HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remcohe - 1/48 - English 14-Gun Sloop - POF

My bet is on a hypodermic needle chisel. All you need is a steady hand and a good set of eyes.

This seems more difficult then a scraper, at least you have a guide edge with that.

Very nice work Remco!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Stunning simply Stunning :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments  :D

So how did I do it, the how-to was indeed like Jan noticed in the first picture. The divider was used to scrape a thin line evenly spaced from the bottom of the gallow. Multiple passes with very light pressure were needed to cut through the grain. In the middle the cut was done free hand.

post-20-0-70906400-1365100460_thumb.jpeg

Then I used a slightly blunted threading needle to make the molding, again multiple passes and the wood shaped nicely.

post-20-0-88733200-1365100459_thumb.jpeg

And yes Piet  I do have some miniature 0.4 mm chisels made from hypodermic needles and thin steel but I use them elsewhere ;)

post-20-0-85402000-1365100216_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

• 1 month later...

I finally found my way back to my workshop. Real life, other projects and a bit of modelers block got in the way. I finished beam 11 with the hanging knees and now I moved to the bow section to built the fore platform.

The footwalling already has it's final finish so the bare wood looks light in contrast.

post-20-0-36619100-1368732961_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-23647500-1368732963_thumb.jpeg

Two more platforms coming up...

Remco

ps Ben, nope I'm not a brain surgeon, nor something alike  ;-)

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Ah, glad to see you back at it Remco!  How's the Admiral's table coming along? ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice to see you back in the shop Remco - I've missed your lovely build.

Thanks so much guys.

The second part of the fore platform is taking shape. The planking is treenailed, the scarph joint is simulated

post-20-0-77761300-1369049697_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-28251700-1369049696_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-30968000-1369049699_thumb.jpeg

Remco

ps Piet it's not on the drawing table yet....

MSW 1.0 log click here

Great work. Lots of attention to detail. Will continue to follow your build. I got a few nice ideas from this post thank you.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks Scott, John.

I had to rebuild the forward small platform as the deck pillar didn't line up with the deckbeam above. 

More deck pillars and stancions added, a small portion of the bulkhead is made too. The upper breast hook was made using card templates and trimmed further until a snug fit was obtained.

post-20-0-17276400-1369511247_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-64707400-1369511248_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-71146400-1369511415_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

It's tricky, trying to keep in mind everything above the deck you are working on aligning properly later. I'm glad that you caught that earlier rather than too late!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Nice details again! Good to see some action, 'though I understand it is sometimes better to take a brake

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Very interesting process on the copper bolts, Remco. Thanks for posting.

Ed

It's tricky, trying to keep in mind everything above the deck you are working on aligning properly later. I'm glad that you caught that earlier rather than too late!

Trying is the right word, and then comes hoping you've got it all in the right spot. Glad this was an easy fix, further down it would have been impossible...

Ed I now use a cup burr that works even better

post-20-0-58819900-1369599909.jpg

Here the third platform is partially complete and the riding bitt's are test fitted, hard to see but they taper quite dramatically towards the bottom of the hull. 

This is one of those jobs where I would like to have 6 extra hands  ;-) 

post-20-0-08689300-1369599575_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Thanks guys, but who said I only have 2? ;)

The 3rd section of the platform needed more detailing, now I can move on to adding detail to the riding bitt's.

post-20-0-27364500-1369684978_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-82107300-1369684979_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco,

That is a very interesting cup bur. Does it have a name. The problem I have with the ones I use is that they quickly plug up with copper and stop cutting. Yors looks interesting. I will look for it.

Thanks,

Ed

Remco,

One search and I found it. Fox Champion Cup burs. Worth a try. Thanks, again.

Ed