Bismarck by Semorebutts - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 scale - PLASTIC - with MK1 detail set

I started assembling the 4 16" guns. I will try it in 3 stages plastics/PE/resin. Plastics went together nicely. 

IMG_1954.thumb.JPG.7eb3125e43b5ef240436be655177aef0.JPGIMG_1955.thumb.JPG.b622814f580034c164e4f1fd22736564.JPG

but the resin is  going to be a different story. They look really good,  but I am hugely disappointed in the fact that the resin blast bags are solid! I have to drill them out myself and its a tapering hole. Its going to be a massive pain. Im still working on the first 1 for 2 hours and still not done. I'm thinking of just not using blast bags. 

Dammit..Why did MK1 have to do that?!? 

IMG_1956.thumb.JPG.56e838593c9006d2eb219bb15f66d85f.JPGIMG_1957.thumb.JPG.e8a59622f8bb3702b98c4c05e5894fc2.JPG

Could you make your own blast bags?  Maybe a clay?   The Bismarck is really coming together well and you're doing a great job.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

putty,, modeller's putty ... Tamiya or Milliput. I've seen someone making sandbags with the latter, and rather convincing - it's a two component type, Tamiya has an epoxy putty which might do the trick ... I've done some work with the other, the black type

when you put it on the barrel you can shape it in the image of the original blast bag ... you can try it out on a plastic spruce from your build ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

they can also be formed by using cloth or tissue paper,  painted over with diluted white glue.   there are a number of choices.......and I'm sure there is something on this online  ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I dont think i have the skill to make my own.  Im not good at scratch building.  So im thinking i either spend all weekend hollowing out 7 blastbags or I order more and wait a week. OR i start on the PE this weekend and hollow out 1 a day next week.  But those are great ideas!  

Edited by semorebutts

Scott,

Everybody can build from scratch, for some it takes a bit more time or effort to get the required result. Those blast bags aren't to difficult. Just give it a try, you can always have a change of mind ... maybe you even like doing it ...

Cheers

Carl

Cog, I will think about it and deal with it next week:huh:.  I will procrastinate and for now I will concentrate on PE. 

I guess ill cut out the PE one gun at a time. I cut the first guns PE out.  

IMG_1969.thumb.JPG.dbbe07619abcf8a8dfccc314d53c7c5e.JPG

It didnt take to long and it wasnt a pain like I thought. Usually ladder rungs and railings are a huge pain for me. 

IMG_1967.thumb.JPG.4ff516479e155eaae6fef781f890c878.JPGIMG_1972.thumb.JPG.39a480d87643964828a0f0a3781e24d3.JPGIMG_1974.thumb.JPG.a2b934d903d91ea5765578ae2cce9aa2.JPGIMG_1975.thumb.JPG.87e422402d87d7605fbc6cba10a79767.JPGIMG_1977.thumb.JPG.cf5c7a8a74089f3016f9b3b38b37aded.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about the broken finger ... you shouldn't have given the finger, though ;) 

You could try the simple things - are you  a right hander (as we say)? little things like prepping for the next part of your build ... or get ready for that next build ... read yourself in etc.

Hope your finger heals quickly

Carl

What Carl said..I'll had "ouch" and it's a PITA for sure.   Hopefully, you're not left handed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

hope you heal up quick  ;)   PE work looks good so far!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Your work still looks fantastic so hopefully that means like others have said that you are right handed.

Lou 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Good morning everyone, yes thank god I'm right handed!  You never realize how much  you need every finger until you don't have one.  Even putting on my sneakers is hard.  

Even with only nine fingers I managed to drill out five blast bags. There is so much oil and dirt on them from my hands. Maybe I should wipe them with alcohol before Painting. 

IMG_2009.thumb.JPG.f28f9781caf7688f7d77e76a84a4a5a4.JPG

some tools of the trade, round files, drill bits and a drill.  I gotta say I didn't think this was possible, I'm suprised it worked. Also resin has a very wierd smell when filing and drilling. 

IMG_2010.thumb.JPG.3832274f1a960bbf125b20a1b4033f41.JPGIMG_2011.thumb.JPG.acb73db7c038213ed72b0df6c208d308.JPG

First your face and glasses and then your finger. I am beginning to think you just don't want to go to work. It's OK with me though as it means more pictures of your great build, :D

Keep it up............. The build I mean, not the breaking of personal parts!

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

CDW ya it smell really bad for me and my asthma acted up for a while after. 

Lou I think I'm just falling apart at the seams. I started the year with 180 sick hours im down to 32. And i took 3 vacation days and 4 personal days.  Thanks for the compliments

Edited by semorebutts

You like living on the edge ...

So what happens after you've depleted your sick hours? It's an unknown system to us. We have no limitation on sickness, we get checked and a physician decides whether you get back to work or if the sickness period gets extended, and for what period, before you need to get back at the doc's office.

Carl

Same here what ever the doctor says and for how long is what happens.  Today he said 7 more days then see me again. I brought the note to my boss and thats that. 

As for sick time. If its over 5 days for an injury its considered workmans comp, the five sick days will then get put back and workmans comp takes over and gives you 72% of your gross pay tax free for how ever long. The problem this year is it was never 5 days. The face incedent was 4 sick days, then i got phnamonia and the flu which arn't injurys, AND a bunch of single days I called in sick because I am lazy and didnt want to wake up. Thats there fault though, they make it way to easy to call in sick! You dont have talk to anyone. Just leave a message saying " it's so and so can you put me in for a sick day"..click.  If i had to talk to my boss and sound sick I probably wouldn't. 

Edited by semorebutts

Where I worked, we were encouraged to save our sick time by them promising to pay us in full for the first 1040 hours of accumulated sick leave when we retired (30 years service). The second 1040 hours went back to the employer, but anything over 2080 hours total, they paid us half rate. I ended up with close to a year in pay as a severance from the sick leave accumulation. 

Holy crap! Close to an entire year of sick time!?! WOW.!  

For us they will buy your sicktime when I retire for 50 cents on the dollar. 

Also I forgot to mention if we use 10 or more sick days( days without a Drs note) a year a letter goes into my file.  How this effects me i dont know

Edited by semorebutts

I hit the like button but not sure that 182 hours of not feeling well enough to go to work is really a "Like" thing! Get well and stay well would possibly be better!

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey