Bomb Vessel Granado by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:24 - cross-section

Thanks Tim.

Hi Chris. I’ve played with it a bit. It is as thin as water. The best way I found to do it on

something this large is to use a cut up cotton tee shirt. Using rubber gloves of course I

dipped the tee shirt in the dye squeezed the excess out and then rubbed it in. At the ends

I did tape it off and used a small brush to better control it. I’m very happy with the way

it came out. After it dried I also installed three rows of planking below the wales. That

is the extent of hull planking I will do.

attachicon.gifIMG_1902.JPG

Hi Rusty. Nice build sir and seems that other's have allready taken the good word's so I am taking my hat off to you sir. Good job. Gary

It looks great Rusty and convinces me that the next opportunity that I have, I will try the dye. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one using old tee shirts as applicators (It's what I use for Wipe-on Poly).

Bob

Thank you Gary. Your comments are always appreciated.

Hi Bob, yep old tee shirts have almost as many uses as duct tape.

Hi Bob H. I’m sure the tee shirt club is very large. One problem I have is that since

I’m semi retired I don’t wear them out as fast as I once did. I’m afraid someday I

may deplete my supply and have to use, gasp, new ones. :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hello Rusty.

I was looking around the house last week for some lint free cloth and could not find any anywhere.

Until I came across my wife's clean old underwear.

Thinking she won't miss one pair I cut it into little pieces that was ideal for applying stain.

Worked a treat :)

U won't tell will u ??

Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Tony! I am in tears with Laughter. Wait till you get caught. :D :D :D

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Oh no I won't tell but if I run out of tee shirts I know where to go!  :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Rusty are you going to Tony's house? B)

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

I absolutely would Floyd. Just have to time it for when his wife is out! :P 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty the work so far is superb, had to laugh at the T shirt stories. I have found that an old worn out cotton bed sheet works very well and is also lint free. One sheet provides a lot of 12 inch squares of rag. no dangers involved in procurement either.

Merry Christmas to you and family.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Well Mike My advice is to make sure there is no one laying on the sheets before you try to cut them up into rags for ship building. ;)

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Thanks for the tip Mike. Now I just have to “accidentally” tear a sheet so I can give it a try.

Had a good stretch of time in the work shop. I have been planking above the wale.

Very straight forward until I got to the sweep ports and gun port openings. Then I

had to notch the plank. It was a slow process of take a little off, check, take a little

more and recheck. After several times it worked out.

post-43-0-30082800-1428521240_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-26815100-1428521233_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-50440300-1428521245_thumb.jpg

Now its time to plank the starboard side and then a bunch of treenailing.

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thank you all for stopping by and for all of the likes.

Hi Ben, Thanks. It’s really fun using multiple woods.

Hello Jakob. Thanks for joining this motley crew and your kind words. :) 

The starboard side is now complete.  Now it’s time to drill a lot of

holes and make some treenails.

post-43-0-78112100-1428521358_thumb.jpg

No work or playing in the shop for the next couple of days. :( 

I also want to wish a Merry Christmas to everyone and their families here at MSW! :cheers:

See you again soon!

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Paddy and the same to you!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Merry Xmas Rusty,

I hope Santa brings you a lathe/mill so you can make your canons ;)

Thanks Grant. Although Santa’s fund had already be allocated, thus no lathe under the tree, he did leave

me a Crown Mini Turning Set of miniature lathe tools with 3-3/4-Inch 95mm H.S.S. blades and 6-Inch 152mm

rosewood handles with brass ferrules containing: 1/8-Inch 3mm Gouge, 1/4-Inch 6mm Gouge, 1/16-Inch

1.6mm Parting Tool, 1/4-Inch 6mm Skew Chisel and 1/4Inch 6mm Round Nose Scraper. :)

post-43-0-15842900-1428521498_thumb.jpg

These will make a nice start and could be used with a “drill press lathe” until I can whine enough to get a

lathe for my birthday! B) 

Well everything has been cleaned up, grandkids have all returned to their home, and now it's shoptime! :) 

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Glad to see you have the right priorities. :) Too bad I have to work today and house guests are still here!

Sorry Floyd, no work till Monday! Yippeeeee!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Nothing spectacular, just plugging along here. Holes drilled for treenails,

holes filled with boxwood treenails, everything sanded down to 400 grit

sandpaper and one coat of wipe on poly applied.

post-43-0-74415700-1428521654_thumb.jpg

Now I have to make the cap rail and start working on some of the cleats and gun carriages.

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Jakob, Yes she is going to be a big one.

The sheer rail was cut from cherry as it’s hard enough to hold an edge but soft enough

to make scraping the edge easier. I used a dremel and files to first remove the razors

edge and then cut the shape into the old blade to make a scraper. After many passes

I obtained the edge I wanted.

post-43-0-88834600-1388244391_thumb.jpg

I then sanded it smooth, stained it with Fiebing’s and

left it to dry.

post-43-0-07227500-1388244398_thumb.jpg

After it’s good and dry I’ll rub it down and apply a coat of wipe on poly.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Any more thoughts/progress on gun procurement?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Augie, Lots of thoughts but not much progress. I’m still cussing my brother who was a

tool and die maker. He retired and moved to NC and doesn’t have any of his tools anymore! :angry:

I’m lusting over the Sherline 4000B Lathe Package but the Proxxon DB 250 Micro Woodturning

Lathe is much more in my price range. Then between the two you have the Taig MicroLathe II. I

know the Proxxon is only a wood lathe but how much metal would I turn? Then also I could use

it for now and sell it later if I decide to upgrade to a metal lathe. Oh the problems of semi retirement.

If I was still working fulltime I’d just work some OT and pay for it. :(

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty,

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I would offer this additional thought for you. Turning very small wooden parts in a wood lathe, using hand held tools, is a very delicate (and difficult) operation as just a tad too much pressure will destroy the part in the blink of an eye. If you use a metal lathe, the tools are held in the machine and applied with great control, making the manufacture of small parts so much easier. So it's not a question of, "how much metal would I turn", but more one of, "how much control of the tool do I need?". I know the outlay cost is more, but you will remember the quality of the Sherline long after you have forgotten the price.

Hope this helps.

Edited by gjdale

I've used metal lathes many years ago ..... never a wood lathe.  Grant's advice makes sense.  Of course you could always get a new brother-in-law.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Tough choices it looks like, Rusty... metal lathe or new brother-in-law.  Hmm.......   ;)

Seriously, the control issue is a big factor. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark and Grant. Having never used a lathe before or even seen one used, I never thought about

the fine control needed for small parts.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)