HMS Victory by gjdale - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

Fantastic work Grant, they look great.

I salute you Sirzeeman40.gif

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

So you simply could not resist the sultry call of the camera.

What Mick said :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

So you simply could not resist the sultry call of the camera.

Visions of "you know who" making his usual demands............ :P

• 2 weeks later...

Jsiegel17,

Welcome to my log. I am truly glad if my humble build has inspired a return to your own build. I thought mine had been going a little while, having started in 1996, but it seems you have about ten years on me! :D

As long we remind ourselves that it's not a race, well be okay! Do you have a build log of your own? If not, it's never too late to start one ;) It will be your best source of advice, encouragement, and inspiration. In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks Lawrence for the kind words,

No plans to go into business with these. If you'd like to buy something similar (but probably better), check out Chuck's blocks on his Syren Company site. I have simply used his method to make my own.

Grant,

Just caught up with all your last posts first class from the launch to the blocks. Having your batteries recharged works wonders glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip.

I have been working my tail off, last couple of months, and just getting back to the first layer of planking. Took a side step and getting ahead of myself and made some tampions for cannons do not know if it will be worth the effort. Also making pikes in between planking but not sure of scale will figure out later.

Again looking forward to your future posts.

When can I place an order for your blocks??

Kudos

John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thanks John for the kind words. Nice to see you back. I look forward to catching an update on your own build.

Thanks Bob,

Judging by the standard of your work that I've seen here, I'm sure you could turn out some pretty nice blocks yourself.......if you chose to (and I have to admit, it does get a little tedious.........)

Well, not much time in the shipyard this weekend, after a killer week at work, so just ran up a batch of 5mm single and double blocks this afternoon.  I used the basic dimensions that Chuck gives for 3/16" blocks and just made them a tad longer (5mm vs 4.76mm).

Here's the result of about 5 hours work (70 doubles and 186 singles):

post-242-0-26891700-1382858532_thumb.jpg

I know the photos start to look all the same, but if don't put it up here, SeeYours will be on my case quicker that a rat up a drain pipe! :)

Morning Grant or should I say Good Evening,

I'll never tire of looking at your blocks mate, so you just keep on posting them pics. :)  :) :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  

We changed our clocks last night ( back 1 hour ).

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Thanks John,

I'm getting faster.  That time included preparing all the blanks from sheet stock, so I'm pretty happy with the afternoon's work.  Of course, if I had Chuck's son working with me, I'm sure I could up the output rate!.............. ;)

Oh for a young and willing apprentice, prepared to work for slave labour rates! :)

Thanks Lawrence for the kind words.

Yes, I'm using the method described by Chuck - using the Byrnes table saw to prepare the stock blanks and score the grooves, the Sherline mill to create the rounded profiles, the Proxxon drill press to drill the holes, and the Sherline lathe to drive my home made sanding tumbler (based on a design by fellow modeller Janos) for final finishing.

As you can see, not an original idea in sight! ;) But that's the beauty of this forum isn't it? :D

I'm just surprised you're not growing your own trees. :D  :D :D  

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Funny you should mention that Augie.............

A colleague at work lives on a small farm-type property and is starting to clear some trees. Knowing of my particular interests he brought in some samples of what we believe to be Quince. I've yet to try milling it, but apparently "there's plenty more where that came from"!!!!!

Grant, I'd like to get on with my build, but I'm having too much fun catching up on your log and many others. Your ship's boats (I haven't even started them) and block are masterpieces. It makes me want to go back and replace all my blocks (not going to happen). Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Thanks Gil, it's great to see you back on the forum again. Looking forward to seeing more progress on your own log shortly.

If making lots of blocks is progress, then I guess I've made some progress!

I know it's getting repetitive, but you know who will be demanding pictures as usual, so here's today's efforts: 433 x 3mm single blocks and 112 x 3mm double blocks.  There's a few you can spot in the photo that won't make the final QC cut, but the reject rate is actually pretty low.

post-242-0-41762600-1383449763_thumb.jpg

One of these days I'll get to start attaching these to the ship!

Who's been a busy boy then :D  :D :D  

They look great my friend and are going to lift your Victory to a higher level, it's always a pleasure to work with good quality materials. :cheers:

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

My Admiral just read me an article from the NY Times about a fellow from Australia who opened his closet door and was buried under an avalanche of tiny wooden blocks.  Must have been a misprint.  :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I  think Grant is trying to pull the proverbial wool over our eyes.  I think that just the same pile of blocks over and over again.  He's actually sitting back and relaxing.  :D  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I wish Mark!!!

Although at times it does feel a little like "ground hog day"......

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Lawrence,

I make the blocks up in batches. The set-up is a little fiddly and time consuming, but once done, it is just as easy to make 200 as it is to make 20, so I just make as many as I can get out of a batch of stock. What I don't use for Victory will go into "inventory" for future builds. And definitely no intention of going into the block-selling business!!!

Time has been a challenge for me lately, and likely to continue that way for a while. But I'll get to start attaching blocks to yards soon......I hope.

Thanks Lawrence,

I make the blocks up in batches. The set-up is a little fiddly and time consuming, but once done, it is just as easy to make 200 as it is to make 20, so I just make as many as I can get out of a batch of stock. What I don't use for Victory will go into "inventory" for future builds. And definitely no intention of going into the block-selling business!!!

Time has been a challenge for me lately, and likely to continue that way for a while. But I'll get to start attaching blocks to yards soon......I hope.

lol - im sure to can find the time to make some for me, my  victory is only on hold, she will be back

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat