Artesania Latina

fish

I'm building the AL Le Renard. My biggest complaint was this pressed wood or plastic bow piece that I thought was just awful. The wood isn't great, but not bad for what I paid for the kit (less than $30 abuot 15 years ago). I'm hoping I have enough to complete the job. The castings seem fair, though the carronades do appear really simple and underscale. My first kit was a Constructo Enterprise, and I have to say the AL instructions, with pictures, are way better than Constructo's so far, though Constructo's ship's plans were good and matched the pieces. Overall, though, I'd say I got my money's worth from the AL kit.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

I built 3 AL kits early on and enjoyed building them all. The thing I like about their kits is that they're fairly easy to build and they build into nice "decorative" models. That is, they may not be the most accurate kits on the market, but they make neat "classic" ship models for your living room or den. In general, I've found that they're designed to go together pretty easily and their design seems to work – At least it did for me.

Of course, if you start to kit bash and upgrade, adding details and all, the amount of time it takes to build one of these will increase along with the difficulty level. So, you may not see much benefit in building their kits at that point and might find a more sophisticated manufacturer/kit.

With the experience I have with ship modeling now, I probably wouldn't pick one of their kits for my own build today. But, I enjoyed them and I think they're perfectly good kits. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I like how AL have colour plans to help with identifying parts, but i think I will give AL a miss for a while. Not really my cup of tea. But everyone has their own opinions. I'm getting through one of there kits now, King of the missisippi, if i can only find my camera I will post pictures!

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 4 weeks later...

seems like AL doesn't win majority hearts.. maybe a 50:50?

Anyway, when I was looking for my next build, I found this AL kit kinda cheap at this size! Only £153.

Artesania Latina Hermione La Fayette 1:89

al22517.jpg

Scale: 1:89
Length: 750mm
Height: 596mm
Width: 290mm

I've searched thru the net for more images on the Hermione build, but couldn't find many.. (around 10 are the ship images, the rest are Emma Watson) :D

I've also learned that a replica is just launched last year or early this year at the same dock in France! 

The price is very attractive for me, but reviews here really make me worried about her quality and instruction..

Not sure if anyone of your have more detail info on this kit? 

Visit My Blog! 

http://malaysiamodelship.blogspot.com/

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

hi Zyxuz .

I found  an online store selling it for 142.99 pounds.

since you have building experience even with the AL instructions you should have no trouble finishin git

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

• 1 month later...

Hello All

I have built 4 Artesania Latina kits and found the Harvey about the best of them. The others were Mare Nostrum, Le Hussard (very heavily bashed) Jolie Brise. I am also Building the Bounty ( a different kit from any others I have seen from AL bought many years ago . The endeavour which is not very accurate but I have pictures of the replica and will bash the kit to match it. I am also building a Corel Berlin which is a single planked hull and has  some interesting instructions and plans.

The worst kit I have awaiting is a Panart version of the WASA or Vasa the plans arrived on a faded photo copy sheet in A4 so looks like I will have to purchase a set independently. The best kit I have so far yet to build is the Vanguard and it is very well made and has very good sets of plans.

Someone was asking about the Santa Anna I have  kit in dry dock at the moment and the plans arrived on a CD which is different and so has the plans for the Surprise.

But to answer the questions I have found some AL kits are quite ok and some are just pigs of kits you just have ask around and be selective with what you get from them. If you are looking for historical accuracy then would not suggest them but the kits once build and issue sorted out look quite well. I have never had a problem with the timber and usually have some left over which I keep as spares for other kits

Other manufactures do have their good and bad points so I would put most as even on cots and quality.

Currently Building AL Endeavour, Al Bounty, Corel Berlin

In Dry Dock Panart Vasa, Sovereign of the seas, Soleil Royale, San Filepe, and the largest Victory kit they have.

Corel Wappen Von Hamburg. AL Santa Anna, Surprise, Constellation and Amati Vanguard

• 2 weeks later...

I find the AL kits are great for 'scratch' building. I only bought mine because at the time, I had no idea of the quality and as it is a 10 hour drive each way, to my nearest hobby shop, I usually have to buy in bulk.

Overall, the kits are inaccurate, but this may only be a problem if you want to stay 'authentic'. I try to get close, but then I pick a particular time and try to stay with that, but will never lose a moment's sleep over it.  I really do enjoy working with them and as I don't have the opportunity to compare model brands 'in the flesh', I live with my decision.

