HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remcohe - 1/48 - English 14-Gun Sloop - POF

The wheel is fantastic, Remco.  I have been experimenting with a similar tube device for turning small (.20") belaying pins, but using cutting tools - and not shaped.  For that I found that the tube had to be quite strong and also had to hold the turning from moving up as well as back.  Not too successful, I'm afraid, so I am using a different method for holding the 032" brass and using files, but not with a pattern.  Your method using files looks like a winner - but I don't think I'd go as far as using it on cannons.  They really do not need that kind of support, anyway - in my experience.

Great looking work.

Ed

I am so sorry,

shame on me, but Happy Birthday Remco.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks all for your birthday wishes. No one was too late as I still have 1:15 hours of birthday left today :)

Remco

Edited by Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Okay - I'll jump inm also - Happy birthday.  Love this log simply for learning the ways you approach each detail.  keep them coming (after appropriate birthday celebrations of course :))

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Late as well, happy birthday Remco.

Your ships wheel is one of the reasons that I think this forum is one of the best forums on the net. Not only is your work exemplary, but you took the time to show us how you did it.

I would agree that your wheel is one of the cleanest crispest wheels that I have seen congratulations on both events.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas Remco! .... and a late birthday greeting as well.  I would be remiss in my holiday shout-outs to not include you.  Thanks for all the jaw-dropping detail you have built into the Kingfisher.  Build logs like yours are a wonderful gift to the MSW forum ..... a present we open up with each of your posts.  That galley stove will always get a big WOW! from me.  Good things to you in 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after a one year, the basic structure of the upper deck is finished. I never realised I was that slow building my ship :-)

I don't plan to add more ledges between the carlings so there is a better view at the lower decks. Cutting the mortice in the wing transom was a bit tricky, especially as they had to be right the first time.

Time to add tome more bits to the deck.

post-20-0-72474600-1451855996_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-99402300-1451856000_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-82116500-1451855992_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-19597700-1451856003_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-08045000-1451856005_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-07717800-1451855991_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-57749700-1451855989_thumb.jpg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Beautiful work, Remco and well worth the time, I'd say. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That was a year well spent! The photos are a pleasure to an eye... Such a perfect alignment of the deck elements :)

That is one heck of a "work of art" delivered by a very talented artisan Remco - a wonderful legacy you leave us mere mortals to follow :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Superb workmanship Remco, beautiful.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Exquisite!  Just can't stop looking at the pics, just out of this world.  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'm at a loss for words. Purely stunning!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Isn't it great the way time just vanishes while we are completely absorbed with our work, especially when we are enjoying it.

Beautiful work for sure.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

G'day Remco

If you look back in your log, just as I have just done, one year is bloody fast if you ask me, to make that piece of art.

I have said it before, you're a true master, and I for one is so proud to be a witness to this.

Havagooday

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Remco... I hope I manage to be around long enough to, one day, find the courage to build a POF model.  If that time does come, I am confident that this Kingfisher log, along with EdT's beautiful "Young America Extreme Clipper", will be my primary references....

You guys are true masters, demonstrating skills for every modeler in the world to strive to emulate.

For most of us, however, you guys make us feel like a high school runner setting out to run a four minute mile.  Even for those blessed with a bit of God given talent, achieving that level still requires an inner effort I can only admire and appreciate even greater than the end product itself.

I solute you sir.

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Well ~ all the best descriptive words have already been said here so many times, so I'm just going to say:-

​'Anything this good should be illegal !!!'

. . . and I also have to say: WOW !!! 

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

Wow, that is really beautiful work. I can't stop looking at the pictures..

Edited by captain_hook

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

Your work is too fantastic to simply give it a "Like".

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Amen to that Toni. There should be a incredible button or similar! That would be used all the tim in this log.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...