and rigging them.

Jesse

post-6826-0-97494900-1466631766.jpg

post-6826-0-11191400-1466631785.jpg

post-6826-0-42889100-1466631813.jpg

post-6826-0-88868700-1466631829.jpg

post-6826-0-38016800-1466631886.jpg

post-6826-0-77961000-1466631898.jpg

Jesse - don't get discouraged. It's a marvel what you have done to build these scratch. If it's any consolation, carronades are just a pain to build, even using the CC aftermarket kits was a very time consuming, expletive laden experience so hang in there. On the flush decked ships they are so key to the overall look that you'll be glad you took your time.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hey JesseLee, I'll echo Jason's advice, don't get discouraged now and that after you have done such an outstanding job in hand-making those carronades.  If the final paint job looks a little rough try to twirl them in some fine sandpaper, like 360 grit or so.  Then put another coat or two of thinned enamel.

Actually, a little roughness to the finish may simulate cast iron and once on the ship it should look just fine.

On the photo they look quite nice, great job so far.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Jesse, I think they look pretty darn good. The paint is a bit rough. Once you come up with a good way to smooth them out you will find that thinner paint will go on much better. Don't get frustrated. You have a knack for working things out.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Hi Jesse

AI is correct 2-3 coats of thin paint is better than one thick one.

But you could have used a sanding sealer, then a rub with some fine wire wool and repeat that twice then apply your paint.

Denis.

Hi Jesse

I said use fine wire wool to rub them down, I said this because wire wool will mold its self round the contour of the cannon.

Sand paper will not.

Hope this helps you.

Denis.

JesseLee,

You'd better thin the enamel. When it's humid it will dry quicker, but you need to add some more layers.

The fibres coming up, that's what I wrote about some time ago: First layer should be very thinned, than you sand with a fine grid paper, or as Denis wrote wire wool, although, that can leave metal particles, and in humid surroundings: rust. After that more layers of paint. I like Piet's remark about the cast iron look though.

Depending on brush or airbrush you thin it down as required. The advantage of an airbrush is the drying. If you spray well, you can almost immediately spray again. It should be dry to the touch. After that the paint needs time to cure/harden and that will take time. Although, with the modern acrylic paints that takes considerable less time.

Hope you're feeling better again

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Jesse,

first of all I also want to emphasize that you did and excellent job on those carronades. Handcrafting these little guys is not easy at all, and yours look very nice! Where the painting is concerned I can only agree with what was already said here by our fellow modelers - the trick is to have several coats with VERY THIN paint. And yes, it can get frustrating at times as building these carronades takes quite a while. I think it took me close to a year from start to finish until I had my carronades done - and I have not even rigged them yet. However, on the good side - on the Syren you only have to do 16 + 2 guns . . . now just think of a ship of the line  :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Hi Jessie,

You cannons look good. I think that the suggestions about sanding or using steel wool should help greatly.  Your cannons are carved nicely and have a great appearance.  Much nicer that the ones supplied.  It is especially nice to see them to scale and happily they still work with the sled supplied. 

I am working on turning my own out of boxwood.  I tried a few different ways to paint but was not happy with any of them. At my skill level they looked painted.  So, to try and get a smoother look that kept the detail, I decided to try wood dye.  As I experiment I liked the way it is turning out.  If I look really closely I can see it is wood not brass. 

Actually, after a coat of poly it is beginning to look better.  Just for a comparison, I may go back and try painting using the suggestions listed here.  I am experimenting on cannon rejects. The good news is that I have lot to experiment on.  The bad news is that... I have a lot to experiment on :-) 

I will be posting the pictures on my build log. Your work has been great to watch and since I am only a bit behind it is very helpful.  

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

super progress  since I last looked in  :)     your cannons came out great!    yea,  it's taken a bit of time,  but look what you've done.

well done!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks as always for all the input & support!

The fine steel wool is working pretty good. I'm still having one problem with the paint. Even though I'm using thinned enamel (Testors), When I handle them it still gets grungy & picks up super fine dust & stuff & turns really dull looking somewhat losing the metal appearance. Were cannons dull looking? Would a clear coat make them look too shiny?

I also just found another potential problem. The instructions say the barrels should be about center or very near center of the gun ports. Test fitting the carronades & sleds mine look like the sit too high. It seems to show more by eye that the picture shows. I have experimented with thinning down one sled & lowering the plug. This lowers it some but it is still not centered. Is this acceptable? How would you raise the gun ports at this point without almost complete deconstruction of the sides? Kinda freaking out here.

Jesse

post-6826-0-15448000-1467484385_thumb.jpg