What I aim for is a model that is reasonably close, and these kits present the opportunity to modify them to one's particular taste.

For me, it is the journey rather than the destination and modelling is an incredible and interesting diversion.

Errol.

• 8 months later...

My first time is an Artesania Latina build, the Independence 1775, which has gone fairly well so far. The instructions (with some bits 'lost in translation') are OK for the woodwork construction. My problem now if anyone can help is that the rigging instructions are drawings/diagrams only. These leave a lot to be desired. Inaccuracies, conflicting diagrams, and missing drawings of pathways of various rigging.

I am completely stuck now as there are quite a few single or double blocks which are attached directly to the decking, with no indication as to what they are for. No obvious clues either!

Has anyone made this model and could they help with any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

England, Uk.

I was bought the AL Scottish Maid as a Christmas present. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to find that the instructions were appalling for a start but, most seriously, all the dark wood content of the boat, mostly walnut for the second planking but a great deal more was totally absent from  a sealed box.

I emailed time and time again to AL who offered to supply the missing wood if I paid for it but refused to accept it was their error. I will never buy an AL kit now of any description and would seriously suggest that no one else does either.

I have had a lot of dealings with OcCre which I gather was started by AL employees. I now understand why!! They are more than helpful when you email them. I have done a lot of their kits (non-boat) which have been excellent in quality and instruction.

Having said that I am building their open sided Bounty at the moment. The quality remains good but the instructions are awful but, even so I would recommend them way over AL.

Hope this is helpful to somebody.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

I´m about my first AL kit. Sufficient to say, lots of mods are going on - but my kit is old, bought from e-bay, cheap and a surprise when I opened it. Have a San Francisco on the shelf, just waiting for more bashing, as lots of things seems wrong or are just too ugly to be used (metal pre-cast parts are the worse). AL kits are good to bash, though - And I like to do exactly that. So, if I can by another one cheap, I will. Never will buy it from their site, though.

I've done the AL Swift and King of the Mississippi.  In fact, they were the first two kit models I built.  I probably wouldn't do another AL kit.  I really don't like the way they think--the way they construct things like bulwarks and other hull details.  Plus sometimes they get the scale of fittings way off.  But I have to thank them because thanks to those kits I learned (I think) how to figure out a better way to do things.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

I am currently building the Scottish Maid from AL. The kit was given to me so reasons for this manufacturer doesn't apply here. Since I have it though I find the lack of detailed instructions frustrating. A lot of the wood is cheap quality & many details are not correct. I do agree with Vivian they would be great kits for bashing if you can get them at a good price. I wouldn't recommend AL to an inexperienced modeler but if you have some experience you know how to deal with these things & even though they can sometimes be frustrating it can also be fun, it brings your creativity out. So I don't think very highly of this manufacturer but I sure do appreciate the gift of this kit. Haven't had a new kit in years & its way better than nothing!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

It was the Scottish Maid that was given to me as a present and half the wood was missing from a sealed box!

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

• 1 month later...

I have found most all kits from Manufactures like Latina, Occre, Mamoli, Constructo, Mantua are usually questionable about accuracy and some have decent materials while others have great materials. To me, out of all the manufactures kits that I have built/kit bashed Two stand out as of the highest quality as far as most of the materials and believe it or not, Constructo and Model Shipways top my list. But out of those two kit manufactures, accuracy goes to Model Shipways hands down. When I buy a kit, the first thing I do is ditch the instructions, then I look through the wood and see if there is anything decent and in most cases I use most of the wood from all of the kit manufactures. Now the metal pieces are questionable, if they look good and seem to be some what historically accurate, I will use them, but chances are I will fashion my own quite often out of wood rather than metal.

To me, I prefer a bit more accuracy than quality of the kit, but I'm not going to beat up a kit manufacture if they aren't spot on. I'm building a model from a kit whether bashed or strictly kit built. It will not be museum worthy no matter how much time I put into it. Now, if I'm going to scratch build something that to me should be museum worthy then quality and accuracy would be paramount. People spend way to much time worrying about the small stuff when they could be modelling something nice to donate, give to their children or sell.  

