HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remcohe - 1/48 - English 14-Gun Sloop - POF

I love your work, Remco. Its good to see you back up.

Ed

Thanks guys. Mark, you are too kind  :blush:

So I have a bit of bad news. So Dave (Midnight) saved my log previous to MSW’s move from 1.0 to 2.0.

He was ever so kind to share these files with me to rebuild my buildlog. Unfortunately I’m not able to convert the PDF’s
back to text to get them back into my buidlog. So instead of typing the lot over again I decided to put the PDF’s on a public share where every body who’s interested can download them from.

To make live a little easier I compiled a small index so you now what to expect in each PDF.

All the PDF's can be found here. I know it's a bit of a disappointment not to be able to put the information back into this log but the good news is nothing is lost. Any comments of how its working are welcome.

And now it's time to make some sawdust!! ;)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hello Remco,

Thanks for the PDF's link.

But on the Mac as well ason the IPad a lot of pictures aren't visible.  Just a blank field.

When I tried to open the  PDF's on the Mac, Adobe gave the following message:

Kan het ingesloten font 'PBFYFA+Verdana' niet uitnemen. Sommige tekens worden mogelijk niet weergegeven of worden niet goed afgedrukt. Translation below.

(Can not remove the embedded font 'PBFYFA + Verdana". Some characters may not be displayed or will not be printed correctly.)

Maybe it's the Mac (iOS) or our version of Adobe. I'm curious if it works on a Windows PC.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Anja,

It works fine on my Mac and iPad. But what might be confusing is if a picture doesn't fit on the page it's moved to the next page but the box around it is showed on the previous page, suggesting a blank picture.

So the third big picture in part one is on page 7.

Okay, here's three little mast, the foremast is complete, I just need to blacken the bolts. And for the mizzen mast there is a span to be fitted, but I'm struggling the get a 2" rope served properly, still need to work on my skills there...

post-20-0-86167200-1361303955_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Your masts are looking very impressive, Remco.

I downloaded your log of MSW 1.0. Hopefully it helps me to avoid some mistakes.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Lovely work on the masts, Remco.  You're picking up details that I think most of us never thought of.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That is some very excellent craftsmanship Remco.  I just lookked back through your log, and second time round really makes you appreciate how fine a job you are doing.  That piccy of the tiny key you made is just ....  well puts my efforts to shame :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Remco,

Every time when I take a look at your build and that from the others that where doing scratch build, I think I'm doing self-flagellation…..

Unbelievable what you guys are doing with wood.

I say it before and I'm saying it again, you and the other guys are not from this world!

What you can do with wood is outrageous.

I feel like a novice…...

But I enjoy every step and move that you make.

I'm proud that I'm also Dutch  :D

Sjors

Remco,

Thanks for putting the PDF's up for all of us. The mast are just beautiful, I am lost for words, there isn't anything more that I can say that hasn't already been said. Keep the post and pictures coming, I am always watching.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Thanks guys for you tremendously kind words. 

So last week I had a bit of modelers block, don't know where it comes from but happens once in a while. Drove the admiral crazy..... Finally I got over it by cleaning up the shop, and got back to work.

I'm in the progress of making the Jeer tye blocks, these are massive 20" blocks. For a split second I thought of carving the shaves just like the smaller blocks, but having seen Michael Mott's blocks I just couldn't leave it like that. 

post-20-0-90906000-1361743926_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-12363600-1361743929_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-06264800-1361743931_thumb.jpeg

Advise on the size of the axle for the shave is much appreciated 

Bigger isn't easier, getting the shapes uniform is a real headache....

Remco

Edited by Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Damn Remco, how the hell do you make such beautiful blocks, it's insane what you are capable of.

One day in the far future I would love to be able to even scratch the surface of what you achieve every day.

Ben

Ditto - very very nice work on tose blocks (now, if you are thinking of trashing one or two yoiu are not completely happy with, just send them my way, they'll be better than I could produce right now :))

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

It's ironic that you overcame modeler's block by modelling blocks. They're quite perfect, as usual.

As an aside when I'm facing similar burnout I usually end up cleaning the shop and starting on something simple.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Nice, Remco, very nice. Do you have a plan for how to mass-produce the smaller blocks? I have been thinking about that for a long time, and I look forward to your ideas!

Mark

I find producing blocks on an 'as needed' basis, rather than all at once, works for me. Perhaps it's less efficient, but it's a lot less daunting that way.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Remco, your blocks are looking very nice. Do you make the sheeves separate?

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Nice, Remco, very nice. Do you have a plan for how to mass-produce the smaller blocks? I have been thinking about that for a long time, and I look forward to your ideas!

Mark

Let's hope he does.   I've seen two ways, so far.  Daniel's: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/536-micro-blocks/  and Chuck's:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/273-mass-producing-rigging-blocks-with-a-mill/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thought you would make them in the same way you did the other blocks. Although these look to be approximately 9 mm. A bit easier on the sheaves. Still very well done.

With regards to the sheave's pin, maybe this pdf (http://www.ulvencompanies.com/documents/Skookum%20General%20Catalog_Rev%2001-10_lo%20res.pdf) will shead some light on it

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Remco, those blocks are looking quite superior, as far as the hole size it would be good to use one of the standard rod sizes that is about the same size as the rope strop diameter. I found it useful to drill the hole before doing any of the rounding and shaping I laid out the shape with some 45 degree elipse templates.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.