HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Gods, just perfect! All praises to your work.

Edited by Vivian Galad

Thanks for all the kind comments and likes.

I forgot to add the pictures I made before the pump well was installed. This is the pump intake that is now tucked away deep inside the hull, unfortunately 90% is invisible now.   The last picture is the main mastpartner with the brass bolts positioned but not yet secured and blackened. As a side note, the fabrication of bolts was refined over time, I used to make the dome shape of the bolt head with a cup burr. Later I discovered that when I cut the brass rod with a sharp knife one end is dome shaped and one is flat. I use this to my advantage now. Still every bolt is scored to give it a little grip inside the predrilled hole. If there is intrest I can make little how-to for the thousands of bolts that are used in this build. 

post-20-0-16433300-1446478187_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-43543700-1446478397_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-84237000-1446477922_thumb.jpg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hidden - but very necessary. The intakes ensure that the pump tubes are correctly positioned in the cutouts. A slight miscalculation here can end in grief further up the track with a misalignment of the tubes. Well done.

BTW - you've just reminded me that I need another PE card for my Cross-section of Vulture :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

If there is intrest I can make little how-to for the thousands of bolts that are used in this build. 

Remco I for one am interested in how you accomplish this.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Me too :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Ok here we go.

When cutting a brass rod with a sharp knife a burr is created, I use this both to my advantage and at one point it needs to be removed (otherwise you'll have trouble inserting the bolt in the predrilled hole. Here are the steps involved:

1. This is the rod after the last bolt was cut

2. The burr is removed using a small steel ruler

3. A new diagonal burr is created to have the bolt firmly set in the predrilled hole ( I use bot 0,5 mm brass rod and a 0,5 mm steel drill to drill the holes, without the diagonal burr the fit is a bit loose)

4. Cutting off the bolt creates a burr this is the dome of the bolt

post-20-0-60334200-1446494044_thumb.jpg

Tools needed (I won't cover the use of Liver of Sulphur which I use to blacken the bolts after they are in place):

post-20-0-24137000-1446494061_thumb.jpg

Step 1 This is the rod after the last bolt was cut

post-20-0-63753600-1446494058_thumb.jpg

Step 2 The burr is removed using a small steel ruler

post-20-0-71054600-1446494660_thumb.jpg

Step 3 A new diagonal burr is created by rolling a sharp blade overt he rod to have the bolt firmly set in the predrilled hole

post-20-0-41729200-1446494048_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-78872000-1446494056_thumb.jpg

Step 4 Cutting off the bolt creates a burr this is the dome of the bolt

post-20-0-96426100-1446494049_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-19226900-1446494054_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-66089300-1446494051_thumb.jpg

I use a brass rod with a small hole in the point to push the bolt into place leaving the dome of the bolt proud to the surface. When the are all done I treat them with liver of sulphur to blacken them.

post-20-0-66172300-1446494046_thumb.jpg

The end result (it's hard to capture but each bolt has a nice subtle dome):

post-20-0-23478600-1446495458_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-41631300-1446495462_thumb.jpg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Thank you Remco for the SBS.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hardware on the pump intake looks exceptional Remco.  If I didn't know the scale I would say it's the real thing.  Yeah, those pesky domed burs - - when you don't want or need them.  Great tutorial! 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hardware on the pump intake looks exceptional Remco.  If I didn't know the scale I would say it's the real thing.  Yeah, those pesky domed burs - - when you don't want or need them.  Great tutorial! 

Cheers,

Ditto from me.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 2 weeks later...

I made an error in the building sequence and I should have installed the main mastpartner earlier. Now I got a bit into trouble getting it in at this stage. I had to take a shortcut and omitted half lapping the carlings under the deck beam. After the gratings are installed this won't be visible, but I'm confessing this error anyway :-)

Getting the pump tubes right was a bit of trial and error but after not to much work they were in place without to much hassle, I guess I was lucky today. I added iron bands at the end of the tubes from thin paper.

post-20-0-58677900-1447616212_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-28587400-1447616215_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-06068400-1447616220_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-51955000-1447616218_thumb.jpg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hey, stuff happens babe but as you said, it won't be visible.  I see the two inner holes for the pump tubes are hexagonal, are the tubes hexagonal on the outside with a rond bore?

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Remco,

Although you didn't cover the use of the LOS, I have a question: where do you get the stuff?

I did try to find it, but succeeded in finding european providers selling it in huge (and I mean huge) quantities, or US-providers charing quite "interesting" postage-costs.

Probably, I looked in the wrong direction....

Jan

Hi Remco,

Although you didn't cover the use of the LOS, I have a question: where do you get the stuff?

I did try to find it, but succeeded in finding european providers selling it in huge (and I mean huge) quantities, or US-providers charing quite "interesting" postage-costs.

Probably, I looked in the wrong direction....

Jan 

Have you considered jin-fluid as sold in Bonsai businesses?  It is LOC and comes in usefull small packages (from 250ml to 1l bottles).

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

Jan, I don't remember where I got it. I probably bit the bullet regarding the shipping costs. I searched for you and if you get it from amazon (uk) the shipping costs are ok: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extended-Liver-Sulfur-Patina-Oxidation/dp/B004PLZ4SS

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

• 2 weeks later...

And now for something completely different. I took a break from the tedious deck work, intrigued by Garus' steering wheel on his excellent Victory and especially his duplicating device, I build the steering wheel. Using the technique described in TFFM 2 and 3. Not easy but lots of fun, frustration and multiple redo's later, the results:

post-20-0-07387600-1448999038_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-56101600-1448999042_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-60905700-1448999048_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-35631000-1448999046_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-21666900-1448999057_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-19538200-1448999053_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-89300000-1448999063_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-71738100-1448999060_thumb.jpg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here