I have a few AL kits and find the quality varies considerably.  Have finished the swift and have the first planking completed on the independence. I also am starting the first planking on the Dallas.  My Swift and the Dallas are 80's vintage and have pine for the first planking. This just doesn't work well at all. The Independence used lime/bass or something similar and was much easier to plank even though a more difficult hull shape. 2 recent AL kits I picked up, the Hermione and the San Juan Nepomuceno, I am very disapppointed in - a lot of metal components that should be made of wood, and both are just single planked hulls. These are a couple of difficult blunt bow ships to try to single plank. Think both are advertised some places as double planked hulls.

Current builds:  Caldercraft Cruiser, Mantua Astrolabe

Almost Finished: Mamoli Hunter

Completed:  AL Swift, Constructo Albatros

Hi all

Currently collecting ALs HMS surprise.doing it over 14 months as its going to be a future,and probably heavily bashed project.so far all bulkheads and frames have turned up and would appear to be birch faced ply , some distortion in the longitudinal bulkhead but easily corrected.frames are OK again in birch ply.first timber arrived today and is all in decent quality European lime. I have built Al's kits before and apart from dogy castings and limited instructions they seem OK.if you really want a challenge try building a vintage(60s or 70s). Billings kit.by today's standards a real nightmare. But the beauty of this site is such...if you are a first timer or are just stuck.....just ask.most of us are more than willing to help or a least point someone in the right direction. Another thing to remember is these model kits are made to be commercially viable hence a lot of the time they are compromises....otherwisevery few of us would be able to afford to buy them!

Regards ....mick

My experience with A.L. is not to good as well.  I found the wood inferior or so dried out as to be useless.  The bulkheads on one kit had to be replaced because they delaminated and split.  Over all they make a nice model but be prepared to do extra work to make them usable.

David B

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago a friend of mine owned a model shop that specialized in ship models may he R.I.P The swift was the kit that he would sell to a beginner. It makes into a real beauty and the wood can be easily replaced. Even though not fancy, I have seen several of them in many different places.

David B

Joe,

Your last sentence is what this hobby is all about.  And don't feel bad about all the comments.  Ask the same question about any manufacturer and you'll see a lot of complaints. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That is exactly the point Joe and all of these build into very nice models and something you can be proud of. I don't believe in blaming my short comings on something else if things don't turn out like I wanted and AL kits are anything but bad kits, years ago they were one of the go to kits especially for beginners. There will be issues with quality with any kit manufacture especially with the cheaper kits. The main issue I would be looking at if I were you is the condition of the wood in those stored kits. Wood becomes brittle with age and tends to warp in humid houses, even plywood. I have bought and built older kits that I bought from estate sales where the kit was 40 years old and found several warped bulkheads and false keels. I either straightened them out and if that didn't work, I bought the wood and used the old ones as templates and made new ones with nothing more than persistence and a keyhole saw. Sometimes in any kind of modeling, you have to adapt and overcome situations and obstacles, which is what makes it fun.    

I'm building the AL Renard. For me it was price (about $30 when MS was discontinuing it) and subject - I like cutters.

I've got lots of complaints about the kit - I don't like the veneer wood, the side and top-view drawings don't always match up and the molded bow block was a pain, but I thought the instructions were far superior to the Constructo Enterprise I built and despite the problems, it's turning into a fairly decent-looking piece of work despite my best efforts to mess things up.

I figure I won't actively seek an AL kit again, but could see myself getting another if I stumble across a real bargain on ebay.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

I am in the middle of my first build - the AL Dallas cutter. I originally bought this 30 years ago. The price was right and I wanted something challenging without being impossible for a first time builder. I'm not sure if its because it's an older model but I was/am mostly happy with the quality. Even If I'd been able to afford a "better" kit, I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed it any more. Yes, the instructions are a little sparse but I'm not looking to spend my time blindly following a set of instructions. I do have to say that I wished this site had been around when I built the hull. But learning by doing, asking questions, and looking at other peoples work is much better than even the best written instructions. 

I will be looking for more difficult model for my next kit build. Maybe when I retire, a scratch build even (if I can persuade the boss that yes I really do all those tools).

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

• 5 years later...

Hi.

Delighted to see someone who has built the AL Belem. Have you done a full log of it ? I have just bought the kit having spent some months tracking one down. The reason I want to build it is that in the late 1980's I had two weeks sailing on her and have a couple of scrapbooks full of photos. I thought it would be nice to build a ship  have sailed on. Would be very interested to hear of any issues you have had / tips